2023-2024 Official Somerville PHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023-2024 Official Somerville PHL Thread

Let's get this started. Only a little over two weeks until opening day. Who's ready? Has anybody been scouting? I thinking it'll be another dry year out there with little to no acorns as well as very little standing water sources.

We have logged around 60 miles on foot. Super excited about opening day. Hopefully we are good enough to be away from the masses.

Comment

Nice! I haven’t even been out once since last season. You just never know out there. Sometimes it works out that way. If not, it’s easy enough to move on to a different spot. Good luck!

Comment

I'm going to check it out for the first time so have no clue other than go to the gate, sign-in and walk.........

Comment

Originally posted by Cocobulldog View Post
          I'm going to check it out for the first time so have no clue other than go to the gate, sign-in and walk.........
          Welcome! Get the "My Texas Hunt Harvest" app for your phone. You can save your info then check in and out each time online just pushing a couple buttons. Make sure you do it before you get out there though because the service isn't great once you're close to the area. The app will also keep track of your harvests etc. Just an FYI, make sure you wear your orange if you're going to be walking and keep an eye out for other hunters as most will be set up in whatever spot they picked out. Good luck out there!

Comment

I’ll be out there!

Comment

I’ve hit it up to scout a couple times a month since March, and everything is as dry and dead as it was last November. Still pockets of green but not as much as the beginning of last October. But man, I’m getting more excited by the day. First time going on the opener, hoping that going early and far in will help. How is it usually on the opener?

Comment

It just depends. It’s usually pretty busy opening day. Everybody has been chomping at the bit to get in the woods for months. It’s gotten progressively busier every year since they allowed crossbows for everyone but the last couple years has been the worst by far. I used to see a couple guys at a parking spot opening day but most of the time I never saw another vehicle or person while I was there. Now it seems like I never see less than a dozen vehicles and sometimes one or two hunters walking through the woods while in the stand. Use you skills to stay away from other people along with high human traffic areas you come by and you’ll be fine. Good luck out there!

Comment

We put in another 4.5 miles this morning. See yall Saturday!

Comment

Why is the gate by box four locked? Made for a long walk

Comment

Originally posted by BulletSAR View Post
                      Why is the gate by box four locked? Made for a long walk
                      I just use the app to check in and out so I don’t have to worry about the boxes or whether there’s a form in there or not.

Comment

Boys are now hard horned. The changes have begun.
                        Get in this Saturday and get your fill. Terrible SE wind that throws plan B into action.

Download the "My Texas Hunt Harvest" app and use the eOSR (On-site Registration). The green trucks will be out this weekend. Don't forget.

Comment

Originally posted by TN_boy View Post
                          Boys are now hard horned. The changes have begun.
                          Get in this Saturday and get your fill. Terrible SE wind that throws plan B into action.

Download the "My Texas Hunt Harvest" app and use the eOSR (On-site Registration). The green trucks will be out this weekend. Don't forget.
                          Nice! The app has definitely made it easier for me checking in and out.

Comment

Interesting, how busy is It during the week? Semi retired now so may check it out when it is not as a busy.

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                              Interesting, how busy is It during the week? Semi retired now so may check it out when it is not as a busy.
                              It is less busy during the week. That's going to be your best bet. If I were in your position that is when I would be going. Plus you get more days to pick from depending on wind direction etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X