No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going up there this Friday and hunting through Monday morning then heading back home! Was going to try and hunt Evans and Martins canyons but that seems to be were everybody is going so plans have changed and don't know were I will end up! My try north turkey creek canyon and bungee will see when I get there if it is grown up or still really open!

Comment

Originally posted by scott.sewall View Post
      I am new to amarillo been living up here for about a year and can't afford a lease so Merideth is all I got. I've never hunted a place like it so what are the essentials that I would need to bring with me on a hunt up there?
      4x4 unless you dont mind hoofing it. Depending on how far you plan on walking, take plenty of food and water. That's rough country with lots of rattlesnakes so id take a friend. At least let someone know you are going where you plan to hunt. Pm me your phone and I can tell you where I used to hunt and give more details on what to expect.

Comment

I'm going through Amarillo on the 16-17 of November, I am tempted to stop by this area to hunt, is mule deer season still going?

Comment

Originally posted by jason.dickens View Post
          I'm going through Amarillo on the 16-17 of November, I am tempted to stop by this area to hunt, is mule deer season still going?
          It closes last day of bow season and then doesn't open back up until the weekend before thanksgiving and is open 2 weeks 3 weekends. But if you do go there are plenty of whitetails in there.

Comment

I have hunted Lake Meredith last year and the year before. The year before we saw lots of whitetails, but last year we did not see one single whitetail. Anyone else have the same problem last year?

Comment

Just Got Back

I had an awesome time. I was out there alone, however I had a sat phone and a personal locator beacon in case I ran into some trouble. I slept in a tent and it got really chilly overnight. I saw quite a few does but no bucks. I primarily hunted Devils Canyon and Big Canyon. It was hot and the flies and mosquitos were pretty bad if I wasn't running my thermocell. I may try to go back during rifle season after Thanksgiving. If anyone needs any intel pm me and I can help give some insight. It is an enormous place with very rough country. The noisy group that showed up left in quite a hurry about 2 hours after the arrived I heard crying and am wondering if they saw a snake or someone may have been stung by a scorpion as they were very thick in the campground, I killed three in the latrine on the first night, it made for a quick think as I didn't want to get stung on the *** or somewhere worse. I then killed quite a few every evening in camp usually they were in my firewood.
              Last edited by BigD1951; 10-24-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

If I can figure out how to post some pics I will later.

Comment

Thinking about going this weekend if possible. Any tips on where to go? Has anyone been up there this year, if so what have you seen?

Comment

Is going to Lake Meredith worth it during bow season? Anyone have any luck?

Comment

Originally posted by TTUBowHunter12 View Post
                      Thinking about going this weekend if possible. Any tips on where to go? Has anyone been up there this year, if so what have you seen?
                      I just got back yesterday, I was strictly hunting mulies and as such you can only shoot bucks, does are a big no no $10000 FINE. I talked to a ranger who said that you will find the whitetails near the river in the brushy land. But like I said I was looking for a mule deer buck so I stayed up in the canyons.

Comment

Some of the toughest land in Texas to bow hunt! I have never seen a shooter buck, just a bunch of fork horns.

Comment

Lake Meredith 2014

Originally posted by timeTOwreckEM View Post
                          Some of the toughest land in Texas to bow hunt! I have never seen a shooter buck, just a bunch of fork horns.

I seen a few really nice bucks and a couple monsters out there during the rut those big boys come out of hiding. Too bad it's after season.

Comment

I've kill a so--so mule deer buck in the past with a rifle, and have helped pack out both mule deer and whitetails from some of those canyons.

I've seen some nice whitetails, but nothing over 125 inches.

I've never seen a really nice mule deer buck, but I've been told that they are there!

I've never bow hunted the lake, but I would imagine it would be a little tough due to the long walks and the high temps.

Comment

We saw 3 mulie bucks last year....two of them spikes....the third was a NICE 4x4 about 22 inches wide.

Comment

Just got back on Monday from there and it was a very hard hunt due to all the rain they had this year and the weeds took it over down in the canyons so you couldn't see any deer unless they came into some small opening and you had to be up high to see them! We hunted North turkey creek the first morning Sat. and saw 11 Mulley does and a Bald Eagle! On Sunday we went to Plum creek and walked back to Evans Canyon and saw nothing! That was a tuff one getting there from Plum creek and back in one day! I will come in from Blue west next time! Saw one Mulley doe by camp! We camped down in Chimney Hollow! Monday we hunted North Canyon and saw two doe there and that was all we saw! Came home after that morning hunt! I would say in my time there that it would be very hard to even get a shot at a deer by spot and stocking them because of the under growth and very long shots you would have to take! The only way to hunt the place would be by ground blind or tree stand by a good trail leading to water! There are some spot you can do this along the river and lake shore you just have to have the time to find them and hunt it hard but it can be done if you stay for a week or two and wait them out I believe! We had a good time me and my son Josh as it was his first time to mule deer hunt! It kicked out butts and let us know we are still alive but it was all worth the trip! It is the hardest place I have ever hunted for mule deer and I have been everywhere in Texas to hunt them!

Comment

Working...
                                X