No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2011-2012 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TG- glad to hear you made it out...hope your travels were fruitful for season. You may go see the DR. as sometimes the heat exhaustion can cause delayed problems. keep lots of fluids moving thru!

Clear & Copious!

Safe hunting, Thursday everyone.

Comment

I'm headed for COE office on Thursday afternoon, hopefully I'll get inside the building before they close! Would enjoy meetin' some fellow TBH's if you're going to get ur permit too.

Comment

I knew I'd be OK. Like I said, this wasn't my first rodeo . It is important to know the signs and read what your body is doing. Should have seen me finish Buffalo Springs 1/2 Ironman in Lubbock in late June 1999 and June 2000 . The 13.1 mile run was a killer in the mid day heat along the shore line, and then up on the open flat only to run back to where you came from. Most folk went to the med tent to get a free bag or two of IV right after the run. I went to the lake to cool off. Got my core temp back down quick, and got minor cramps when i did it in 2000 . Took me longer to recover than the IV baggers though. They were up and feeling good again in 30 minutes . I still made the awards ceremony that same evening at 4:30 .

First time I ever got dehydrated was in 1996 after doing the Peach Pedal in Weatherford in June. I had severe problems with cramps that day. The high temps that day were only 93-94. But the humidity was very high and no wind. After the ride I walked around the square with some friends feeling rather "odd" while drinking what I could. I didn't even know it till I got in my van and turned on the A/C driving home. Then I realized why a felt so funny, and had cramps earlier .

This is just something all endurance athletes encounter, of some sort, if they do it for a while. Experience and knowledge are key elements in avoiding a situation. "Don't loose your cool" has many meanings.

After all these years, maybe I've been in the sun to much
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM.

Comment

#81 Thursday afternoon. Not sure why they have us coming into the office though....

Thought I would get a 'talking to' but nothing....filled out small form, signed waiver, done....

Les

Comment

Originally posted by lgc999 View Post
            #81 Thursday afternoon. Not sure why they have us coming into the office though....

Thought I would get a 'talking to' but nothing....filled out small form, signed waiver, done....

Les
            Maybe they are lonely and needed the fellowship to liven up the place.

If bow hunting on public property was known for attracting lots of single,hot(not temperature related), female hunters, I'd have to try and get a job at the COE office.
            Last edited by 12 point; 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Well that ain't happining around here. The good look gals done took off to new country.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
                Sweet!
                This shoot will be a little more challenging but youths get closer stakes to shoot from so you'll be fine.
                Still better bring your A game if you plan on shooting at the far stakes with BowMania. Lol

Oh, that hurt. lol

Comment

Originally posted by bowmania View Post
                  Oh, that hurt. lol
                  That was suppose to be a compliment. Lol

Comment

Hey mac when was the shoot?

Comment

It's Sept. 10th and 11th
                      You haven't missed it
                      You wanna go?

Comment

I'm thinkin I just might have to redeem myself from the last one.

Comment

If I just had the extra $$, I would seriously consider buying a certain acreage outside of Whitney. Had originally wanted it to put cattle on, but it's just too risky for several reasons. The realestate agent has been talking to me about it for about two years now. There's been some decent deer taken on it.

I tried to walk the entire property one time, but ran out of water and it was really hot that day. Made sure that I had permission to walk across the land.

Had to sit in the shade a while before attempting to make it back to my truck. If I could buy the land, it would be in my favor to let some of y'all hunt and scout it. Would probably deter some of the trespassers that have hunted without permission on it. Was wondering how I'd stop some people with ATV's from continuing to cause some erosion on the hilly areas. Would cost some mucho dollars to put up pipe fencing or some kind of fencing to discourage trespassing. I first got interested in the place about 10 or 11 years ago, but it wasn't for sale then. If I allowed someone else to put cattle on it, I could get the taxes reduced.

Not sure I'd want to allow rifle hunting, since there are some houses near on the North side of the property. If only I could afford to buy it. I bet the owner would sell it for what he paid, since I'm the only one that has inquired about it since it was put up for sale again.

Comment

Originally posted by HillCountyDude View Post
                            Well, if it stays this hot, maybe a person could get away with just camo body paint and maybe a hat. But that's only if no one else is around.

No, I wouldn't be the type to try that.

I am planning on wearing a jock strap and leafy suit on opening day

Originally posted by schrammdog View Post
                            I'm headed for COE office on Thursday afternoon, hopefully I'll get inside the building before they close! Would enjoy meetin' some fellow TBH's if you're going to get ur permit too.

Good to see you Gene. Good luck with the dove birds.

I got #162 today at lunch

Comment

that might keep the deer away do to a fashion staement!

Comment

3 of us must have been right in front of you we got 159 160 161. The gal there said last year at this time they were way over a 1000
                                Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X