X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you’re saying there’s a chance?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
      Another reason I pay close attention to some of these WMAs when I'm making decisions on applications, is the history. I will personally not be applying for Chap this year, I would cuss myself if I drew it and burned years of points considering the past few years harvest stats and buck quality. Still a fun hunt and very unique place, but not getting my points cashed in for it this year. Just my thoughts.
      I fully agree. Taking a much deeper look every year I apply into the history so I don't burn years worth of points on a sub-par draw

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post

That was 2021. I hunted the GDE last year (2022) and the biggest buck taken was a 120'' 8pt. I contacted the hunt coordinator after the E-Postcard hunt and she said it was the biggest one taken the entire season.
        The impact of drought conditions compared to wet years might explain the drop.

The extreme drought that is gripping much of Texas is bad news for deer herds, antler growth, and deer hunters.

Last edited by BarBBar; 07-18-2023, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post

That was 2021. I hunted the GDE last year (2022) and the biggest buck taken was a 120'' 8pt. I contacted the hunt coordinator after the E-Postcard hunt and she said it was the biggest one taken the entire season.
          Thats crazy! Our hunt was in 2021 and we saw a pile of bucks bigger than 120! Mine was 167 and wasnt the biggest killed that hunt. Glens was mid 30's. There were several other bucks in the 30's to 50's killed. Crazy how things changed in one year.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post

Thats crazy! Our hunt was in 2021 and we saw a pile of bucks bigger than 120! Mine was 167 and wasnt the biggest killed that hunt. Glens was mid 30's. There were several other bucks in the 30's to 50's killed. Crazy how things changed in one year.
            Yep- stinks to have burned 19 years of points for that year, but that's how hunting goes... I've been extremely blessed other years so I guess it all evens out in the end. Still a fun hunt, but man, would have loved to have had some of the deer you had in 2021!

Comment

well I was much more strategic this year than in the past since most categories I have 11-13 points in. I have a feeling I'm getting to the point of feast or famine with TPWD. I either strike out or one of these years I'll hit multiple and have "too many" hunts on the books. Last year I drew Hagerman and ended up having emergency surgery 2 weeks before the hunt and they let me roll it to this year based on what happened so I guess technically I've already drawn 1 for the year, just not sure if they'll keep me in A or not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                well I was much more strategic this year than in the past since most categories I have 11-13 points in. I have a feeling I'm getting to the point of feast or famine with TPWD. I either strike out or one of these years I'll hit multiple and have "too many" hunts on the books. Last year I drew Hagerman and ended up having emergency surgery 2 weeks before the hunt and they let me roll it to this year based on what happened so I guess technically I've already drawn 1 for the year, just not sure if they'll keep me in A or not yet.
                I hit 5 last year in TX and one in Colorado... My kids were calling me by my first name by the end of the season

Comment

I have 57 dates in for draw through TP&W this year, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    I am at 59 for this year, hope to see you on another hunt this year sir. Was nice putting some names to faces last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Originally posted by Garrett Harlan View Post

I am at 59 for this year, hope to see you on another hunt this year sir. Was nice putting some names to faces last year.

I'm in for 50. Waiting on the e-postcards to come available and will be putting in for several of those.

Last year I was drawn for the hog hunt on Hag dated for March of this year but wasn't able to make it. Hoping I get drawn for something out in central, west or up near the panhandle this year.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Read View Post

I'm in for 50. Waiting on the e-postcards to come available and will be putting in for several of those.

Last year I was drawn for the hog hunt on Hag dated for March of this year but wasn't able to make it. Hoping I get drawn for something out in central, west or up near the panhandle this year.
                        I had a buddy go on the March hog hunt at the Hag and it was a bust. Apparently they did the helicopter shoot like the week before. Buddy said only a few hogs were shot on the entire hunt. I've deer hunted it twice and saw pigs everywhere so unfortunate that the actual hog hunt didn't produce.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Read View Post

I had a buddy go on the March hog hunt at the Hag and it was a bust. Apparently they did the helicopter shoot like the week before. Buddy said only a few hogs were shot on the entire hunt. I've deer hunted it twice and saw pigs everywhere so unfortunate that the actual hog hunt didn't produce.

Comment

They made a couple changes to the H hunts this year, Segment A delayed 1 day so the Xbow hunters don’t have to sit Friday out of last day of archery only, and moved the hog hunt up prior to the normal heli killin.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              They made a couple changes to the H hunts this year, Segment A delayed 1 day so the Xbow hunters don’t have to sit Friday out of last day of archery only, and moved the hog hunt up prior to the normal heli killin.
                              Good on them for the change. Two years ago I don't think they realized that the first day would be illegal to allow xbows based off county guidelines until my brother asked them about it the week before the hunt, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Harlan View Post

TBH Get-2gethers, Happy Hours, and Bownanza gives lots of opportunity to meet lots of members. Helps a great deal to sit and speak with someone in person. And get a better feel for what they are trying to say On-line. Not everyone drinks at these. I have iced tea most of the time. Here's to our trails crossing again soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X