Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roamer View Post
    Sir that is not an acceptable answer. What this comes down to is fairness. Crossbows are legal archery equipment by law and crossbow hunters should be able to take advantage of the hunting that is available on our public lands since there is not that much of it here in Texas. So it is time to start sharing the resources. What makes it right for them to have all the public land to themselves?

As for that remark about crossbows being a loaded weapon and accidentally going off. First crossbows don't accidentally go off if you have the safety on. Second you should never have a bolt in a crossbow when walking around. You should only put a bolt in it when you are stationary. I am sorry but I find it hard to believe he lost fingers. I could see him getting a horrible burn, dislocation, and or a broken hand but amputation is hard to believe. Could you send me his contact info so I can find out what he was doing when that happened?

Plus I have heard bow hunters on here talk about accidentally loosing arrows. So it happens to bow hunters to. They use a trigger system to fire their projectiles as well.

Good hunting.

Just get a stinkin lease... and you won't have to worry about using your crossbow. there ain't any deer worth shooting at whitney or aquilla anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
      Not saying your an idiot, but 80% of the hunters i meet out on the corp shouldn't even have a hunting liscense. And if you dont like bowhunters what are you doing on a bowhunting Forum duh.
      That is very nice of you not to call me an idiot. I truly appreciate that.

Thanks for the warning about the type hunters I will meet out there.

As for your last question.... I did not say I did not like bow hunters, I have friends who are bow hunters, they are not like most bow hunters...I do not like the way most bow hunters I come across think and I said that I do not want to become one... And I know this is a bow hunting forum, but I am a tolerating person and can forgive that.

P.S.

There are also some xbow hunters on here as well.

Good Hunting!

Comment

Hey TG did you and pickles get out of "Class" and get out in the field today?

Comment

It's offical, no doe permit needed this year. See email I received below....

You do not have to have a special permit to kill does on our property. The bag limits are 5 with 2 being bucks and 3 does. There is no other changes.
          Let me know, if you need any other information!
          Thanks,
          Sharon Betik
          Office Automation Clerk
          US Army Corp of Engineers
          Whitney/Aquilla Lakes
          Office (254) 622-3332
          Fax (254) 622-3243

Comment

roamer youre not getting anything accomplished here by complaining to us. there isnt a single person on here who made the decision no crossbows on corps land. that may be their opinion and they are entitled to it (as you are) but they arent beating you over the head with it. and as far as your generalization about "the majority of bowhunters". let them be what they want to be and dont let their opinions dictate what you do or what you hunt with. what youre saying is kinda like wow i havent met many people that drive trucks that i like so i wont ever become a truck driver. and please spare us lowely compound bowhunters of reminding us that we are almost intolerable to you

Comment

Originally posted by TechHunter View Post
              roamer youre not getting anything accomplished here by complaining to us. there isnt a single person on here who made the decision no crossbows on corps land. that may be their opinion and they are entitled to it (as you are) but they arent beating you over the head with it. and as far as your generalization about "the majority of bowhunters". let them be what they want to be and dont let their opinions dictate what you do or what you hunt with. what youre saying is kinda like wow i havent met many people that drive trucks that i like so i wont ever become a truck driver. and please spare us lowely compound bowhunters of reminding us that we are almost intolerable to you
              You are right sir.

I wish everyone good hunting and a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by COUNTRY BOY View Post
                Hey TG did you and pickles get out of "Class" and get out in the field today?
                We got out of class at the regular time. But still made it to an area. I had the logistics right on, Took my single shot .410. Hunted 45 minutes. Shot three times. Had three hits. The first was at 45 yards. I couldnt beleive it . The second at 12 yards. The thrid was 40 yards. The last one I hit, it toppled then regained fight to land in a tree 15 yards away. I reloaded while keeping an eye on the tree, then began the stalk 60 yards away. We could not find the 3rd bird anywhere and I never saw it leave the tree, although it might have. We circled the ground and Pickles never picked up scent. So I'm thinking it somehow flew off the opposite side.

Part Two: I met a few other lake hunters and invited them to join in here. One is a wife of one of the hunters. She is new to bowhunting and this was her first dove hunt this evening. She was very concerned about conduct on this sight, as she would like to have a place her kids could injoy also. I hope everyone can be civilized .

Comment

Originally posted by heartshot View Post
                  It's offical, no doe permit needed this year. See email I received below....
                  Thanks for the conframation Jim

Comment

Well, Congrats on the 2 birds TG.

Comment

I hunted with my boss yesterday morning and limited out by 8:15am with two white wings in the mix. We hunted in burleson. I didn't know you could hunt in the city limits. There is a grandfather law that allows you to if you have enough land.

Comment

LW, stay out of my back yard . I've been hand rasing those birds .

Seriously, most countys and many municipalities have the same ordenance. But it sometimes varys in land size.

Send me a PM about what part of town. I think I already know, as there have been many shooters in that area in the past.
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-02-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I was out this evening for another 45 min in another area. I didn't see a single bird. But from the time I turned on to 933, I saw deer all evening long. The first was a doe and yearling standing in the midle of 933 when I turned onto it. It was all down hill after that . 13 deer total and got blown at a few times too. Got vid of one really nice 8 with an inside of 19-20" and he had a buddy that I think is a 14 with a drop and a kicker. I'll have to review the vid more to certify. Even stumbled up on a black boar with pretty nice cutters, about 220-250lbs at 10 yards. Lots of critters moving this evening, except the doves

Here's a pic of Pickles. She was on fire yesterday . A very happy Pup!

Other two birds belonged to the photographer
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechHunter View Post
                            Well put. Unfortunately Bowhunters or the general public did not get a vote on this topic. Instaed it was a lobby by the Crossbow manufacturers who got this passed with alot of $$. If it were left to those who hunt to decide I'm pretty sure there would be NO crossbows during the archery season. I'm all for crossbows as a form of hunting just not during the Archery Only season, and Draw locks should also be limited IMO.

Comment

I missed openin day but went Wednesday. There was a whole lot flyin where we were in west but the morning provided us mostly white wings and the evening well just good conversation.

Comment

If this rain wouldstop, I'd go this morning

Comment

Working...
                                X