No announcement yet.

hog hunt at lavon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm headed out right now to check it out. Just gonna do some stalking and see if I can find any sign.

Comment

Rats. Already headed to grab a drink. Thinking I will go scout tomorrow. Jobless right now so weekdays are wide open.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370386878.722189.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	24207077
        Tons of sign and spooked a deer walking in. Geez it's hot though!

Comment

What zone/area are you in?

Comment

Not sure of the zone but up on the north side of the lake

Comment

Originally posted by CWP View Post
              Hey gents. Just got my Lavon permit today. Will be doing some scouting since I just moved to the DFW area and don't know the lake. Hit me up if you're heading out there and we can meet up.

CWP, how did you go about getting your lavon permit? I need to get mine but not sure where to start! How much did it cost? Can I get it online or do i have to go somewhere in person? Thanks for any info in advance!!

Comment

You have to go to the lavon office in Wylie, it can't be done online unless you had a permit last year. Need your hunting license and hunters ed card when you go in and it's a free permit.

No hogs this evening. PLenty of mosquitos, I got tore up. I will be going out again soon!

Comment

It's free. Most info is here: https://lavonlakehunting.tamu.edu/

First time you have to go to the office (south side of the lake just outside Wylie).

Comment

You can also get your first time permit via mail if you don't want to drive to the office during business hours (M-F 8-4 as I recall). I got mine via mail. After the first year you can renew online.

Comment

Forgot to mention: In my (so far, limited) experience the hogs are completely nocturnal there.

I suspect it's because of the amount of human recreational activity in the area. I have seen lots of sign in the daylight but no hogs while the sun was up. I've only been out there once since I got a bow light so I could hunt at night.

That time I heard one grunt downwind of me about 10pm indicating I probably got busted. I was set up and watching a wallow upwind of me, but they may have been bedding further downwind -- not sure. Then I spooked a few hogs in the dark about 100 feet from the car as I was leaving nearer to 11pm. When they jumped, just a few feet from me, so did I.

In three trips I have yet to get one in my sights. I've been advised to expect to see get an opportunity to shoot about 1 in 5 trips out there on public land. The inability to bait limits your options somewhat. I'm trying to figure out some sweet spots to visit on a regular basis in different units based upon the wind direction that day.

Comment

I walked down through part of where unit 9 and 12 meet this morning. Didn't walk too far in...maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. Saw some rooting and some tracks. Rooting looked old, as did most of the prints. Mosquito's were sure happy to see me.

Bumped into a gentleman and his grandson that were hunting squirrels. He said he lives on the NW side of #10 and that there are tons of hogs up that way. Says when the low areas flood he has tons come up on to his property...where he picks them off.

Comment

Came back out today. Bought a thermacell earlier today and let me tell you, greatest invention ever devised.

Comment

No hogs. Got out late and meet a guy walking through hunting squirrels and rabbits with a shot gun.

Comment

Great info guys! Thank you! Yeah, the thermacell is an incredible unit. Always have mine in my pack! # 10 area has lots of hogs you say??

Comment

That's what he says. Problem looks to be a way in. Looks like have to hike north from 2756. His place looks to be 2 miles up but who knows what's to be found in between. I found a way in to #13 I want to explore too.

Comment

Working...
                                X