"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
    Nothing! Never said it was. But noone is going to take us seriouly if we keep posting about all the stuck/ lost pigs. (Not yours David obviously)
    Didnt you say you shot one in the back legs the other day? I know you got/ found the pig but doesn't seem like taking a running shot is a very ethical shot if your going to gripe about people shooting them in the water. ..

Good job chief!! I kinda like water shots myself ain't got no brush in the way

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
      Looked it up. Ranger hunt was 15-17yh last year.
      Yep! This years date change put it the weekend of a prior commitment I have. It's all good! I just got in from a 3 day weekend at the primitive camp. Second one in a month. I've met a lot of interesting people. Yoga pants...long distance mountain bike campers...a ranger....a bunch of y'all and now a federal trapper. Me and Dirty have Federal Trapper stories now. Have any y'all met Eric, the federal trapper? If you have then you know what I mean. He had a Jack Russell with him that fought by his side in Afghanistan. He also had his best friend in a box on the table. Or what he said were his best friends ashes. Claimed he was spreading his best friends ashes at Granger. He was also washing down his whiskey with beer. We've got stories.
      Anyway, I hate to miss GRXH. GRXH is like this past weekend on acid! You'll have stories.

Comment

Originally posted by wilcohunter View Post
        Didnt you say you shot one in the back legs the other day? I know you got/ found the pig but doesn't seem like taking a running shot is a very ethical shot if your going to gripe about people shooting them in the water. ..

Good job chief!! I kinda like water shots myself ain't got no brush in the way
        He was so close I could have kicked it dead. He fell over in 25 yrds. Running shot past 30 yards I don't take. David all your buddies can stop posting now.
        Last edited by Removed; 02-02-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RickyS View Post
          Yep! This years date change put it the weekend of a prior commitment I have. It's all good! I just got in from a 3 day weekend at the primitive camp. Second one in a month. I've met a lot of interesting people. Yoga pants...long distance mountain bike campers...a ranger....a bunch of y'all and now a federal trapper. Me and Dirty have Federal Trapper stories now. Have any y'all met Eric, the federal trapper? If you have then you know what I mean. He had a Jack Russell with him that fought by his side in Afghanistan. He also had his best friend in a box on the table. Or what he said were his best friends ashes. Claimed he was spreading his best friends ashes at Granger. He was also washing down his whiskey with beer. We've got stories.
          Anyway, I hate to miss GRXH. GRXH is like this past weekend on acid! You'll have stories.
          That sucks, you'll be missed my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
            He was so close I could have kicked it dead. He fell over in 25 yrds. Running shot past 30 yards I don'tin the back legstake. David all your buddies can stop posting now.
            Hey man I dont care what shots you take dont take ect. I just wouldn't be preaching ethics when you take running shots and hit them in the back legs. Thats all! Keep on killin bro

Comment

Hey man I dont care what shots you take dont take ect. I just wouldn't be preaching ethics when you take running shots and hit them in the back legs. Thats all! Keep on killin bro
              Roger wilco...

Comment

If taking running shots at hogs is unethical then I'm guilty. Do I feel bad about it?? Nope! They are not deer, turkey's, squirrels, rabbits etc. Those animals I practice ethics to a fault, often times not taking shots I likely could make just to ensure unseen variables don't come into play.
                I haven't hunted with anyone out there who wouldn't take a running shot at a hog within their effective range.
                Everyone hunts different.

Comment

If taking running shots at hogs is unethical then I'm guilty. Do I feel bad about it?? Nope! They are not deer, turkey's, squirrels, rabbits etc. Those animals I practice ethics to a fault, often times not taking shots I likely could make just to ensure unseen variables don't come into play.
                  I haven't hunted with anyone out there who wouldn't take a running shot at a hog within their effective range.
                  An invasive species that causes untold billions in agricultural damage and reproduced prodigiously is beyond conventional hunting ethics. Especially when they directly compete with native species for resources.

I agree and have passed up many shots on deer that weren't the right shot. Hogs however, need to be eliminated by all and any means necessary, including taking every shot opportunity that presents itself, even if that is a wounding shot followed up by a killing shot.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                      An invasive species that causes untold billions in agricultural damage and reproduced prodigiously is beyond conventional hunting ethics. Especially when they directly compete with native species for resources.

I agree and have passed up many shots on deer that weren't the right shot. Hogs however, need to be eliminated by all and any means necessary, including taking every shot opportunity that presents itself, even if that is a wounding shot followed up by a killing shot.
                      I agree to a certain point...there are some shots that I will pass up. I dont care what kind of animal it is I dont want to wound something and have it suffer in the woods. Hogs deer turkey rabbits ect.... ill take any shot I think I can kill one with Running facing me ect. Just because its a pig doesn't mean I will take a shot that I think might not kill it. I know some that will shoot pigs in the guts on purpose so they will run off and not be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post

Really what I was trying to say but you put it together very well.

Who's hunting tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by wilcohunter
                          Oh snap

Up front and to the point!! I like that...

.and nothing against you man just not something I would do thats all.

And I did not mean I wouldn't take running shots... what I meant by ^^^^ is that I wouldn't preach ethical shots if I was willing to take running shots.

Comment

Staplehawk & I parked at 6 yesterday afternoon and walked around for a few hours. We saw a ton of deer but no hogs. We could hear the helicopter flying around for a few hours, also. We probably heard about 50-75 shots fired. We couldn't tell exactly where they were coming from but I'm guessing it was on the south side of the water near 6. I've been reading this thread for several weeks so I assumed the shots were coming from the helicopter. We spoke to someone in the parking lot who said the shots were probably coming from private property. I'm surprised nobody else heard them.

Comment

Anybody heading out in the morning? Im thinking about heading out for a hunt at sun up.

Comment

I agree to a certain point...there are some shots that I will pass up. I dont care what kind of animal it is I dont want to wound something and have it suffer in the woods. Hogs deer turkey rabbits ect.... ill take any shot I think I can kill one with Running facing me ect. Just because its a pig doesn't mean I will take a shot that I think might not kill it. I know some that will shoot pigs in the guts on purpose so they will run off and not be found.
                                I totally understand. Though I wouldn't take a "wounding shot" with the intent of not harvesting the hog, I'd totally take one if I felt I had a good chance of following it up with a killing shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X