Lake Meredith 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
    I said we were hunting Mcbride but I was wrong. We'll be hunting Evans and Martins canyons to start out. Were bout halfway there now woo hoo!!
    Back when Meredith was a lake the only way to hunt there was by boat. Are there trails to drive over there now?

Comment

Originally posted by jpowledge View Post
      Back when Meredith was a lake the only way to hunt there was by boat. Are there trails to drive over there now?
      There are boat ramps that are almost 10 miles from the water now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        There are boat ramps that are almost 10 miles from the water now.
        Crazy! We use to catch a lot of nice walleye up there. The lake is coming up some with the rain we have had. Its up from 29' to around 45'.

Comment

We got back yesterday and had a blast. We saw 8 mule deer does over the 4 days we hunted and bedded down 2 of them but never got on a buck. The third day was a bust as we moved to an area we saw a few bucks at 2 years ago but after the fresh rain we pretty much figure the deer were just not using those particular canyons as there were absolutely no fresh tracks or sign of any kind. We went back to the area we saw the does at the 1st 2 days and ended up seeing 2 more does and LOTS of fresh beds and sign and a few buck tracks but a nasty storm blew thru that last evening and since we were about 2 1/2 miles from camp we had to head back a lil early. Lots of freakin rattle snakes the 1st night but that front blew thru and sent them underground. I think we were on the bucks but just ran out of time. We learned alot about those mulies by watching them get up and feed and then bed back down in the brush. I will post some pics later on.

Comment

Better luck next time. That is tough hunting for sure. It's funny how those bucks know the difference between public and private land up there.

Comment

It is 150% fair chase lol. That's public land hunting and anybody who has actually hunte mulies in that brutal terrain knows exactly what I'm talking about. It was a blast. That was our 4th trip and I think we are getting closer to getting a buck every time out there. Heres a few pics...

Comment

Cool pictures!

Comment

I'm headed to Merideth. I'm stoked can't wait I'll try to keep y'all informed.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully I'll be up there the week after thanksgiving.

Comment

That's awesome looking country. I've got family all over up there. Going to have to make a trip there sometime.

Comment

I am new to amarillo been living up here for about a year and can't afford a lease so Merideth is all I got. I've never hunted a place like it so what are the essentials that I would need to bring with me on a hunt up there?

Comment

Well there goes the neighborhood. I had the campground all to myself last night but tonight 2 groups of people showed up. One group had 2 cars full of people and I can hear them yelling over 200 yards away, so much for my peaceful relaxing hunt. Hopefully they will leave tomorrow. On the bright side I hunte all day today, y'all are right it is some awesome country. I think I'm onto some mulies so we will see what the next 3 days brings.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD1951 View Post
                              Well there goes the neighborhood. I had the campground all to myself last night but tonight 2 groups of people showed up. One group had 2 cars full of people and I can hear them yelling over 200 yards away, so much for my peaceful relaxing hunt. Hopefully they will leave tomorrow. On the bright side I hunte all day today, y'all are right it is some awesome country. I think I'm onto some mulies so we will see what the next 3 days brings.

You hunting alone or with others? Good luck and keep us updated.

I need to get back up there. Been following these hunts for a few years now. It's been about 10 years since my only hunt up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
                                We got back yesterday and had a blast. We saw 8 mule deer does over the 4 days we hunted and bedded down 2 of them but never got on a buck. The third day was a bust as we moved to an area we saw a few bucks at 2 years ago but after the fresh rain we pretty much figure the deer were just not using those particular canyons as there were absolutely no fresh tracks or sign of any kind. We went back to the area we saw the does at the 1st 2 days and ended up seeing 2 more does and LOTS of fresh beds and sign and a few buck tracks but a nasty storm blew thru that last evening and since we were about 2 1/2 miles from camp we had to head back a lil early. Lots of freakin rattle snakes the 1st night but that front blew thru and sent them underground. I think we were on the bucks but just ran out of time. We learned alot about those mulies by watching them get up and feed and then bed back down in the brush. I will post some pics later on.
                                Were yall back towards Evans and Martins canyons this year? I have been on that side of Plum Creek ramp past 2 years and have yet to see a muley buck but consistently have seen muley does and whitetail does and have only seen one whitetail buck but he was down by the river. Hopefully this year with a rifle I can get something knocked down, and going to have a buddy with me as well so hopefully that extra pair of eyes will help.

Comment

Working...
                                X