Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
    bullets run parallell with the grain of the chrome, and cutting it runs perp, so i can see the flaking issue with cutting IF it was improperly plated to begin with.
    maybe so...but it's still very cool how it stays in the barrel and improves the life.

impressive advancement in combat firearms to say the least.

How it's not blown out after the furst 30rnd clip is kinda crazy...talk about adhesion.

Comment

i'd still want to see these barrels actually on a firearm , running properly ,etc ..

the ones one the right looks like less than 3 inches or rifling at best .. I wonder how you can get the gas system to even function ? I mean , it's nice of you to post a pic like this ,but are these paper weights or do they actually work ? I've never seen a barrel that short on a 223 that actually worked ...

the only one I know that works good is the pws diablo and it's 7" ... and i've seen videos where they run it suppressed and in 7.62x39 ... in full auto ..
      all I can say is .. "NOT with my can you're NOT!"

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
        i'd still want to see these barrels actually on a firearm , running properly ,etc ..

the ones one the right looks like less than 3 inches or rifling at best .. I wonder how you can get the gas system to even function ? I mean , it's nice of you to post a pic like this ,but are these paper weights or do they actually work ? I've never seen a barrel that short on a 223 that actually worked ...

the only one I know that works good is the pws diablo and it's 7" ... and i've seen videos where they run it suppressed and in 7.62x39 ... in full auto ..
        all I can say is .. "NOT with my can you're NOT!"
        this is the archived thread i pulled it from these barrels were cut down for 22LR supposedly, but the mention of other bbls being cut down with no issues is there as well. point is, you can cut em down and they can function properly

Comment

Olympian Ar .223

some new upgrade on ar, new grips and new raised check pad.
          Attached Files

Comment

this is the archived thread i pulled it from these barrels were cut down for 22LR supposedly, but the mention of other bbls being cut down with no issues is there as well. point is, you can cut em down and they can function properly
            with some work .. agreed ..again , we can debate this till we're blue in the face , but there's tons of people that have modified their AR's, cut their barrels and then had to mess with buffers , springs , gas ports , crowns etc.. to make them run right and shoot straight ...

just go to a magpul dynamics course and you'll spot the thinkerers right away .. once you have to shoot a few thousand rounds in a couple of days ..

the guys on the sideline working on their guns are particularly fun to watch !

Comment

To be honest I dont see the point of a 5.56 chambered weapon in less than 14.5" anyway. SBR's are made for CQB, the 5.56 has too much zip and not enough kinetic energy for my liking. 50 yards and in, I'll take a 9, 40, 45, 10mm, 458 Socom, 7.62x39, HK MP7 round (can't remember what caliber), any day of the week over a 5.56.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                To be honest I dont see the point of a 5.56 chambered weapon in less than 14.5" anyway. SBR's are made for CQB, the 5.56 has too much zip and not enough kinetic energy for my liking. 50 yards and in, I'll take a 9, 40, 45, 10mm, 458 Socom, 7.62x39, HK MP7 round (can't remember what caliber), any day of the week over a 5.56.
                what he said !!! here is a video of my best friend at the silencer shoot playing with an mp7 .. my fave fo shore!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryjPAk5DHM"]YouTube - HK MP7 w/ AAC Suppressor[/ame]
                Last edited by imyomama; 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I'd kinda have to disagree with you there Travis. Truth is handguns and their chamberings are pretty poor self defense choices, they can just be stuffed into a convenient sized package to carry. The survival rate from gunshot wounds from handguns is surprisingly high. A 5.56 with the right load is a nasty round for CQB.

If your gonna carry a rifle, at least carry a rifle cartridge.

Clint Smith (or one of those self defense guys that do it for a living) is of the mindset that you use your pistol to fight your way to your shotgun to fight your way to your rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I'd kinda have to disagree with you there Travis. Truth is handguns and their chamberings are pretty poor self defense choices, they can just be stuffed into a convenient sized package to carry. The survival rate from gunshot wounds from handguns is surprisingly high. A 5.56 with the right load is a nasty round for CQB.

If your gonna carry a rifle, at least carry a rifle cartridge.

Clint Smith (or one of those self defense guys that do it for a living) is of the mindset that you use your pistol to fight your way to your shotgun to fight your way to your rifle.

we're just all gonna disagree today ??? the problem with most rifle cartridges for CQB is over penetration , depending whether the thread wears body armor or not is the key.. a 45 hollow point may have better stopping power than a 55 gr fmj that zips right through without the chance of thumbling ..

if have you ever shot a SBR indoors ... it's plain uncomfortable !

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                      we're just all gonna disagree today ??? the problem with most rifle cartridges for CQB is over penetration , depending whether the thread wears body armor or not is the key.. a 45 hollow point may have better stopping power than a 55 gr fmj that zips right through without the chance of thumbling ..

if have you ever shot a SBR indoors ... it's plain uncomfortable !
                      I guess we are.

Over penetration is the VERY reason I stated in my post "WITH THE RIGHT LOAD". If you are gonna use a 5.56 for home defense, just like any other weapon, choose the right ammo. And what is "thumbling"?

Getting shot is pretty uncomfortable I would imagine as well, that certainly wouldn't persuade me not to shoot someone in my house if my life depended on it.

Plus mine would be suppressed anyway.

Comment

I wish I could post a PDF explaining what I mean .. but since I don't know how to do that , just got to post this link .. so please go to URL

click on tech info , and then performance of m16 and m885 post 911 - pdf ..

BTW thumbling is yaw , or basic destabilazation causing a larger wound channel, and/or fragmentation
                        Last edited by imyomama; 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

And your chart there proves my point. Like always, it comes down to ammo selection.

The Hornady 75 grain OTM is my choice for home defense with a carbine. M855/SS109 is a poor choice due to overpenetration.

Comment

screw it...i'm gonna go broke and build a 6.8SBR.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              screw it...i'm gonna go broke and build a 6.8SBR.
                              why not a blackout ?

Comment

hunting application...the blackout to me would be sub-sonic dedicated.

on the want list too

Comment

Working...
                                X