• Show
Clear All

SMH .... This thread ruined granger

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
      :thumbup:

Comment

Hogzilla: I know the place that guy was talking about. It has held hogs in the past.
        Look at the pecan grove map on page 1. Just east of checkpoint 9 there is a gully that comes in from the NW. Where that gully meets the main spillway channel, on the north bank, is a pretty little grassy area under the trees. Tons of hog sign, heck you could smell the feces on a still day. Heavy game trail comes in from the west, on top of a beaver dam. The area used to be very productive, but as others on the thread have said, two years of drought, or something, seems to have reduced the pecan grove population. Back when the draw hunts were going on, COE kept a jeep trail mowed most of the way there, so it was an easy hike. Much harder to get to now.
        Last edited by NightStalker; 01-23-2014, 10:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by PigAddiction View Post
          Woo hoo, let it snow.
          If anyone is out between 6 and 7, I stuck a big black hog and ran out of daylight so he's still out there. I'm headed back out tomorrow to pick up the search.

I came across two big groups of hogs. Pigs to be had. Ya just got to find em.
          Congrats. With as cold as it is tonight the meat will be plenty good in the morn. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
            Hogzilla: I know the place that guy was talking about. It has held hogs in the past.
            Look at the pecan grove map on page 1. See that gully that comes in from the NW, just east of checkpoint 9? Where that gully meets the main spillway channel, on the north bank, is a pretty little grassy area under the trees. Tons of hog sign, heck you could smell the feces on a still day. Heavy game trail comes in from the west, on top of the beaver dam. The area used to be very productive, but as others on the thread have said, two years of drought, or something, seems to have reduced the pecan grove population.
            Land owners have really been trapping them hard the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
              Although it's fun to be by urself and stalk up on one or a group I've seen over the last couple years people be way more successful when the pressure is on and the hogs are confused and make mistakes. I've seen them pushed and bed down in stuff that would never hold a sounder but they are so confused with the scent and commotion that they make mistakes.
              I've hunted a lot out there by myself and had some success. But nothing is better to me than getting some blood brothers together and hunting them. As some of the elders who have hunted out there for years and my short ten years. I have never seen as many pigs and have had as many opportunities.
              Let the woods be packed.
              With all the pushing yall have done this year how many hogs have you killed out there this year crod?

While I agree pushing with a big group you will have alot more action see more pigs and get more shots but how many of those shots are actually good ethical shots? How many pigs are hit amd never recovered when you take a running shot as they are pushed past you? Thats the one big drawback I see to pushing is that you can never seem to get a good shot. Always running, facing you and in the thickest of crap. If tou know where the pigs are to begin with its really not that hard to get the wind right and out on a stalk or set up on a bait pile. You many bot get a shot ever time but sitting over bait the last 30 min of light you will get a shot 1 out of 3-4 hunts and usually a foot clean shot. I do get with a few friends and push every now an then just dont ever have much luck. We see em and get close but always moving around and spooked. I would much rather hunt some hogs that arent getting messed with every other dag. Why do you think they are so nocturnal out there? To each his own and as long as we are out enjoying the outdoors thats all that matters
              Last edited by wilcohunter; 01-23-2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Although it's fun to be by urself and stalk up on one or a group I've seen over the last couple years people be way more successful when the pressure is on and the hogs are confused and make mistakes. I've seen them pushed and bed down in stuff that would never hold a sounder but they are so confused with the scent and commotion that they make mistakes.
                I've hunted a lot out there by myself and had some success. But nothing is better to me than getting some blood brothers together and hunting them. As some of the elders who have hunted out there for years and my short ten years. I have never seen as many pigs and have had as many opportunities.
                Let the woods be packed.
                Are you really going tomorrow?

Comment

Rough trip here. Roads have alot if black ice. Be careful.
                  Mornings like this you look into the brush and just watch the steam rise from their breath

Comment

Rough trip here. Roads have alot if black ice. Be careful.
                    Mornings like this you look into the brush and just watch the steam rise from their breath
                    Was gona go out but couldnt hardly make it out the driveway this morning! Gona wait toll it melt off. Should be an awesome day for some pig chasing. Good luck

Comment

We're burnin' daylight fellas. To cold and icy to work so we all might as well go huntin'.
                      As soon as the temp cracks above 32 would be better. It would be a hard stalk in the crunchy ice. As soon as I get my horses fed, I'm headed out. Hopefully I'll find the pig that I shot yesterday. If not, I'll just shoot another.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see ya in the woods.

Comment

Who is heading out to get the pigs with snow and ice on their backs in the morning?? Thinking about heading out
                        i'm game Chris! sitting in hutto at home, i can be out there in 20 minutes.... David 5129208355 anyone else want to do some slow pushes
                        Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 01-24-2014, 09:15 AM. Reason: WRONG WORD

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
                          Are you really going tomorrow?
                          Joey i am coming out there in a half hour, where u gonna be at? David AKA NAVY CHIEF

Comment

Good luck boys bet there is some blood spilled out there before the day is over!

Comment

Tear it up, boys! I'm in a crisis call for work all day, but I will be out there this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                                I've never been there before but i will be there this weekend! Thanks guys!!! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X