No announcement yet.

Benbrook Lake 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lots of trucks out there this morning, anyone here with success today?

Comment

We did not even come close to having a shot this year. The last day we saw 1 doe at 150 yards. Good luck to all ou you that are hunting now and later.

Comment

Hopefully the cooler weather this weekend will help out those hunting, at least keep you from getting sweaty on the walk to the stand

Comment

This place is just getting over hunted. Years ago we would see a handful of deer every time we hunted. We would pass on anything under 140". Now you go there to shoot does.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
            this place is just getting over hunted. Years ago we would see a handful of deer every time we hunted. We would pass on anything under 140". Now you go there to shoot rabbits.

fify Stinkbelly.

Comment

Saw one of the largest main from 10 of my life out there. Would not rattle in, but was surrounded by 8's and spikes wanting to party.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to get drawn for end of season there. I only have 3 days of general, and the rest are doe/spike only. My luck, the biggest buck I have ever seen will show itself on that first day of doe/spike.... lol. I know they are building houses pretty close to where I have hunted Benbrook in the past, so I may have to scout around a bit more. Hope to have some luck.

Comment

If the woods behind the school are still an option, I would go there. It's a bike ride, but its worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                    If the woods behind the school are still an option, I would go there. It's a bike ride, but its worth it.

That’s a long way back there but have seen some good signs and old rusty blinds. Some old buildings also, but they might enforce the buffer zone a bit harder closer you get to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                      That’s a long way back there but have seen some good signs and old rusty blinds. Some old buildings also, but they might enforce the buffer zone a bit harder closer you get to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That old building was a dairy office before the lake was built. Going straight out to the water from there, you will find a cement slab that is normally under water for the most part. Edge of it comes almost up to where normal water level is. That was part of the milking barn. It's very easy to see when the water is down a good bit.

Comment

Saw one of the largest main from 10 of my life out there. Would not rattle in, but was surrounded by 8's and spikes wanting to party.

How long ago was that Budman?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          How long ago was that Budman?
                          6 to 7 years ago, before the school put in the gated entrance. I would drive to the back parking lot and walk in behind the stadium. There was a couple of pinch points back toward the lake tree line that squeezed the deer thru. I would see 6 to 8 deer a sit and they responded well to rattling. After they closed off that access I would ride back past the tank and hunt close to the lake. Never was the same compared to behind the school.

Another good area is by that tank. Close to dark the deer start crossing that big field heading to the lake, you can set up in the cedars over there and deer come by pretty close.

Comment

I used dove hunt that tank, when it would hold water. It always leaked. There were always covers of quail near by too.

Lotta great memories from that place going back to the early 1980s.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I've had my eye on that area. I have heard good things. I am either going to have to take a boat, or a bike to get back there and check it out. When I measured it, its a little over 2 miles from the parking lot. So its definitely a good ways back.

Comment

FYI riding a bike in there is against the rules. If you get caught they will probably cancel your permit to hunt. I had more conversations with the game wardens this year than I have had in 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X