Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, palmettostatearmory.com has some steals right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
      FYI, palmettostatearmory.com has some steals right now.
      you ain't kidding...

Comment

Ok fellas. I'm wanting to make an upgrade from my Fraken AR that I put together a few years ago. I want a top shelf rifle. I have found a Colt LE6940 Monolithic for a pretty good price. I just don't know about the monolithic upper. I really don't ever see myself making any changes to the Colt upper but you never know. Anyway, any opinions (good or bad) about that particular rifle?

Comment

Mike,
          pros. its a Colt.

the only cons Ive heard is the weight.
          some light reading from a user:
          I wanted to ask a little advice here, I feel like my patrol rifle is too damn heavy when I need to lug it around for extended periods of time. I'd like to lighten it up, by changing out some of the accessories... little by little as the budget permits. However, I don't want to lose any capabilities. Here is my rifle and its modifications: -Colt LE6940 -EOTech 516 -Magpul ACS stock (4 CR123 batteries). -MIAD grip -Magpul trigger guard -Phase 5 EBRv2 -Viking Tactics Surefire with

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
            Mike,
            pros. its a Colt.

the only cons Ive heard is the weight.
            some light reading from a user:
            http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93134
            Really? Is 6.5# considered heavy for an AR these days?

Comment

7lbs 1 oz is the official weight.
              still minor in the grand scheme.
              If you can find a 6940 for less than $1200, jump.
              (strictly my opinion, of course )

Comment

Can't find the 6940 mono that cheap. Found the 6920 in that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Really? Is 6.5# considered heavy for an AR these days?
                  If that is the case, my ar is obese at 15.5lbs...

Comment

Originally posted by garzanium View Post
                    If that is the case, my ar is obese at 15.5lbs...
                    Yeah, that's why I got rid of my DPMS .308. Great bench gun but impractical for almost anything else because of the weight.

Comment

Hmmmm, Colt's website says 6.79#.

WEIGHT 6.79 lbs (3.07 kg)
                      http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtAdvancedLawEnforcementCarbine.aspx

Comment

After reading this review, I'm leaning more toward the 6920 instead.

I just sold a Colt LE6940 and bought a BCM Recce 16 Mod 0, much happier with the BCM.

I did not do my homework on the LE6940 and was disappointed, much buyers remorse. I did not shoot the gun and sold it quickly, I would not have purchased this gun if I had done my homework and passed on it once before. I bought it on impulse and since Colt Defense stopped making the LE version they are becoming scarce as collectors want the Colt Defense Roll mark. The more I couldnt find it the more I wanted it.

Reasons not to buy a LE6940:

-Proprietary Monolithic Carbine upper cannot be changed, at 7" the rail was to short for me to be comfortable and I could not comfortably mount a light on the lower rail, I could have used a bayo lug mount rail for my light but that defeats the purpose for a free float mono rail
                        -non standard, colt proprietary AR barrel and barrel extension, requires special tool to work on
                        -non standard colt proprietary carbine gas tube (I think) which is slightly exposed on the permantly installed front flip sight post.
                        -front flip sight does not lock in the up position, although a buis for me I like solid irons, this isnt and cant be changed.
                        -the lower shelf is blocked so no RDIAS, unless you mill it out, not a huge deal, probably will never get one but like the option in case I ever run across one.
                        -The matech rear buis iron sight, can be removed, but doesnt allow use of my eotech magnifier and is a bit flimsy when flipped up.
                        -Reports of accuracy not being any better than any other AR

As I have read and agree, Colt really had an opportunity to make a special gun and screwed it up in all sorts of ways. For the same money there are much better guns out there to be had IMHO, like BCM and many others even the Colt LE6920, (you can do all sort of stuff with longer aftermarket rails that wrap around the FSB). Especially if you are into making your own mods. If you love the gun as is then great, because you cant change much, only the rear buis.

Overall disappointing for me, this gun is not my preference. YMMV. Not to say its a bad gun. I am sure it will live up to Colt standards of performance as far as reliability. I just always had this nagging feeling of disappointment about it and did not enjoy owning it. I have a crazy OCD like that.

Comment

stick with an ak47 you cant beat it simple and reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by JEAN DIB View Post
                            I read on the sniper's forum where they discussed between ar n ak. Surprisingly, most picked ar over ak. mostly r mixed review. It was interesting to read, though coming from die hard grunts and gunners.

Comment

mike,
                              I have a monolithic AR, its the one i shoot the least and the first one i'll sell.
                              I wont have another one, I have no use for all that rail.
                              my future builds will have a Troy TRX Battlerail or similar that you can add rail pieces to as needed.

my 6.8 w/10round mag is 8lbs 6 oz. that is not a lightweight barrel either
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JEAN DIB View Post

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
                                Townsend Whelen

Comment

Working...
                                X