No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little k/e math. That Samburu spear is 13,125 grains and I can pitch a ball at 85 mph. Even if I slowly tossed it at 40mph, that 100.33 ft-lbs=dead pig.

Comment

anyone got any info about the postcard hunt?

Comment

Well had a good but bad hunt tonight. Parked at the top of the primitive launch and walked around for a while. Ticks and mosquitos were terrible, so decided to go sit my stand instead. On the way in I saw a hog (40-60 lber) and drew back. Just before I released, I got busted by another hog that was with it, and they ran off. Thought I would circle around to cut them off, but at that same exact moment, I heard splashing. Knowing they were crossing the creek, I ran to the top of the creek bank. There were 5 or so making their way up the other side. I drew down on a nice chocolate and black sow (150 lbs or so) and stuck her a bit high, but in the front quarter. She fell, but quickly got back up and went up the hill. I was pretty sure it was at least double lung, so I walked down and crossed the creek to wait for a bit at my stand. Just then I saw two more on the side of the creek that I had just came from. Knowing that I could not make it back over without spooking them, I let one fly at 40 yrds, but missed low. They ran off and I went and found that arrow. Came back across and started to trail the sow. Only problem was that all I had was a green kill light (which turns blood black) and it got dark before I could find her. So lots of hogs spotted and first blood for my new bow, but no recovery.
        Last edited by Removed; 08-04-2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Sucks to hear

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
            Well had a good but bad hunt tonight. Parked at the top of the primitive launch and walked around for a while. Ticks and mosquitos were terrible, so decided to go sit my stand instead. On the way in I saw a hog (40-60 lber) and drew back. Just before I released, I got busted by another hog that was with it, and they ran off. Thought I would circle around to cut them off, but at that same exact moment, I heard splashing. Knowing they were crossing the creek, I ran to the top of the creek bank. There were 5 or so making their way up the other side. I drew down on a nice chocolate and black sow (150 lbs or so) and stuck her a bit high, but in the front quarter. She fell, but quickly got back up and went up the hill. I was pretty sure it was at least double lung, so I walked down and crossed the creek to wait for a bit at my stand. Just then I saw two more on the side of the creek that I had just came from. Knowing that I could not make it back over without spooking them, I let one fly at 40 yrds, but missed low. They ran off and I went and found that arrow. Came back across and started to trail the sow. Only problem was that all I had was a green kill light (which turns blood black) and it got dark before I could find her. So lots of hogs spotted and first blood for my new bow, but no recovery.
            Good hunting. Your the only one crazy enough to be out there this time of year lol

Comment

I just discovered Granger last night by googling "public hunting in Texas" and things like that. I can't tell from the maps I've been able to find where to park. I've never been bow hunting, but I want to give it a try some time. Maybe when it's not so hot. But I may go out there in the next week or so just to walk around and see what it looks like.

Another thing I was wondering about is, considering how much walking it seems like you have to do, if you shoot a 150 lbs hog, how do you get it out of there? Do you just drag it for miles, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                Good hunting. Your the only one crazy enough to be out there this time of year lol
                I'm "special" enough to be out there too, lol. The payoff for suffering through the weather is a hog population not accustomed to people like jkuroski1973 actually hunting them at this time of year!

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                  Another thing I was wondering about is, considering how much walking it seems like you have to do, if you shoot a 150 lbs hog, how do you get it out of there? Do you just drag it for miles, or what?
                  You either pack the hog out on the spot (and have a backpack + trash bag to haul the meat), or pull the old "phone a friend" move and get someone to bust their butt dragging/carrying the porker out of there.

Comment

So getting one of these...

or maybe not...seem to be Out of Business.
                    Last edited by Removed; 08-05-2013, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Where to park/hunt...

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                      I just discovered Granger last night by googling "public hunting in Texas" and things like that. I can't tell from the maps I've been able to find where to park. I've never been bow hunting, but I want to give it a try some time. Maybe when it's not so hot. But I may go out there in the next week or so just to walk around and see what it looks like.

You can park at any of these numbered spots and hunt all the yellow.
                      Last edited by Removed; 06-25-2019, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                        You can park at any of these numbered spots and hunt all the yellow.
                        Thanks! That is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                          You either pack the hog out on the spot (and have a backpack + trash bag to haul the meat), or pull the old "phone a friend" move and get someone to bust their butt dragging/carrying the porker out of there.

I get that one a lot out there!

Comment

cut out the backstraps, and hams. Rest is yote food.

Comment

Well fixn to have to get back out there and kill a hog or two. Just lost my whole freezer full of meat. Prob 200-250 pounds of pork, deer meat and fish. Makes me sick! I haven't had to buy meat in years. So ****** right now!!

Comment

Originally posted by huntnfishtex View Post
                                Well fixn to have to get back out there and kill a hog or two. Just lost my whole freezer full of meat. Prob 200-250 pounds of pork, deer meat and fish. Makes me sick! I haven't had to buy meat in years. So ****** right now!!
                                ***...how?

Comment

Working...
                                X