Lake Meredith 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
    Heck I am going up during guns season, and I went up during gun season last year saw nary a soul. I aint scared.
    I ain't scared either I just prefer not to bow hunt during rifle season on public land. I have had a lot of bullets whiz by me in my life already. I may try out there in late season after rifle season has calmed down depending on how my earlier hunts turn out. I have no problem trying to get as far away from the roads as possible. It's hunting not walk off the road and shoot.

Comment

don't let yourself get low on gas If you get on the NW side you could be quite a ways from fuel. personally, I think it is better to go with a buddy. it is indeed a big place.

Comment

I plan on getting up there at least one day the week of thanksgiving. Wish I could make it up there for archery season.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD1951 View Post
          I'm headed up there around the 20th of October, the rut should be getting underway. Any advice on hunting Meredith.
          Rut is later but you're probably better off bow hunting early. Way too many people during rifle season. Hope your not scared of shaky tails cause they are thick up there especially in the fall. Bring your snake boots.

Comment

Originally posted by flogORfish View Post
            don't let yourself get low on gas If you get on the NW side you could be quite a ways from fuel. personally, I think it is better to go with a buddy. it is indeed a big place.
            That ain't no b.s!!! Don't think you can drive around it either, you're going back to Amarillo if you do that!

Comment

Originally posted by jpowledge View Post
              Rut is later but you're probably better off bow hunting early. Way too many people during rifle season. Hope your not scared of shaky tails cause they are thick up there especially in the fall. Bring your snake boots.
              Thats what I was thinking, not really concerned with rattle bugs. We had a ranch in the San Marcos area until last fall, I killed three in the house and too many to count when I was in the yard or out checking cows. I'm guessing that as this is National Park land they frown upon the dispatching of snakes. I'm gonna have to talk to the rangers and see what they say. My snake boots are #2 on my list right behind my bow. Luckily I get 400 miles on a tank and It will be full before I go out but I am not really planning on driving around much I enjoy the hump and have no problem putting many miles on my boots a day. I'm just stoked to get out there and hunt the way I grew up hunting and see all the beautiful scenery. If anyone would like to join me, they are more than welcome to tag along.

Comment

Im headed out there on Wednesday and we'll be hunting thru Monday. This is our 4th year in a row to bow hunt up there. Awesome place, as rugged of a terrain as you can get and hard as Hell to do it right but we're going after those mulies again. I hope theyre in the canyons as last year it seemed they were all up top. 2 years ago they were in the canyons pretty good and my buddy got within about 75 yards of a nice 3X4 buck but couldnt close the deal. Were super excited as we drive 500 one way (from East of Dallas) miles to make this hunt every year. Sucks it will be a full moon but that wont slow us down, you just never know how it will turn out.

Comment

Have a fun and let us know how the hunt goes.

Comment

Good luck. What area do you hunt? I used to like alibates though I always killed my deer close to the Dumas bridge on 287.

Comment

Well we camp in the Plum Creek area and hunt up towards Devil's Canyon but the last day last year we went up to Mcbride and really liked the area so I think that's where we'll be heading to start. You never know where we'll end up as we just kinda go with the flow so to speak. Were planning on hiking to the top and camping up there for a night or two so it will make the hikes to Mcbride easier early in the morning.

Comment

I love Meredith threads. Hunted up there once and would love to go back one day. Will be following this thread closely. Good luck to you guys.

Comment

I said we were hunting Mcbride but I was wrong. We'll be hunting Evans and Martins canyons to start out. Were bout halfway there now woo hoo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
                            I said we were hunting Mcbride but I was wrong. We'll be hunting Evans and Martins canyons to start out. Were bout halfway there now woo hoo!!

Good luck! I used to hunt a lot at McBride and Mullinaw.

Comment

Good luck! I'll be going in a week and a half or so, don't run them all out.

Comment

Are y'all still up there? How was it? Sounded like there was quite the weather change.

Comment

Working...
                                X