No announcement yet.

2023-2024 Official Somerville PHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another fun weekend at Somerville, CR134 box 4. I went out this weekend mainly to do some scouting and to see if I could find some hogs. Did not see any hogs but found a lot of good spots to hunt. On Sunday I walked all the way down past the creek and "pond" where all the duck hunter go to the end of the road where it goes by the oil rig up to the high fence ranch. Right before the rig there was a pile of bones and a wildebeest, it was somewhat fresh, still had skin and meat on it, did not see any wounds. I let the game warden know what I found as it looks like the ranch dumped it out there. I did ask the warden if there were any exotic's on the public land was it ok to hunt. He said no since exotics are not on the legal game legend for that unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocobulldog View Post
      Another fun weekend at Somerville, CR134 box 4. I went out this weekend mainly to do some scouting and to see if I could find some hogs. Did not see any hogs but found a lot of good spots to hunt. On Sunday I walked all the way down past the creek and "pond" where all the duck hunter go to the end of the road where it goes by the oil rig up to the high fence ranch. Right before the rig there was a pile of bones and a wildebeest, it was somewhat fresh, still had skin and meat on it, did not see any wounds. I let the game warden know what I found as it looks like the ranch dumped it out there. I did ask the warden if there were any exotic's on the public land was it ok to hunt. He said no since exotics are not on the legal game legend for that unit.

Would you be willing to let me tag along with you for a hog hunt? I've hunted the area a few times and have only seen one deer and not many hogs. I've hunted the CR124 area. I can give you tips how to hunt and shoot an elk 😂

Comment

Well I never did hunt the unit this year but I did have pics of quite a few doe every day eating acorns. A few young bucks mostly with a couple of mature (4.5 ish) bucks coming through during November rut and December 2nd rut. I would have went in December and shot a doe for meat if it was legal. I wish the doe seasons would change for Lee county

A few hunters came through the area and I think one guy shot a deer but not sure if they ever recovered it. I will say the deer left for a week from area after the night I had pics of those hunters looking for a deer.
        Last edited by Beargrasstx; 01-23-2024, 05:59 AM.

Comment

PLBowhunter - sure company is always welcomed. Won't be able to go out this weekend but may next weekend. First year I hunted out there, mainly hunted out the gate off CR125 then moved over to CR134, have not hunted off CR124 box yet but want to check out the area someday. Saw deer in both areas most times I went out but nothing near enough for a shot, shooting recurve only so have to be 20 yards or less. Did not see any hogs off CR125 but saw lots out of 134. I've been mainly going in straight past the old oil rig pad about 100 yards in and cut over to the left. First day I walked in saw a group, about 20 hogs, come in around 2:30 which was a surprise as it was very warm that day.
          I would love to shoot an elk, but would not like the ticket that it would get me 😁.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocobulldog View Post
            PLBowhunter - sure company is always welcomed. Won't be able to go out this weekend but may next weekend. First year I hunted out there, mainly hunted out the gate off CR125 then moved over to CR134, have not hunted off CR124 box yet but want to check out the area someday. Saw deer in both areas most times I went out but nothing near enough for a shot, shooting recurve only so have to be 20 yards or less. Did not see any hogs off CR125 but saw lots out of 134. I've been mainly going in straight past the old oil rig pad about 100 yards in and cut over to the left. First day I walked in saw a group, about 20 hogs, come in around 2:30 which was a surprise as it was very warm that day.
            I would love to shoot an elk, but would not like the ticket that it would get me 😁.
            I will let you know when I'll be free and hopefully you will be as well. I'm tired up with a few things for the next two weeks or so.

I wasn't saying to shoot an elk here haha. I was just willing to give you a quick 101 thing if we were to hunt together on what to do to be successful vs having to filter through videos and posts that the influencers try to sell you. I was able to shoot an elk in Alberta in September. My first bull. Looked bigger through the scope. Once I got to him I could see he would have been a 6x6 if not for the broken antlers.

Comment

Hi all

I hunt sommerville/nails creek public land. I have hunted it for the past 2 years and i am relatively new to hunting. I archery hunt mostly as that is what you can primarily do there. I have lots of info and pics of does and bucks but haven't got one on the ground yet. I am 70 percent disabled veteran. I am looking for folks that would like to hunt together and share information. I drive the black GMC you might have seen out there. As it is post season now I am looking for folks that would like to meet up to scout and maybe shoot a pig if we see one. I have a e bike as well if we need to go aways.

Comment

Originally posted by Michaelelrod View Post
                Hi all

I hunt sommerville/nails creek public land. I have hunted it for the past 2 years and i am relatively new to hunting. I archery hunt mostly as that is what you can primarily do there. I have lots of info and pics of does and bucks but haven't got one on the ground yet. I am 70 percent disabled veteran. I am looking for folks that would like to hunt together and share information. I drive the black GMC you might have seen out there. As it is post season now I am looking for folks that would like to meet up to scout and maybe shoot a pig if we see one. I have a e bike as well if we need to go aways.
                I have that guys dad or grandfather on camera two years in a row. I finally saw him in person late last year chasing a doe and couldn't get him to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Michaelelrod View Post
                  Hi all

I'm down to meet up for scouting and hog hunting. Never been to Lake Somerville but trying to start hunting more public land. Always good to meet up with a fellow hunter and veteran!

Comment

Working...
                  X