sabine national forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sabine national forest

Lets talk some Sabine national forest. Anyone plan to hunt or hunted there in the past. Have seen lots of good deer in the area near six mile and fairmount.

I have hunted the Moore Plantation in SNF for the last two years. Havent had any luck but really enjoy the challenge so will keep trying.

Comment

Found a website for ya.
      Last edited by lunatic'hunter; 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Yes have hunted the Moore Plantation bout 3 years. Have'nt shot anything but it's always enjoyable. If you plan on hunting the area be sure and go ahead and apply for your doe permit, just send in a post card. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/...fswdev3_008442

Comment

Yes, I have hunted the area for 21 years now. I have hunted The Moore Platantion all of those years, but I have also hunted all of the SNF below Hemphill, plus the Indian Mounds Wilderness Area.

The biggest issue I have with the Moore Plantation is the constant burning of the forest by the Forestry Service. And when they burn, they burn huge tracts, probably 3-4000 acres at a time. Even though this does keep the woods from being to choked up with hard wood underbrush, they have, in a lot of areas, reduced the bedding areas and security "safe havens" to the bigger pine farms. This has resulted in the deer herd being reduced greatly over the past 20 years. So, gettiing on a big buck, which are few and far between, is very difficult and requires a lot of scouting, knowing a lot of country, and just a little luck. It takes perseverance.

Trust me, I have covered it from one end to the other and pretty much know it by heart.

So, I think you need to mix the hunting up with the the rest of the SNF, not just the Moore Plantation. There are some of the most awesome hardwood country as you will find, but the herd is somewhat thin, but the deer are really healthy. Good luck.

Comment

I did not see the part about the doe tags. I remember a few years back all the problems they had with getting the proper tags to people. i got pulled for one of the tags and at the top it said for a youth hunter. a few days later i got a letter in the mail that stated it was a mix up and to use the tag but keep the letter and show the mistake. please tell me how to get a tag. i like to hunt the SNF more than the Moore plantation because it is closer to the camp. last year i had the same deer 8 point walk within 25 yards of my stand 6 different times. I could not make up my mind if he was 13 inches or better in width. I have seen many a deer on the side of the rode that would make the trip to the taxi. its funny how they disappear during the day.

Comment

I have hunted the upper end around Huxley for 40 years. Some good deer.

Comment

Cur dog I've hunted near ragtown for 7 years now. There are lots of good deer up there. The biggest buck I got on camera was there

Comment

Moore Plantation

Don't give up. I have had pretty good luck at moore, but it is tough. I have only hunted it two years but have shot a doe each year (with a tag during gun season) and saw two 8's i should not have passed on. Hunting somewhere tough is better than not hunting at all!

Comment

Originally posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
                    Yes have hunted the Moore Plantation bout 3 years. Have'nt shot anything but it's always enjoyable. If you plan on hunting the area be sure and go ahead and apply for your doe permit, just send in a post card. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/...fswdev3_008442
                    Can also apply online

Comment

Ragtown has some good deer! I'm up at Huxley and Teneha Creek. My dad lives on the lake just south of Huxley Bay.

If you ever need anything up there, give me a shout.

Comment

Thanks cur dog we try to get up to ragtown about mid Nov and stay the whole week of thanksgiving

Comment

See next post.
                          Last edited by lunatic'hunter; 08-27-2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

One of my hunting buddies has a brother that has a camp by Sixmile. I was looking at the SNF map and we are planning on going to check out the Lakeview campsite and probably the Indian Mounds also. My buddy is buying an RV and those campsites look like they are right on the shoreline. And plenty owf woods to hunt. So we might give that area a crack.

On the doe permits. The year before last they did it online. Last year they did postcards. Called the Ranger Office today and the lady told me this year, they are doing both. They wo'nt have the apps up till Sept 1st. And you can apply Sept 1st-30th. Good Luck to all.E=TallTexan;5724766]Can also apply online[/QUOTE]

Comment

I've hunted it for the last six years and love it. We have about 1500 acres leased right in the middle of it near Patroon. Deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, squirrel, and bobcats. We have had some trespassing trouble and thieves hit our camp got broken into a couple of times about four years ago. No pro lens lately. Maybe the meth heads that live down those dirt roads have wiped each other out.

Comment

Working...
                              X