No announcement yet.

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Except people who steal trailcams. I hope you get lazy next season and don’t use your lineman’s belt climbing into a stand and fall out of that sucker and while you’re laying flat on your back struggling to breath you think about your life choices.

This wasn’t this dudes first time doing it. He noticed it was a cell cam and waved a stick in front of it to trigger it knowing he had about a minute to climb up and grab it. He left the stick leaning up against the tree. Some people’s kids.

Comment

Originally posted by DieXarr0w88 View Post
      Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Except people who steal trailcams. I hope you get lazy next season and don’t use your lineman’s belt climbing into a stand and fall out of that sucker and while you’re laying flat on your back struggling to breath you think about your life choices.

This wasn’t this dudes first time doing it. He noticed it was a cell cam and waved a stick in front of it to trigger it knowing he had about a minute to climb up and grab it. He left the stick leaning up against the tree. Some people’s kids.
      Typical for those public lands.

Comment

I was interested in heading out to try to shoot some pigs in the off-season. I have never hunted public land before so I was just curious what you guys do with the carcass of pigs you shoot that you yourself don’t want to eat. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_14 View Post
          I was interested in heading out to try to shoot some pigs in the off-season. I have never hunted public land before so I was just curious what you guys do with the carcass of pigs you shoot that you yourself don’t want to eat. Thanks

Don’t shoot it if you don’t want it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You aren't going to get a ticket if you shoot a pig and don't retrieve it. Buzzards, yotes, and worms got to eat...if yotes are getting a full belly on dead pigs that's more rabbits and deer life's saved

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunters for the Hungry. Leave the guts for the yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                Hunters for the Hungry. Leave the guts for the yotes.

Disregard. Apparently they don’t take hogs.

Comment

The big ones I just leave them where they land. Smaller ones I take for the freezer or someone else’s freezer. There are plenty of people that will take some free meat.

Comment

Quick question gents.

I'm thinking about taking my daughter to try for standby on the 21-22 youth either sex draw. I messaged the park asking if they had any standby spots available. They said as of now, no.

Any of y'all ever gone for standby? I've looked at the last couple years statistics and looks like usually one to two spots available on each hunt.
                    Any of y'all have kiddos that drew and won't make the hunt? That would for sure give me an answer.

I plan to check back in a few days before the hunt to see if there are any that may have canceled.

Thanks for y'alls time.

Comment

I called, they told me, to call the office of the park a few days before the hunt, and they should know then if there’s any stand by spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                        Quick question gents.

I'm thinking about taking my daughter to try for standby on the 21-22 youth either sex draw. I messaged the park asking if they had any standby spots available. They said as of now, no.

Any of y'all ever gone for standby? I've looked at the last couple years statistics and looks like usually one to two spots available on each hunt.
                        Any of y'all have kiddos that drew and won't make the hunt? That would for sure give me an answer.

I plan to check back in a few days before the hunt to see if there are any that may have canceled.

Thanks for y'alls time.
                        I only have experienced the archery only, any hunter with an APH can hunt unit. Not sure how the other area of Lake Somerville operates. Good luck and hope you get to go

Comment

Which one of yall is this? I appreciate you not stealing my camera....what are you carrying though?

Comment

Looks like picked up a ground blind maybe at 1035am but at 1047 headed back for more

Comment

At least not a thief but curious how I didn't see this hunter earlier in the year but retrieving stuff and leaving this route where my cameras picked him up.

Comment

I haven't drank in a long time and had a few more whiskeys than I realized. However, looks like the fella is just setting up a ground blind in there. That is too thick a terrain to ride a bike where he was headed, but you could ride a bike how he came in.

Just haven't seen anyone back there, much less riding a bike so took me for a surprise. I assumed since season was over he was retrieving and not setting up, but I guess getting ready to hunt pigs.

Comment

Working...
                                X