No announcement yet.

LBJ Grasslands 2012 Hunting Seasons Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck to all out there this wet morning.

Comment

I wish I was out there today but had to help and support the wife to get her Hunter Safety so we will be out this week.. Leave a few deer for us please..lol

Comment

Hunter Orange is not required during archery season.

Caddo and Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) National Grasslands
        General Prohibitions 08-13-08-12-15

261.58(v) Hunting or accompanying a hunter during any permitted hunting season without wearing 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange, with a minimum of 144 square inches visible on both chest and back and daylight fluorescent headwear.

Exceptions:
        1. When hunting turkey, migratory birds, fur-bearing animals
        or predatory animals at night.
        2. During archery season on Lyndon B. Johnson National
        Grassland

Comment

It's coming down good right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DEERTRACKER View Post
            PastorIKE been following your other thread about hunting spots and stands being left out. Last year was a fly by the seat of my past as a first year bow hunter. But this year I have tried to scout as much as I can. Since doing so I have found an ladder stand that seems to have been there a few years, and a couple wood built set ups in trees. Kinda funny how you come accross an area and say this would be nice and then you look up and someone has already built something in the tree. Anyways... if the stand (some wood built structure) is already there, besides the potential of it being dangerous, if you do choose to hunt from it, are you then liable as if you built it if a ranger does comes apon you. Its a perfect spot, and its already there, just dont want to get into trouble for destroying wildlife.
            You can be if they know about it and know its been there and you show up in it. Not sure they would do anything but I'd just put a stand in the tree next to it. To be on the safe side.

Comment

no good tree next to it... looked at it from every angle... would have to cut down a couple small ones and not about to do that. So I sat in the stand today, getting wet and fighting back allergies and a runny nose and falling asleep in a tree until about 3 when it really started to rain again. So I convinced myself that my time would be better spent at home taking medicine and a nap and wainting on the weather. I climb down gather my gear and walk the 100 feet out of the woods to the clearing to take the trail back to the truck... right there at my trail head is a pop up blind who came in after me and set up a happy little campsite. No wonder I didnt see anything, but I bet they were surprised to see walk right past them from out of nowhere. I mean.. who's not looking for muddy tracks when walking out to there spot, and then set up shop right on top of them where they turn into the woods. Geeez, glad I left now.

Comment

Went out tonight and got soaked...froze to death till about 7:00 and I climbed down...when I got back to the truck the temp read 58!!!! Brrrrrr...gonna go to church and head out after lunch with the fam...a wet day but a good one!!!

Comment

I saw lots of hunters, no deer while I was hunting.

Comment

First post - big day
                    Question for you guys...yall are a much better source for information than the cryptic state and federal websites...

I know you have to have had a Hunters Safety Course if born after 1971 and all that jazz, but some public lands require a Bowhunters Education Certification as well. Does LBJ? And does anyone know of a good central source for information like this out there?

Comment

LBJ dose not require Bowhunter's Ed. Bowhunter's Ed is a TP&W program that is only required on some types of public lands; ie; some wild life preserves run by the US Fish and Wild Life Service. And it is also reciprocal with other states and countries that do require such to hunt. I would suggest you go by the LBJ office located in Decator, Texas where you can pick up a map and all the hunting regulations for the LBJ National Grasslands. It is located right on Hwy 287, on the north side of the road, just north of the 380 overpass. It will a have a US Forestry Service sign out front .

There are 4 types of public lands in Texas. Each has it's own format/requirements. Some are state owned or state leased private property, and the rest mostly 1 of 3 different types of Fed lands.
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-29-2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Well said Texas Grown...and thanks for the compliment about the free flowing info TX29877...anything to help out our fellow bowhunting brothas!!!

Comment

I'm ready to go for early morning. Shot a spike for meat at my farm this morning. Saw 7 deer when I pulled cards out there on Friday.. Tomorrow morning should be good!

Comment

Any luck yet guys?? I'm gonna try to make it out there soon. I spent opening wheeling hunting in Morgan. Great ranch, just didn't work out for us. Got soaked to the bone sat, and froze my butt off!!

Comment

I'll be driving up oct 25th should get in around 1am or 2 just been too dang busy working down south to get to come up.

Comment

No bloody arrows for me this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X