hog hunt at lavon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by browndown View Post
    TECHNICALLY no baiting is allowed, not even liquid. But it's very hard to get caught with liquid is what everyone is saying! Haha. I have just been setting up a natural blind and no cams or real stands in fear of them being on public land and someone might...ahem....seize the opportunity on a $200 piece of equipment. Night hunting IS legal. I say just go out there and waste a day relaxing in the woods scouting out areas, there is sign everywhere in areas 2 and 4 from my limited, yet recent experience. And make sure you visit the tamu lavon lake hunting site to get your free permit and parking pass.
    Thanks for the info brown down! Much appreciated! I want to get my permit and then scout out the areas. I downloaded the map of lavon with the hunting areas in red. Which areas would you guys say have the best hog activity? I also wan to setup a Trailcam so I can check back after a week or so to see what kind of activity im getting.

Comment

I just came across this site. What a great resource. I have never bow hunted before, but I'm looking to make the switch. I need a good activity to get the kids off the computer and into nature.

I have hunted deer before the kids came along, and fish with them on Lavon today. If anyone is looking for company on scouting trips to Lavon, I'd love to come along and learn. Nothing like learning how to Bow Hunt Hogs on the internet, to make for a bad experience.

If Cabellas has a left handed Infinite Edge on Monday, I should have a new bow next week.

Comment

Originally posted by mschlott View Post
        I just came across this site. What a great resource. I have never bow hunted before, but I'm looking to make the switch. I need a good activity to get the kids off the computer and into nature.

I have hunted deer before the kids came along, and fish with them on Lavon today. If anyone is looking for company on scouting trips to Lavon, I'd love to come along and learn. Nothing like learning how to Bow Hunt Hogs on the internet, to make for a bad experience.

If Cabellas has a left handed Infinite Edge on Monday, I should have a new bow next week.
        First off all, welcome to the site!

If you are a beginner, I would recommend going to a shop that specializes in archery, rather than buying from a big store like Cabelas. You will get better service and they can properly get you measured for your draw length, as well as getting some coaching on proper technique, as well as helping you get proper arrows and accessories. Stores like Cabelas are okay if you are experienced and know what you need.

Also check out the Collin County Bowhunters Association. You can find the website pretty easily with Google. We have monthly 3D target shoots, and it's a great way to meet some other bow hunters in the area.

I haven't been out to Lavon in a while but I may try my luck out there again soon.

Comment

I still haven't had a chance to get out there! Too much other stuff going on on the weekends lol. Dang.

Comment

Got a buddy coming up from Austin next weekend and he wants to hunt Lavon. You guys recommend any areas? We're going to do a Saturday night hog hunt. I still haven't set up a trailcam anywhere out there yet maybe I'll do that one night this week and check back on saturday.

Comment

I'm new to this, too, and looking to get some experience. I got my Lavon permit a few months ago, and since then life has conspired to keep me from getting out.

I may be able to get out there for a few hours this Saturday 5-6pm until around dusk. Next Saturday, the 18th, I could spend a few more hours out there. I don't plan to wander around after dark, particularly since the area is new to me.

Based upon this thread, I'd start with unit #2. That's my plan anyway.

Comment

I can't think of an area out there where I haven't seen pig sign. Just time it to be in the woods around dusk and you should be able to hear em before you run into em.

Took this one last year in march. Too bad I live in Ft. Worth now
                Attached Files

Comment

That's one nice hog, just got my bow last week and getting in some practice. Can't wait to go try lavon here soon!

Comment

Try twin sister area and see what you think.

Comment

Where is Twin Sisters? I couldn't find it looking at maps of the lake area.

I spent a few hours bush-whacking in the north end of units 9 & 10 last night. Lots of sign up there but it looked fairly old. I didn't see anything living with less than six legs, wings, or more often both. I heard someone's donkey hee-hawing at me though.

That was my first time out. At least I got my boots dirty. I only knocked one arrow, on spec as dusk fell.

I'd be glad for someone to go with, next time.

Comment

I'm up for some recon some time. Over in Wylie.

Comment

I am planning on going out there Saturday night about 6pm or so, unless I get a better offer.

I was thinking about scouting unit 5. It looks fairly accessible and the latest forecast showed the wind blowing into shore from the lake.

Comment

Hydrick? looks like reba has a new kickstand!

Comment

This is great info men. I appreciate your advise and opinions. I'm attempting to get my nephews into hunting and I believe pigs are the gateway to getting them addicted.
                              thx.
                              db

Comment

Hey gents. Just got my Lavon permit today. Will be doing some scouting since I just moved to the DFW area and don't know the lake. Hit me up if you're heading out there and we can meet up.

Comment

Working...
                                X