No announcement yet.

Which Lever gun/ caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-30 hands down and if you use the Hornady leverlution ammo you will have a 200 yard gun too.

Comment

I have an 1894 cut down to 16" with a peep sight that is like carrying a toy around. my Henry big boy brass frame is like carrying my boat anchor.

Comment

I hunt the National Forest and a small property near West Columbia and its jungle thick. I use a Marlin 336 youth model 30-30. It's short and quick to point. Ammo is cheap and it's deadly in the thick stuff. I also have a 44 Mag. Either one will of the job.

Comment

Can’t go wrong with a Henry. I have the Long Ranger in 308. I really like it.
          Plus, I also like having a clip. Smooth and accurate for a lever action. They also make it in other calibers.

Comment

.44 mag and get the Ruger .44mag. Then you only have to buy 1 box of amo.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
              .44 mag and get the Ruger .44mag. Then you only have to buy 1 box of amo.
              ^^^^THIS^^^^
              Two guns...one kind of ammo.
              Find a Ruger Carbine in .44mag, plus the wheel gun. Your set.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                What ammo are you shooting? I’ve never had a .44 stay inside anything.
                I usually try to buy the Winchester silver tipped hollow points.i don't remember what grain. Most times when a dog has a hog bayed up you are shooting downward toward it so maybe it ads a little space for the bullet to travel? I usually will try to shoot them in the ear. My grandfather had hog dogs my whole life and I started hunting with him at a young age. When I finally got old enough to carry the rifle to go into kill the hog( or maybe my grandpa started getting to old to) he told me "If a hog charges you stand your ground and shoot him. You're shooting a .44, you're either going to kill him or change his direction. Just make sure you hit him and not a dog!" That advice has not failed me yet lol.

Thinking back on it I may have had some pass throughs on a couple of deer I've had bayed up. I can for sure remember one but there may have been more. I can honesty say I have never had a .44 go through a hog while shooting them in the head or shoulder. Of course I'm not talking about pigs but actual 100+lb hogs.

Comment

I am looking for a .444 if anyone wants to part with one.

Comment

Also I really prefer a marlin lever action over all other I have shot.

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

A Henry in 30-30 would be a really nice option

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                          Don't over look a 357. That's my tracking gun. 158 grain SP is wicked at 40 yards out of a carbine. Got a pass through on a doe at 30 yards out of a bow blind, also killed some 200+ lb boars with it at 50 yards. Bonus feature, you can run 38s out of it for plinking.
                          Yeah, a 30-30 is overkill for dispatching wounded game at close range.
                          Sometimes you'll get pass throughs even with a .357.
                          I normally carry a .357 Marlin but I have used a 44 mag (with 44 specials,) and a 9mm handgun.

Comment

Where is the 45-70 love?
                            Marlin before Remington screwed Marlin up.
                            Last edited by texaspacker; 12-30-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                              Where is the 45-70 love?

Marlin before Remington screwed Marlin up.

45-70 is great for killing but not the best choice for up close, potential collateral damage or quick follow up shots.

A short stroke Carbine in a pistol caliber is the way to go for this application. I’m partial to the 41 magnum but they are hard to find and pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If I go .44 mag in Henry, 16.5 or 20 inch barrel?

Comment

Working...
                                X