No announcement yet.

Aransas Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 15 years of the refuge you would think I could wait, but the dang place is like a drug addiction cann't wait for my fix. See ya'll soon.

Comment

Addiction

Yea, I know what you mean. I started hunting there in 1975 and I was hooked when I walked up on a mesquite tree with legs. It was the biggest monster buck that I ever seen and got within 30 yards before I let an arrow fly. Missed with the first arrow because of buck fever but got another chance at him at 35 yards and shot low. Didn't stop shakin for an hour, that was my addiction from then on. Throughout my many hunts there I 've had lots of opportunities but I keep hoping to run across other grand daddy , theres alot that die of old age.

Comment

Man Im looking forward to this hunt. I cant wait

Comment

Well we picked up a tripod and legs from Academy today, I realize this is gonna be heavy but Im fairly strong so ill pack it in a ways. I have all my basic gear ready to go now so itll be a matter of just washing the hunting clothes and throwing them into a sent proof bag. Quick guestion does anybody know what is covered in the class they are having on the 18 of October, well according to the paper I have not really a class just a tips and techniques seminar I guess.. Ah well anyway ya look at it Im gonna go check it out. Also I put a Mathews DXT on layaway at the local archery shop but wont have it paid off in time to hunt ANWR so I will be shooting my Golden Eagle.

Comment

Which of the tripods did you get 10 ft or higher? I’m heading over tomorrow to academy. The refuge claims that only persons with permits would be allow to setup. This would make it harder for one person to carry the pod, but I guess it’s worth the trouble. Did you practice assembling in place; is it easy to take apart? Do you think we need to chain it to something to make sure no one runs off with it? Are you taking some square pads to lie on the ground to prevent the feet from sinking in? I don’t even know what I’m saying, I’m just yakking with anticipation. I’m new to this hunt also, and I haven't gotten the package yet. Bad planning on my behave by making a trip arrangements with my family around that dates of the bow hunting class going on the 20th and 21st and that class on the 18th that I would be missing out. I'm scheduled to be back on the 20th from vacation, so no way I’ll make it. I heard that a person would have to make both days. If I had known I would reschedule our trip and attend all classes offered. My body might be some where else but my mind would be at the refuge!!!!

Looking forward to my first hunt with a bow.

Comment

I bought the magnum tripod cost 104 and then the 12 foot leg set for 106. I am only gonna use one set of legs so the stand will be right at six feet to the bottom of the seat. The class seminar is on the 18th of october after the hunting session out at the refuge. The tripod top weighs about 40 pound and the three leg sections weigh roughly the same. I bought the 12 foot leg set because next year I will probably buy another top and use the second set of legs to put up another stand. I wish I would have know about the ability to hunt out there I would not be trying to get stuff together this late and would have planned better. Being my first season to hunt there I wont have some things but I will figure out what I will need for next years hunts and will have my DXT instead of it being on layaway.

Comment

I have never had trouble with tripods being messed with at the refuge.
                kd5uwg if you got the 10ft tripod from acadamey it has pad on the bottom of the legs already or at least the 2 I bought last year did they will work fine. As far as the hunt hang in there its almost here.

Comment

I am only using the top section of legs, because it was suggested to stay no higher than 6 to 7 feet up. I will be putting some plywood squares under the legs to keep it from sinking into the sand. Got the 12 foot leg set to be able to put a second stand together for next season.

Comment

Newbie, asking for input

My first time out hunting and my first year at the refuge any suggestions, input or advice for us newbies on what is needed out on the field? Here’s my list: Drinking water, range finder, binocular, snacks, lunch? snake boots and snake protection up to the waist? People claim rattle snakes get on the top of the grass land to dry up to soak some of the heat, so they are high enough to bite higher than normal. Paper toilet, want to add to the list……………..

Any suggestions on how someone deals with the infestation of mosquitoes, or other little creepy crawlers? Some people say that dog flea collars on the legs will prevent bug coming up your legs? Mosquitoe repellent, but what about the scent? Can deer smell that stuff.

What happens if I do harvest a deer. Field dressing? No clue on what to do or need? Other than sharp knife, rope, ……………….? Instinct? Does anyone know if personnel there guide you through and help in putting your game in the cooler?

I understand that the class is the way to go ,but prior to knowing about the class on the 20th and 21st I made arrangement with the family. I need to follow through as not to feel guilty when I take off bow hunting at the refuge.
                    Suggestions, input, and advice is welcomed

Comment

List help LOTS of drinking water when your not thirsty still drink till your discharge is clear.
                      I use a 3-D suit and spray it with permathane ( not sure of the spelling ) insect repellant its good for 2 weeks or so works great you can get it at Wal-Mart in the camping section. Also get a Therma Cell they work and I have not had any deer smell any of the above.
                      Snakes I have never seen a rattle snake not to said they are not there. I were snake boots and hunt just watch were you step.
                      Field dressing of deer is done in the hunt area only. THere will be somebody at the gate to show you were to put your deer or pig. There is a log you must fill out. Make sure you have tagged your deer with the correct tag and the log on your license is filled out before you transport any deer from the location you found it.

If I can help any more just call me at 361-222-1152 ( Danny ). I will let you know what I know about the refuge hunt.

Comment

signing up for the IBEP CLASS

DANNY,

I left a message on the number you gave me to make reservations for my son and I to attend the class being offered on the 20th and 21st . I hope there are seat available.

I shift all my family plans around to make the class

Thanks

Comment

Your good see you there.

Comment

Well looks like we are in the final countdown days till the IBEP class at Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, And the archery hunts there starting on the 4th of October. I hope every body fared well during hurricane IKE. Ive been trying to shoot my bow every other day or since I found out you could hunt out there. Im not having any problems putting arrows into the breadbasket of the practice targets so I am pretty prepared. Now that I have found a place close by to hunt I will be practicing a lot more thru out the year especially when I finally get my DXT outta layaway.

Comment

We now have 24 bowhunters signed up for this year's class with room to squeeze in two more last minute takers. This is not counting 4 or 5 of the youth(under 12) bowhunters who are setting in on the class.

This year's class is going to be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to seeing all the permitted IBEP certified bowhunters out scouting!
                              Last edited by Thumper; 09-16-2008, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Chris,

Dad and I are planning to stop by there Saturday before the scouting begins. We're hoping to get in the same spots as last year. I'm excited and ready to go! See y'all down there!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X