LBJ National Grasslands 2022-23 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hunter_Tex View Post
    First year bow hunting out at LBJ grasslands and I found a bunch of good info on the LBJ Grasslands Deer Hunting FB Group. Tried to post a link to a good Unit map that was posted in that group but it wouldn't let me because I haven't made 5 posts or something like that. Good luck to you all!
    Well what ya waiting for…. Make up some BS posts over yonder so you can share the wealth for us non FB folks😁

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
      Can anyone give me pointers on where to go to get my son on a deer this year? Which unit should I take him to?
      I think generally people are hesitant to post their favorite spots on public forums. People spend a lot of time and effort on the ground finding good areas.

My advice is to walk further than most want to. Also, don't overlook the smaller units that many disregard. Look for historic rub lines, acorns, and travel corridors. Later in season, you can hunt more aggressively on the ground. I've never tried it, but I have friend that will drive by different units during the rut and look for bucks chasing in open areas. He's had some success that way.

Here's a link to the unit map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...slands_Map.gif

Good luck!

Comment

So I give some info can’t promise that it’s worth anything any more. I use to hunt it 10 to 15 years ago. The map that TheSchwartz post I looked at it and the unit 50 was one of my favs back them. Cause the guys land one the left had serval feeders out and the deer would cross back and forth. . I know that unit 60 use to have a lot of doe on it and I never did see anyone there. There should be a deep gully on unit 14 or 16. That the deer would travel down the middle of instead on the top. Good luck in the up coming hunts Besafe to everyone

Comment

You can zoom in on this map.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post

I zoomed in and saw a big *** buck walking across a field!

Hope you're doing well, Bro!

Comment

Are there antler restrictions on the LBJ Grasslands?

Comment

Yes it falls under wise County which has a 13" restriction

Comment

Looking at the guidelines this year it doesn't appear the exception for hunter orange is in force. It may be I've forgotten where it is. I thought it was in the order and I didn't see an updated date on any order but I would check to make sure. Heck, opening day I'd wear it anyway. All other nf and grasslands required it historically.

Comment

Is it acceptable to drive on numbered FS roads around units, not behind a locked gate, and park in areas where you aren’t blocking any kind of access?

Comment

Froggy, how do I access north mote 69!
                      Or Panam 54 for that matter!

Comment

Originally posted by skulleton View Post
                        Without the landowner's permission, you don't. It's trespassing otherwise.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by skulleton View Post
                          Those Units are landlocked. The FS made several runs over the years trying to obtain public access. The adjoining land owners were less than willing to permit easements to the FS and public. If I were in their shoes I would do the same. Those families have dealt with trespassers for several generations.

Comment

Well….anyone do any good this morning?? I screwed up and got in the tree too late. Spooked some deer in the process. Got within 5-10yds of a doe without knowing it. I think she scared me more than I scared her ��

Comment

How busy was it? Last time I was there for opening day it was a zoo. I'll probably go out in a couple weeks.

Comment

A put a doe down Saturday evening! I called an audible last minute. I was in a unit I wanted to hunt for this buck I have 3 years pictures of but just couldn't get the setup right with the wind. So, I drove 20 minutes to another spot that I had a cell cam in (never hunted it before, just put a cam there in the summer) because it had descent movement on it. I went in at like 5:30pm or something, real late, got setup about 6:10pm, shot the doe at 6:30pm. It was crazy.

I ended up totally screwing up somebody else's hunt. I had no idea they were in there. I saw a truck but based on where it was parked I thought they were either hunting another spot or fishing. But apparently I walked in on him at 5:30, walked by him again hauling my gear out and a third time brining the cart in which was right at prime time.

If you're on here, sorry again brother. God's honest truth had no idea anyone was in there.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X