Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbows being allowed on the Whitney corp land is just about as likely as a rifle season in Grayson County. Right Charlie

Nobody wants them,,,,leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      I myself have no issues with crossbows, I'm not going to buy one, but no issues with them. I do however have a problem with someone buying one thinking it's as easy as a firearm. Just so nobody thinks I'm picking on crossbows, my recommendation would be mandatory IBEP and shoot-to-qualify for ALL archery hunters.
      I agree that no one should go buy one thinking it is like hunting with a rifle. Because nothing could be further from the truth.

I also agree witht the hunters safety course which TPWD is working on and already has manuals which were created by the IBEP. I have already sent off for mine and as soon as I can I am going to be certified and teaching a class to anyone who wishes to use the weapon. I also agree that ALL archery hunters should have to shoot-to-qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
        Crossbows being allowed on the Whitney corp land is just about as likely as a rifle season in Grayson County. Right Charlie

Nobody wants them,,,,leave it alone.
        Well Lone_Wolf somebody must want Xbows used in this state because the legislation was passed..... Now wasn't it? Also this is not the same kind of disagreement as that was.....And if you know my name then you know enough to know that win or lose when I put my attention to something I follow thru to the end no matter what the out come is.
        Now to be polite who is calling me by my name and failing to give proper introduction of himself? Name please....

Have a great day and good hunting!

Comment

Hey fella's it aint any worse than the folks who do use rifles on corp land.

Comment

Originally posted by Roamer View Post
            Well if it is that dangerous maybe they need to suspend hunting privileges for everyone.

That is not a valid answer. There is no reason those of us who use a crossbow should be left out of hunting privileges in our state. I am a very safety minded outdoors man and hunter. I know exactly what my target is before I loose that projectile.

SO I find your answer to be in valid as to my question.

Why are crossbows not allowed in Whitney? They are legal archery equipment and Whitney is in a county that has a archery season. That and Whitney is a archery only facility, right?

That is what the corp see's it as. It is a saftey issue when anyone can go buy a cross bow which is already cocked loaded and ready to go if someone walks by and it goes off. Why not just buy a compound bow if you dont have a disability it should stay the way it is.

Comment

Well if it is that dangerous maybe they need to suspend hunting privileges for everyone.

That is not a valid answer. There is no reason those of us who use a crossbow should be left out of hunting privileges in our state. I am a very safety minded outdoors man and hunter. I know exactly what my target is before I loose that projectile.

SO I find your answer to be in valid as to my question.

Why are crossbows not allowed in Whitney? They are legal archery equipment and Whitney is in a county that has a archery season. That and Whitney is a archery only facility, right?
              Mr. Haggerton I work at the lake waco project and its not an issue with just safety, but there is a resource concern as well. Crossbows are a more effective weapon and would increase harvest as it is easier to fire the weapon undetected and you have a further effective range with crossbows. Ten years ago we were still allowed to use guns to take deer out at whitney, it was very dangerous out there and there were quite a few yahoos running around, one fellow was shot in the shoulder at aquilla and something had to be done. The deer population was suffering as well, so for safety and to reduce harvests they went to an archery only policy. We have more hunters out here every year and as pressure continues to rise they may eventually one day have to resort to a lottery system like grapevine has this year. There was even talk of instituting one last year and this year, but thanks to some individuals from this thread and like minded hunters in the area it has been tabled for now. Allowing crossbows here would only further increase the hunting pressure and cause safety issues as crossbows are a loaded weapon and can accidentally go off. I know one fellow who lost several fingers when one accidentally discharged. So to answer your question the corp and the hunters would like to keep the area open permit for now and safe and that is the reason for the current policy.

Comment

We thank you for keeping it open permit too!!

Comment

I agree sb it seems as we have fewer or more restricted hunting opportunities every year.So thanks to whomever it is that has the powers to keep it open permit. I know a few people who had hunting permits last year who did not even hunt but a handful of times for dove. I would like to see on the hunter servey who had permits to just duck hunt, deer hunt, dove hunt, turkey hunt etc. I like the open permit and would like to see it kept this way. just my .02

Comment

WACO OSO Thanks

Comment

The safety issue/argument just doesn't hold water.In the hands of a responsible hunter a crossbow isn't any more dangerous than a compound or recurve.Yall need to man up and quit worrying so much. And from the horror stories I've heard about what a freakin circus it is at Whitney I'm a little suprised they haven't gone to a lottery system like Grapevine,Benbrook.etc. That's why I quit hunting there 20 years ago. I wish I had a nickel for every guy who post on here every year about somebody walking up on his set-up,somebody setting up 50 yards away,stealing his feeder or stand,illegal baiting,too many trucks at the parking area,and the list goes on...

