sabine national forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No deer up there

We used to fish for Crappie in Patroon creek. Have not been down there in several years.

The house my dad lives in was built in 1856. Oldest house in Shelby county. Used to be a ferry crossed on the river right below the house. He remolded it about 20 years ago.

Comment

Very cool. Yup. Good crappie at that bridge by Holly Park. Everybody in that that store can put you on some good spots.

Comment

Let's hear some reports on how it's going out in the woods! I haven't had the best of luck so far. Seen a lot of deer but have been winded once and picked off twice. On top of that this spot I've hunted for the past few years has finally been discovered. Found the toilet paper someone discarded of. I am on the trail of another nice buck right now one I passed on last year. He's not the biggest but he will do.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349558669.811113.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	24125224
        Sorry for the crappy pic laptop is trashed.

Comment

Anyone doing any good?

Comment

It's been a decent start. Several legal buck seen just no shooters. My bud stuck a big 8 at Moore but never found it. I watched the video of the shot it was early morning but looked right in the pump station. Have noticed a lot more fawns this year. It's just about to get good though scrapes ate popping up everywhere and the hogs have moved out of my area.

Comment

I am going to be hunting the Sabine National Forest this year. I had planned on hunting it the pastt few years but always had a lease. To go to. This will be my first year hunting public land, due to the financial reasons I can't afford a lease.plan on hunting off of 2694. I am not looking for anyone's honeyhole but any pointers would be appreciated. I will also be taking my 10 year old grandson hunting for the first time there. Thanks for any help.

Comment

We call it the big woods around Boles Field. Lots of room in there and not a bunch of people hunting. Grannies creek runs on the north side of the road. Some big draws in there. My dad lives about 7 minutes from there. I hunt off of Teneha Creek so I can not help you with an area around there. My cousins kill some good deer there along with the Hendrick's boys.

I'll be there starting Wednesday - Sunday and will be up there for a couple of days every week until Thanksgiving.

Comment

Cur Dog, I've got family that lives in Huxley. East of FS126 on FM2694. I've hunted the SNF only once on new years weekend about 7 or 8 years back when it snowed that weekend. I hunted around Ragtown. I saw quite a few deer that last weekend. I like to go back and hunt there again, I saw plenty of good sign. But it's hard to leave the SHNF.

Comment

Thanks I will be going out this weekend with my grandson for youth weekend.

Comment

I've just started huntin there at the moore plantation. No luck but very very nice place to hunt. my brother n law turned me on to it second weekend of season.

Comment

any luck with the youth weekend?

I'm heading up Tuesday night.

Comment

Nothing yet. Will be hunting around Boles field opening weekend of firearms season.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

weekend before Thanksgiving

Our plan is to come up the 17th thru the 21st. Me and couple of buddies will be pulling travel trailer up to either Moore Plantation or Indian Mounds. If at Moore we will be at campsite on CR 114 right before you get to Pine Hwy 2426. Hope plans don't change.

Comment

How did everyone do?

Dad got a spike and I saw a few small deer. Lot's of rubs and scrapes.

Comment

Working...
                                X