Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
    Man you must have just missed us. We pulled out of there right around 2 yesterday. Glad you saw something. They are starting to react to calling a little bit. Had a spike at 25 yds yesterday for about ten minutes. He couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Every time he started to walk away I’d hit him again and he’d come right back to start looking around. Kinda fun just to mess with them. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you hear the roosters crowing and what sounded like domesticated geese? Sounded like the whole farm yard when I was out there. Not only that but I think i may have heard a gobbler a few times far away.

I wasn't able to find many trees that a climber would work in. All of them are branched or low. Nothing like a tall oak or pine that's easy to climb in

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
      Did you hear the roosters crowing and what sounded like domesticated geese? Sounded like the whole farm yard when I was out there. Not only that but I think i may have heard a gobbler a few times far away.

I wasn't able to find many trees that a climber would work in. All of them are branched or low. Nothing like a tall oak or pine that's easy to climb in

No sir, sure didn’t. You may have. I saw a bunch of turkeys out there last year.

Yeah you’re gonna be hard pressed to find a tree a climber will go in. Most of the trees a curvy oaks and cedar elms. The cedar elms are pretty straight but there a lot of branches almost all the way up the trunks that would be in your way. Your best bet would be a hang on, saddle setup, pop up blind or a good hiding spot on the ground.

Comment

There are turkeys. Have seen two groups.

Comment

Welp, today was a learning experience. Saw 3 does, a spike, a super wide but short tined 6 point I’ve seen before, and a real nice 8 point that I haven’t seen yet.

I’ve been hunting for a while, but only only public for 4, and this is my first year archery hunting so I’m still learning how to bow hunt. I had that 6 point dead to rights at about 25 yards, but didn’t see a small branch through the peep and it deflected right into the base of a tree. Broadhead went all the way in up to the arrow, and had to just leave the broadhead in the tree. The 8 point came creeping in about 3:00 and didn’t seem interested in my grunt call at all. I guessed he was about 40 yards out since I don’t have a rangefinder and put the pin on his elbow expecting him to duck. We’ll he did and my arrow flew right over his back, and after he took off i for sure over shot the distance, no more than 30 I’d have to say after getting a better look.

With all that being said, I still had a great time. Won’t learn if I don’t accept my mistakes, so Lessons learned for sure. Definitely bringing my climbing sticks and saddle next time. Didn’t hear my alarms go off this am and jolted awake at 6:20 am and decided screw it I’ll just hunt the ground and hope for some midday movement. Definitely could’ve been in better positions if I was up in a tree

My KuduPoint shaft deep in the tree (pun intended):

Comment

Originally posted by JoeStudd View Post
            Welp, today was a learning experience. Saw 3 does, a spike, a super wide but short tined 6 point I’ve seen before, and a real nice 8 point that I haven’t seen yet.

I’ve been hunting for a while, but only only public for 4, and this is my first year archery hunting so I’m still learning how to bow hunt. I had that 6 point dead to rights at about 25 yards, but didn’t see a small branch through the peep and it deflected right into the base of a tree. Broadhead went all the way in up to the arrow, and had to just leave the broadhead in the tree. The 8 point came creeping in about 3:00 and didn’t seem interested in my grunt call at all. I guessed he was about 40 yards out since I don’t have a rangefinder and put the pin on his elbow expecting him to duck. We’ll he did and my arrow flew right over his back, and after he took off i for sure over shot the distance, no more than 30 I’d have to say after getting a better look.

With all that being said, I still had a great time. Won’t learn if I don’t accept my mistakes, so Lessons learned for sure. Definitely bringing my climbing sticks and saddle next time. Didn’t hear my alarms go off this am and jolted awake at 6:20 am and decided screw it I’ll just hunt the ground and hope for some midday movement. Definitely could’ve been in better positions if I was up in a tree

My KuduPoint shaft deep in the tree (pun intended):

That’s an awesome day on public. I still haven’t even seen a legal buck on camera or in person.

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
              That’s an awesome day on public. I still haven’t even seen a legal buck on camera or in person.

Hell yeah it was, I’ve gotten pretty confident in my scouting over the last 4 years on public. I’ve seen 5 different legal bucks in the spot Ive been hunting at Somerville. Just trying to add all the pieces together for archery hunting. Found some good sign at Alabama Creek last week on what was supposed to be a 5 day hunt, but my buddy had to leave after day two bc of family. Wish I could’ve sat in the tree a couple days longer, spent the first day and a half scouting my spots on OnX.

I grew up on a high fence lease down in south Texas so it’s all very different from what I grew up learning on lol.

Comment

I haven't got a picture of a legal buck yet. Some 8s and smaller bucks but probably 10 to 12in spreads and young deer. Only hunted twice so far out there this year but cell cams not showing anything in usual good spots. Plenty of doe though

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                  I haven't got a picture of a legal buck yet. Some 8s and smaller bucks but probably 10 to 12in spreads and young deer. Only hunted twice so far out there this year but cell cams not showing anything in usual good spots. Plenty of doe though

They are there. Have 6 I am seeing family regular and some are big. Keep working. Remember just because it was a good spot last year may not be this year

Comment

Is everyone above shooting a spike? Or is that a last minute in the season Hail Mary for y’all?

Comment

Originally posted by BulletSAR View Post
                      Is everyone above shooting a spike? Or is that a last minute in the season Hail Mary for y’all?
                      Shoot what makes you happy. Everyone's situation is different.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                        How are cell cams working out there? My cellphone has no reception till I get to Burton. It's insane how there's no cell service out there!

Comment

well the sticky bandit got to my game camera. nice enough to clear my pictures for me and leave the camera and SD card. Didn't get to do much hunting but had a wild friday late morning hunt that was interrupted by coyotes messing with a herd of cows. hope yall had a good thanksgiving!

Comment

Originally posted by BigABowhunter23 View Post
                            well the sticky bandit got to my game camera. nice enough to clear my pictures for me and leave the camera and SD card. Didn't get to do much hunting but had a wild friday late morning hunt that was interrupted by coyotes messing with a herd of cows. hope yall had a good thanksgiving!

Was it the black cows? When I was walking out Friday afternoon I walked up on three black cows with ear tags.

Comment

I really hope this guy gets left alone until next year. Saw a bunch of deer today for the first time here. No shooter bucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	638AE3F4-57EE-41A5-B2C1-DD1207FC62C4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	24700168

Comment

Originally posted by BulletSAR View Post
                                I really hope this guy gets left alone until next year. Saw a bunch of deer today for the first time here. No shooter bucks.

[ATTACH]1111046[/ATTACH]
                                Looks like one that I saw. This is a great photo, but it is not legal right? Looks to be on border of 13''.

Comment

Working...
                                X