Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2009-2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate everyones input on the rules and for posting them here to make it easier to figure out. Thanks to everyone posting.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
      They allow them. You just have to be disabled to use one.
      Well we will have to see what can be done to remedy that.

Comment

Scouted two more areas this evening for birds. Saw very few. Most all the farm land between Hillsboro and Grandview has been plowed/turned under.

Going again Sat

Comment

I may have a place in west I am goin to check it out in the morning. I have heard the north end of Whitney is ok with birds but havent gone personally. I bought 2 cases of shells and always have plenty orange birds to release.

Comment

Went out scout-n for doves this evening with Pickles and noticed several going down in a small cedar thicket. So we walk around it, got on the fence line/fire break and walked down it to try to locate where they were. We had walked past them and down to a corner and was standing there watching both directions down the corner and guess what pops out 70 yards down one side and starts running at us? I had time to jump to the other side and dig my Vid-camera out of my pack. I was standing out in the open and Pickles was beside me. They looked at me one time and kept on coming. They got with in 7 yards down wind. Got it all on vid. Why do they follow me around? Why won't they just leave me alone .
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-29-2009, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to see the video TG. I got a set up I'm building to attach video camera to my stand right now. Hoping to get video this year.
              Last edited by switchback; 08-29-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

need to hunt down town whitney covered up with white wings

Comment

We dont need cross bows out there it is dangerous as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
                    We dont need cross bows out there it is dangerous as it is.
                    Well if it is that dangerous maybe they need to suspend hunting privileges for everyone.

That is not a valid answer. There is no reason those of us who use a crossbow should be left out of hunting privileges in our state. I am a very safety minded outdoors man and hunter. I know exactly what my target is before I loose that projectile.

SO I find your answer to be in valid as to my question.

Why are crossbows not allowed in Whitney? They are legal archery equipment and Whitney is in a county that has a archery season. That and Whitney is a archery only facility, right?

Comment

Originally posted by LWArchery View Post
                      need to hunt down town whitney covered up with white wings
                      So is my back yard, and my neighbors yards, full of them . They water out of Pickles and SOS's water trough. I saw one group down the street in a tree that had almost 25 birds in it, till I walkd up on-em . I did see a morphed collard in Wally world's parking lot yeaterday .

Anybody got any blank CDs so I can burn off this vid ? Guess I've got to go buy some more.

Comment

TG, I have some cd's and I still need to bring you that pecan wood. Give me a call.

Comment

How bout calling later today someitme . I might be by after te show, if I dont go scout-n again.

Comment

Best I can figure Roamer is since Whitney is federally owned land they feel they are immune to any law passed by the state of Texas(HB 968). Kinda like Hagerman Wildlife Refuge. Apparently they feel not only will the number of hunters increase by allowing crossbows,but the "effectiveness" of the hunters will also increase...ergo more deer will be killed. TPWD is using the same BS reasoning by not allowing crossbows on the WMAs. It's funny because in a round-a-bout way TPWD and COE are insulting compound bow shooters.Ostensibly they feel compound shooters are a bunch of incompetent,lousy shots who can't hit the broadside of a barn and thus will have no impact on the deer numbers on the property.I agree if they are going to ban crossbows they should also ban compound bows...they are both now classified as archery gear in the state of Texas. With each passing season I lose more and more respect for the people running TPWD.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzcut View Post
                              Best I can figure Roamer is since Whitney is federally owned land they feel they are immune to any law passed by the state of Texas(HB 968). Kinda like Hagerman Wildlife Refuge. Apparently they feel not only will the number of hunters increase by allowing crossbows,but the "effectiveness" of the hunters will also increase...ergo more deer will be killed. TPWD is using the same BS reasoning by not allowing crossbows on the WMAs. It's funny because in a round-a-bout way TPWD and COE are insulting compound bow shooters.Ostensibly they feel compound shooters are a bunch of incompetent,lousy shots who can't hit the broadside of a barn and thus will have no impact on the deer numbers on the property.I agree if they are going to ban crossbows they should also ban compound bows...they are both now classified as archery gear in the state of Texas. With each passing season I lose more and more respect for the people running TPWD.
                              Buzzcut thanks for the heads up. It looks like I need to call some people at TPWD and find out what the deal is with them. They allow the use of crossbows in archery season, but won't allow them on the WMA's? That makes no sense. The COE really has no reason to keep crossbows out. They just need to update the hunting regs. If either is using that excuse than they need to have a representative go hunting with a crossbow to see just how difficult it really is. The problem is in the raising of that weapon. If you move too fast it is like waving a flag and the deer is gone.

Comment

I myself have no issues with crossbows, I'm not going to buy one, but no issues with them. I do however have a problem with someone buying one thinking it's as easy as a firearm. Just so nobody thinks I'm picking on crossbows, my recommendation would be mandatory IBEP and shoot-to-qualify for ALL archery hunters.

Comment

Working...
                                X