Comment

Tomorrow is Dove season! Yea ! Pickles is ready to get it on!

Hi Buzzy! Where ya hunting this year?

Comment

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
                          That is what the corp see's it as. It is a saftey issue when anyone can go buy a cross bow which is already cocked loaded and ready to go if someone walks by and it goes off. Why not just buy a compound bow if you dont have a disability it should stay the way it is.
                          LW I can tell you sir. Crossbows are not cocked, loaded, and ready to go when you buy them. You get the crossbow and bow string. Everything else you have to buy.

These weapons do not just go off, they have to be triggered just like a bow at full draw.

To answer your last questions sir... The reason I do not buy a bow is because after dealing with the majority of bow hunters and there attitude towards other hunters....Well I refuse to be one. I respect hunters as hunters and their choice of weapons is their business. I don't demand they use the same weapon for hunting that I do before I respect them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            Tomorrow is Dove season! Yea ! Pickles is ready to get it on!

Hi Buzzy! Where ya hunting this year?
                            It is the begining of hunting season!
                            The best time of the year.

I will be starting the season in Salado at Mr. Viktors Saturday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by waco oso View Post
                              Mr. Haggerton I work at the lake waco project and its not an issue with just safety, but there is a resource concern as well. Crossbows are a more effective weapon and would increase harvest as it is easier to fire the weapon undetected and you have a further effective range with crossbows. Ten years ago we were still allowed to use guns to take deer out at whitney, it was very dangerous out there and there were quite a few yahoos running around, one fellow was shot in the shoulder at aquilla and something had to be done. The deer population was suffering as well, so for safety and to reduce harvests they went to an archery only policy. We have more hunters out here every year and as pressure continues to rise they may eventually one day have to resort to a lottery system like grapevine has this year. There was even talk of instituting one last year and this year, but thanks to some individuals from this thread and like minded hunters in the area it has been tabled for now. Allowing crossbows here would only further increase the hunting pressure and cause safety issues as crossbows are a loaded weapon and can accidentally go off. I know one fellow who lost several fingers when one accidentally discharged. So to answer your question the corp and the hunters would like to keep the area open permit for now and safe and that is the reason for the current policy.
                              Sir that is not an acceptable answer. What this comes down to is fairness. Crossbows are legal archery equipment by law and crossbow hunters should be able to take advantage of the hunting that is available on our public lands since there is not that much of it here in Texas. So it is time to start sharing the resources. What makes it right for them to have all the public land to themselves?

As for that remark about crossbows being a loaded weapon and accidentally going off. First crossbows don't accidentally go off if you have the safety on. Second you should never have a bolt in a crossbow when walking around. You should only put a bolt in it when you are stationary. I am sorry but I find it hard to believe he lost fingers. I could see him getting a horrible burn, dislocation, and or a broken hand but amputation is hard to believe. Could you send me his contact info so I can find out what he was doing when that happened?

Plus I have heard bow hunters on here talk about accidentally loosing arrows. So it happens to bow hunters to. They use a trigger system to fire their projectiles as well.

Good hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Roamer View Post
                                LW I can tell you sir. Crossbows are not cocked, loaded, and ready to go when you buy them. You get the crossbow and bow string. Everything else you have to buy.

These weapons do not just go off, they have to be triggered just like a bow at full draw.

To answer your last questions sir... The reason I do not buy a bow is because after dealing with the majority of bow hunters and there attitude towards other hunters....Well I refuse to be one. I respect hunters as hunters and their choice of weapons is their business. I don't demand they use the same weapon for hunting that I do before I respect them.
                                Not saying your an idiot, but 80% of the hunters i meet out on the corp shouldn't even have a hunting liscense. And if you dont like bowhunters what are you doing on a bowhunting Forum duh.

Comment

Working...
                                X