Laguna Atascosa 2015/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .270 View Post
    Awesome write up! I have been applying for about 8 years and still haven't been drawn!! I didn't know they let you field dress/quarter in the field. I thought you had to bring the animal back to the check point? Post the live grillin thread when you smoke those backstraps!
    The field dressing thing turned out to be an issue. The document sent to me with my permit clearly stated that the carcasses had to be brought into the check station for cattle tick checking.

Fast forward to the orientation...someone asked if we could bring the quartered animal back in. The answer was yes. I personally asked a follow up question asking if we could bring the skinless quarters back. The refuge manager clearly said yes. So, when I killed, I went with the gutless method, and brought the skinned quarters back. No hide at all left the field.

When I showed up at the check station, I anticipated an issue, and I told the inspector what I did, based on the response I got during the orientation. Clearly, he was a bit upset, but understood, b/c he was there during orientation and hard the responses. He was super cool about it, and we both agreed that, the response to that question should have been thought out a bit more. This is understandable, b/c this is the first year the cattle tick inspections have taken place.

All in all...great hunt with great staff.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
      .270 wcf
      By any chance, is that a pre-64?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        By any chance, is that a pre-64?
        It is not.

Comment

Ok. Just wondering. And do you just use regular .270 ammo?

Comment

Awesome write up and congrats on the Nilgai!

Comment

The field dressing thing turned out to be an issue. The document sent to me with my permit clearly stated that the carcasses had to be brought into the check station for cattle tick checking.

Fast forward to the orientation...someone asked if we could bring the quartered animal back in. The answer was yes. I personally asked a follow up question asking if we could bring the skinless quarters back. The refuge manager clearly said yes. So, when I killed, I went with the gutless method, and brought the skinned quarters back. No hide at all left the field.

When I showed up at the check station, I anticipated an issue, and I told the inspector what I did, based on the response I got during the orientation. Clearly, he was a bit upset, but understood, b/c he was there during orientation and hard the responses. He was super cool about it, and we both agreed that, the response to that question should have been thought out a bit more. This is understandable, b/c this is the first year the cattle tick inspections have taken place.

All in all...great hunt with great staff.
              Good to know!
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                Ok. Just wondering. And do you just use regular .270 ammo?
                130 grain balistic silverstip behind the shoulder put her down. Biggest animal I have ever killed with a rifle. I think she probably weighed 400#.

Comment

Originally posted by Tschoerner View Post
                  Awesome write up and congrats on the Nilgai!
                  Thanks, Russ. We still need to get together for a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
                    Good to know!
                    Thanks!
                    I mis spoke earlier. I left all the hid in the field...none was brought back to the check station. That was the problem.

They also wanted proof of sex. Luckily I took pic of the animal and texted it to the inspector via smart phone.

In the future, I'll bet they will not allow skinless quarters to come back. They may also require, for nilgai, some proof of sex.

Comment

I was on the hunt this past weekend with my dad. We both connected with nilgai bulls. I made the longest shot of my life with my .270- 586 yds. 140gr accubond is a **** good bullet. He ran 30 yds and dropped. Bullet went right through the top of the heart. Had to pack them out a mile and a half on a game cart. We guessed mine at 550 and my dads at 450. His was a little younger. He got his late so we didn't get a good picture. Was an awesome hunt with my dad, and this is the first time he has ever been on a hunt like this or killed an exotic. I am truly glad I got to share it with him. He shot his with a 25.06 at over 350 yds offhand in the neck. The old man's still got it.

Comment

Congrats man...those are some serious distances...well done!

Comment

Congrats man...those are some serious distances...well done!
                          Thanks. Looks like you had a pretty good trip yourself.

Comment

Awesome kills Capt.!!

Truck is loaded, it is Nilgai or bust!! We are headed south!!

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                              Awesome kills Capt.!!

Truck is loaded, it is Nilgai or bust!! We are headed south!!
                              Thank you. Good luck and get after 'em.

Comment

No luck yesterday. 2 bulls and a cow were killed.

We are 3 miles in, giving it another shot today.

Comment

Working...
                                X