No announcement yet.

LBJ National Grasslands 2022-23 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everybody, my first post here on TBH. Finally got my account validated. This is my first year hunting LBJ, so far I’m really loving it, especially compared to some other public land spots I’ve hunted. No success yet, but I’ve had a few encounters and I’m getting closer with every trip out so far. Good luck everybody! Looking forward to a fun season

Comment

Welcome Colton!

Comment

Welcome Colton. Glad you are seeing deer out there. Work on the ground does pay off. Once you find productive spots they can remain productive over time if there is no major disturbance. Just like the concept of seats at a dining table for fish, I think most animals have similar patterns.

Comment

Ok so I got a question which I may need to just ask the game warden but I am 17 and my buddy is 18 and I wasn’t sure if on the Lbj Grasslands he would have to sit with me or not. On the regulations when I search on google tpwd says for the caddo grasslands if someone is 16 or younger they must be with a permitted adult 18 years or older but it does not say what to do if you are 17. I know this may be a silly question but I want to just make sure I am in the right. Plus On lake Whitney it says you can hunt alone by what I’ve read once your 17 so I’m just trying to figure out what is right here.

Comment

I would ask the NF LBJ office and the game warden. But I suspect if you have your hunter's safety card or a deferrment you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
              I would ask the NF LBJ office and the game warden. But I suspect if you have your hunter's safety card or a deferrment you are good to go.
              Thanks man. I called the game warden and just like you were saying, he said as long as I had my hunters Ed I could hunt by myself which I do.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post

...and your hunting license, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  What's that? Where do I get one?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Lol, I’ve got that too.

Comment

New to the group

Hey everyone! This is my first year deer hunting the grasslands. I’ve been hunting private for the last 4 years or so and that fell apart this season unfortunately. Looking for any tips y’all may have (not wanting unit #’s or anything lol). I know it’s a little late to be scouting but I’ll have to do a little bit before my first sit. Are most of y’all hunting from pop ups, saddles, or climbing stands? I spoke with someone at the NF LBJ office and I believe they said unit 47 (black creek) was off limits. I just want to confirm this! I’ve been using ONX which has been helpful. Also, do you have to have the Tpwd public land permit to hunt the grasslands? Looking forward to being a part of this constructive group! Good luck to y’all this season!!

Comment

Yes Black Creek is off limits. I use a saddle but have used a hang n hunt.

Setup, imo, depends on what you see scouting and what makes sense.
                        Don't forget your orange. In past years LBJ was exempt from orange during bow season. I can't find that in the orders anywhere this year.
                        Welcome and good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Yes definitely won’t forget the orange. I’m just going to start scouting (during times that won’t ruin anyone else’s hunt) and hope for the best.

Comment

dont have to wear orange during archery only. do not have to have public land permit from TPWD. hunt sign that looks good, and sit longer than you normally would. other hunters bailing out of the woods at 9 will move more deer around than you think!

Comment

Can you tell me where that is in the order. I've looked for it this year but can't find it. Probably my old memory. I knew it was in there from previous years.

Comment

I am not sure what order you are referring to, but in the past the regulations were posted at the entrances of the units. It has never mentioned orange during archery, but always copied the states 400 square inch + headgear orange requirement during general season.

Honestly I dont think wearing orange all season is a bad idea and I have done it myself. But I also have not. Im just trying to point out that hunting LBJ is pretty simple and a person doesnt have to jump through a lot of hoops to be legal doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X