Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad patience and a branch from a fallen tree are what kept me up all night last night. Grunted in a freaking brute, beelined it and came straight up to 28 yards (finally got a rangefinder) and stopped. There was a fallen tree about halfway between us and he had no idea I was there. I drew on him and instead of waiting for him to move a little more to my right I took the shot. Skimmed the top edge of a tiny branch and it sailed the arrow. The deer didn’t see me or wind me. After he ran off he stopped about 60 yards away, and then another buck just as nice came from my right out of range and wouldn’t come to the grunt, just locked in on that other buck. They both took off in the same direction. How long would y’all wait to hit the spot again? It’s obviously a great buck bedding area and has quite a bit of decent bucks in there. Y’all think tomorrow would be too early to try it again since neither buck caught my scent? I’m learning archery hunting as I go, so definitely another painful lesson in patience was learned yesterday. Makes 3 misses on the season so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JoeStudd View Post
      Bad patience and a branch from a fallen tree are what kept me up all night last night. Grunted in a freaking brute, beelined it and came straight up to 28 yards (finally got a rangefinder) and stopped. There was a fallen tree about halfway between us and he had no idea I was there. I drew on him and instead of waiting for him to move a little more to my right I took the shot. Skimmed the top edge of a tiny branch and it sailed the arrow. The deer didn’t see me or wind me. After he ran off he stopped about 60 yards away, and then another buck just as nice came from my right out of range and wouldn’t come to the grunt, just locked in on that other buck. They both took off in the same direction. How long would y’all wait to hit the spot again? It’s obviously a great buck bedding area and has quite a bit of decent bucks in there. Y’all think tomorrow would be too early to try it again since neither buck caught my scent? I’m learning archery hunting as I go, so definitely another painful lesson in patience was learned yesterday. Makes 3 misses on the season so far

Where is this at? The deer act differently in Nails vs Yegua and even in certain sections based on private property pressure nearby the area. If I know your exact location then I can give you a good estimate when to go back in.

LOL. Just a joke for those thinking above post was serious.

Sorry about your bad luck, it happens. Sounds like practice this offseason will be good. I have to shoot all the time as well. From a tree, from ground etc and study shot placement based on body location. All things that I didn't do as a first time bowhunter until I had misses or bad hits.

Good for you that you saw 2 brutes. I haven't seen but one 3.5 to 4.5 yr old deer on camera that is real wide but crap tine length.

Sounds like there is a hot doe in the area. I would go back, you are hunting public land so never know what will happen. Who will hunt your spot or hunt somewhere else and push deer etc.

Sounds like you need to be in that area though due to doe in estrus
      Last edited by Beargrasstx; 12-13-2022, 07:40 PM.

Comment

So close! Don’t feel too bad. I’ve got two misses so far. First time was a little branch and the second time a doe sucked the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
          So close! Don’t feel too bad. I’ve got two misses so far. First time was a little branch and the second time a doe sucked the arrow.

Sucked? I want to meet this doe...

Lol, love you man

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
            Sucked? I want to meet this doe...

Lol, love you man

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

Y’all weren’t kidding about coyotes man. Had to scare off a pack of about 8-10 at around 10am.

Hit that spot again today dawn to dusk, and saw 6 deer between 8:30am-12:45pm. Not a single animal, other than birds, before or after those times. 2 smaller bucks and 4 does. It looked like one of the smaller bucks was tending a doe, no chasing or anything just paired up browsing at 11:15am. Weird pattern they’re on right now. No super early/late sightings, all straight up middle of the day.

Comment

Y’all guys had any luck lately? Hopefully this cold front has em moving better. I’ll be hitting it tomorrow, and a couple days next week as a Hail Mary if tomorrow doesn’t pay off. I have an archery hunt at Laguna Atascosa 1/6-1/10 so I’m not super hard pressed to bag one at Somerville this year but it would be awesome. Been a hell of a lot of learning the unit this season

Comment

Haven't hunted but twice all year. However, I have quite a few cell cams out there. Lots of deer pics but no shooters. 1 legal buck, 15 in wide or so but short tines.

I may go and sit Friday 30th after dropping kiddos off at daycare but not sure worth the drive really with nothing legal to shoot

I don't know, out on the woods is better than at home and last chance. I could always go to other spots

Good luck to those getting out this week

Comment

When does the season end here?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                      When does the season end here?
                      Sunday jan1st

Comment

Walked into my set this am and idk what happened between today and Wednesday last week. There’s got to be at least 40 new acres of wetland. Should’ve turned around before I got too deep, but I thought it would clear up. Nope just got worse, 6-12 inches of standing water in the 50-60 acres I’ve scouted really well since July. Blew my mind that it just showed up, was there some torrential downpour in the last 6 days over there that I didn’t see on my weather app? Oh well lol, that’s it for me this season at Somerville I’ve got work until Jan 2nd, is what it is

Comment

Which one of y’all Pinches shot a small/illegal buck and left it? 🫣

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post

Ahh so I see you’re on that page as well? [emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by Ballinonabudget View Post
                              Ahh so I see you’re on that page as well? [emoji1787]

[emoji38][emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post

Did you read the comments? There was no visible arrow penetration or marks. Sounds like coyotes actually got it since it was eaten from the *** end. Coyotes have been noticeable this season. Wish I could go use my AR and thermal to knock a bunch out at night. I was treed by some in November.

Comment

Working...
                                X