• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmyHunter68 View Post
    hows the hog hunting?
    Matt is the subject matter expert on that one, LOL..or Rey

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
      Matt is the subject matter expert on that one, LOL..or Rey
      I try been slow with the drought but in the spring hog hunting is top notch

Comment

Well....I am homeward bound for R&R. I will be back in the Hood in a couple of days. Gonna be a busy schedule on leave, but I have the stands and feeders to check on, so I'll be out and about. Hope to run into some of y'all out there. Who knows, i may even see if I can stick me another hog while I am home. Kinda itching to put something to sleep.

Comment

Good to hear from all on here, welcome aboard Armyhunter68, if your talking turkey I can sure help ya with both fall and spring turkey, some say I have a mental issue with the birds and well maybe I do. but when I get back in Dec, I can sure help you out. As all said above Matt is the hog guru along with Rey. There are alot of good folks here for sure. I cant wait to get back and slam few deer and birds in DEC.

TX good to see you on the R&R bird back home, yep sounds like you got a busy schedule for sure.

Matt the last bone pics is that close to where you had the 20ft ladder last year, that sure was a sweet spot or is it just down the road a few hundred...

Comment

ok cool, i cant wait to get back to hood, hopefully in about 20 days or so. i got a tree climbing stand, am i allowed to use those on hood? birdranger, i can sure use all the help i can get lol. anybody know of any good videos about field dressing deer, turkey or hog? i have never done it before and only thing i have done was read books on it, but i am a mechanic, i am a hands on person. i learn from doing.

Comment

AH68, I haven't been out in many areas. The areas I have been out in, there aren't alot of trees for a climber. There might be a few. I think your best bet would be a ladder stand. It took me a while to find a tree to put my lock on in. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
                AH68, I haven't been out in many areas. The areas I have been out in, there aren't alot of trees for a climber. There might be a few. I think your best bet would be a ladder stand. It took me a while to find a tree to put my lock on in. Good luck.
                Agreed. All I own are 15' ladder stands and if there is an area that you really want to hunt you may have to search hard to find a good tree for a ladder that you won't have to do a lot of limb cutting. I have a spot I want to hunt this year but there are no good trees for my ladder stand. So, I purchased a pop-up blind that I am gonna try. I do not have much experience (I only hunted out of a pop-up once) but I am willing to try it. My only fear is snakes and spiders and other creatures being able to get in my pop-up. I don't believe anyone has created a product to prevent that.

P.S. I also just throw corn on the ground. It's not the best idea because there are cows in almost all of the areas but hand fed corn is quiet. I do have a couple of the small 5 gallon hanging feeders but last year I found 1 of my motors laying on the ground. I don't know how that happened.

Comment

No bucks yet...alot of doe though..which will bring them
                  Attached Files

Comment

ah68 there are tons of info on the web about field dressing game, ya got time read up on it, good idea is surgical gloves in your kit. When I get back I can show ya a few tricks that I learned the hard way about birds but they work everywhere.

Comment

Nice pics James, gonna be a good early season for you with some meat in the freezer..

Comment

cool i will look forward to that, i appreciate the help

Comment

Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
                          Nice pics James, gonna be a good early season for you with some meat in the freezer..

Thanks brother...wishing I could send some of the rain down to Texas though.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
                            Agreed. All I own are 15' ladder stands and if there is an area that you really want to hunt you may have to search hard to find a good tree for a ladder that you won't have to do a lot of limb cutting. I have a spot I want to hunt this year but there are no good trees for my ladder stand. So, I purchased a pop-up blind that I am gonna try. I do not have much experience (I only hunted out of a pop-up once) but I am willing to try it. My only fear is snakes and spiders and other creatures being able to get in my pop-up. I don't believe anyone has created a product to prevent that.

P.S. I also just throw corn on the ground. It's not the best idea because there are cows in almost all of the areas but hand fed corn is quiet. I do have a couple of the small 5 gallon hanging feeders but last year I found 1 of my motors laying on the ground. I don't know how that happened.
                            I think a pop-up would be the way to go. I found alot of places to stick a pop-up. I got one that I am thinking about putting out for a 2nd set up. As I said, I have only looked at a few areas, but it was slim pickin for a stand. And when I would find a good spot to stick one, there was already one there. There are places out there, just got to get out and find them.

Comment

are you talking about the little pop camo tents you sit in? ok noob question, you are required to have 400sq in of orange when on fort hood right? how are you allowed to be in a blind, or is the rule just for when you are moving through the woods?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyHunter68 View Post
                                are you talking about the little pop camo tents you sit in? ok noob question, you are required to have 400sq in of orange when on fort hood right? how are you allowed to be in a blind, or is the rule just for when you are moving through the woods?
                                Archery season no....General season you must ware at least 400" of orange at all times while gun hunting....Archery hunters only have to ware it to and from your stand

Comment

Working...
                                X