Laguna Atascosa 2015/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
    Roads are clearly defined. If the gates are closed, you can't drive on them. Hunting boundaries are clearly marked. Make sure you put on plenty of bug spray especially if walking in the brush and grass. The chiggers and ticks are fierce.

Thank you sir.

Comment

Got a hunt coming up. How long is the drive from S. Padre to the check in station? Google maps is saying 50 Min for 23 miles? Is this accurate?

I am also, looking at staying in laguna vista. Are there any places to eat in laguna vista?

Comment

Hj

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
          Got a hunt coming up. How long is the drive from S. Padre to the check in station? Google maps is saying 50 Min for 23 miles? Is this accurate?

I am also, looking at staying in laguna vista. Are there any places to eat in laguna vista?
          50 minutes about right from the island. The road is terrible near the refuge. Diner closed in Laguna vista cuz they're moving. Mexiquito in port Isabel best place in town. Huge breakfast tacos all day. 7 am to 3 pm every day.

Comment

anyone looking for a place might ck out white sands in port isabel, we had a suite for $66.08 night singles around $45.00 i think. good luck.

Comment

Thanks. I booked the executive inn in Laguna Vista. Excited for this hunt.

Comment

Thought I would provide a quick recap of my first hunt at LANWR. I was lucky enough to get drawn for the 12/26-12/29 rifle hunt. My dad also got drawn (party app), but he had to work, so I decided to head out on my own. I left Spicewood at 3pm Christmas Day, and arrived in Los Fresnos at about 9pm. I ended up staying at the Los Fresnos Inn, which is a nice place, and the staff there is super friendly.

Orientation went OK. I say this, b/c it was pretty apparent that none of the folks giving the orientation were hunters. As such, their interpretation of the rules came under a good bit of questioning by the hunters. I encourage you to ask lots of questions, if something mentioned sounds squirelly. All in all, it was fine, but, like I said, questions anything that is said during orientation does not jive with your interpretation of something is.

After they cut us loose, I headed out. I did not bring a blind, and planned to still hunt. I got some good intel from a buddy of mine that scored on LANWR last year, so I headed out to some spots he suggested. After walking about 7-8 miles that day and wearing my binos out, I spotted one calf nilgai in unit 3.

The next day, I was about a mile and a half in when light broke. My plan was to glass the huge grassy flats and then, when I got to a spot I had scouted the day before, I would break off the main road and still hunt the rest of the day. About 8am, I made my move off the road. I was hunting a tidal flat with grass plains on both sides. I would hike in the flat (where the packed sand made for easy walking) then pop up on the grassy plain (about two feet higher than the flat) about every hundred yards and glass.
                At 0830, I decided to work my way through an area of yucca and mesquite up on the grassy plain. After about a quarter mile, out of nowhere, I spot a cow about 75 yards off. I don't think she saw me. I hit the deck, chambered a round and got on the sticks. The 30 mph wind made it tough to steady the rifle, but the shot felt good. The track was easy in the blood spattered waist high grass, and 50 yards later, I had my first nilgai on the ground.

This is the first time I had quartered an animal that large in the field, and it was a great experience. I got the meat in a mesquite tree, threw the straps and loins in my day pack, and trekked back 3+ miles back to the truck. It was a long day with multiple trips made packing all the meat out, but it was worth it.

Great experience, and I’ll definitely be putting in for this draw hunt in the future. Best of luck to those that drew the last rifle hunt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	24423334
                This is the general area I was hunting when I shot the cow.

Name:	tracks (2).jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	24423333
                Tracks in the mud flat.

Name:	cow.jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	24423332
                Success!

Name:	remains (3).jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	24423331
                About 1.5 hours later.

Name:	meat (2).jpg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	24423330
                South Texas Christmas tree.

Comment

Nice job. Congrats.

Comment

Good job! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats I know that hunt is very hard !

Comment

Great write up and awesome kill congrats my friend!

Comment

Congrats! Me and Plan B are headed down Thursday evening for this weekends hunt. Wanted to ask yall that have been if you have cell service with Verizon down there?

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                            Thought I would provide a quick recap of my first hunt at LANWR. I was lucky enough to get drawn for the 12/26-12/29 rifle hunt. My dad also got drawn (party app), but he had to work, so I decided to head out on my own. I left Spicewood at 3pm Christmas Day, and arrived in Los Fresnos at about 9pm. I ended up staying at the Los Fresnos Inn, which is a nice place, and the staff there is super friendly.

Orientation went OK. I say this, b/c it was pretty apparent that none of the folks giving the orientation were hunters. As such, their interpretation of the rules came under a good bit of questioning by the hunters. I encourage you to ask lots of questions, if something mentioned sounds squirelly. All in all, it was fine, but, like I said, questions anything that is said during orientation does not jive with your interpretation of something is.

After they cut us loose, I headed out. I did not bring a blind, and planned to still hunt. I got some good intel from a buddy of mine that scored on LANWR last year, so I headed out to some spots he suggested. After walking about 7-8 miles that day and wearing my binos out, I spotted one calf nilgai in unit 3.

The next day, I was about a mile and a half in when light broke. My plan was to glass the huge grassy flats and then, when I got to a spot I had scouted the day before, I would break off the main road and still hunt the rest of the day. About 8am, I made my move off the road. I was hunting a tidal flat with grass plains on both sides. I would hike in the flat (where the packed sand made for easy walking) then pop up on the grassy plain (about two feet higher than the flat) about every hundred yards and glass.
                            At 0830, I decided to work my way through an area of yucca and mesquite up on the grassy plain. After about a quarter mile, out of nowhere, I spot a cow about 75 yards off. I don't think she saw me. I hit the deck, chambered a round and got on the sticks. The 30 mph wind made it tough to steady the rifle, but the shot felt good. The track was easy in the blood spattered waist high grass, and 50 yards later, I had my first nilgai on the ground.

This is the first time I had quartered an animal that large in the field, and it was a great experience. I got the meat in a mesquite tree, threw the straps and loins in my day pack, and trekked back 3+ miles back to the truck. It was a long day with multiple trips made packing all the meat out, but it was worth it.

Great experience, and I’ll definitely be putting in for this draw hunt in the future. Best of luck to those that drew the last rifle hunt!

[ATTACH]765131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]765130[/ATTACH]
                            Tracks in the mud flat.

[ATTACH]765129[/ATTACH]
                            Success!

[ATTACH]765128[/ATTACH]
                            About 1.5 hours later.

[ATTACH]765127[/ATTACH]
                            What caliber is that Featherweight?

Comment

.270 wcf

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post

[ATTACH]765131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]765130[/ATTACH]
                                Tracks in the mud flat.

[ATTACH]765129[/ATTACH]
                                Success!

[ATTACH]765128[/ATTACH]
                                About 1.5 hours later.

[ATTACH]765127[/ATTACH]
                                Awesome write up! I have been applying for about 8 years and still haven't been drawn!! I didn't know they let you field dress/quarter in the field. I thought you had to bring the animal back to the check point? Post the live grillin thread when you smoke those backstraps!

Comment

Working...
                                X