• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beat me to it...

Comment

Tele-trac not area access.##

Comment

I already know the area I am going to set up and it will be a quick in and out. So unless I find someone there I promise not to contribute to any bucks going nocturnal any more than they will on their own I am going to be working around Hood until Jan or Feb so I will be able to hunt all most every morning during the week (but I won't). No evening hunts or weekends I will be back in Houston with Momma and the kids. My usual season in reverse. Should make for a good year. I don't intend on checking my cameras until I am on my way out on opening day, but I will share any info I get then.
        Last edited by Huntjunkie; 08-30-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Finaly got the feeders filled and everything going. Saw 35 deer while out filling feeders so we shall see. Probably eat all the tags but my doe. For post just has to be the right one.

Comment

Any rules on putting a pen around a feeder? trying to keep the cows out.

Comment

Thanks for that correction. No idea why I was thinking it used to be 115.

Comment

Got a few pigs coming into one of my areas Hope they bring more with i would like to get a chance at a Nice fat young one for eating, and a boar and sow each!! Might have to hunt at night for them but i know where they are coming from so might be able to get alittle closer to em.

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
                  Saw 3 out of velvet this morning in salado
                  Shinny Top"?

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                    Shinny Top"?
                    Golf course

Comment

Any tips on hunting 105? Just looking to kill a hog before I leave in Feb. Got a pig pipe but haven't found anywhere too special to throw it out. Had a spot in 63 with some nice bucks and does but only 1 boar so I'm branching out.

Comment

finally have some piggies coming in.

Comment

Has anyone had luck hunting hogs on here? If so whats the best approach at getting one on the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by klbriggs View Post
                            Has anyone had luck hunting hogs on here? If so whats the best approach at getting one on the ground?
                            Find good cover areas with lots of water. Put your time out there and be ready! I like using soured corn for hogs.

Comment

I have been hunting hood since 09 have shot one pig since I have been here but was never really targeting them. This year I really wanted to get on some for myself and I have a few good friends coming down to hunt so would like them to get a chance at an animal they would never be able to back home in MI. About a week ago I put up two spots for hogs buried some soured corn and put some hog attractant powder in my feeders the pigs showed up within 36 hours at both spots so as long as I can get on them before the trapper does I should be ok!

Comment

Well, I've been busted up for a few months so can't really speak to anything in the past 6 months or so. Hard to hunt with a bad right shoulder (unless you happen to be left handed).

This is just my oppinion, for what it's worth.

The biggest mistake folks make about hunting hogs on Hood is they think it's easy. It ain't! You need to put in your time. Lot's of it. Unless you move in on a set somebody else has spent weeks/months developing. There's no guarantee that will work either. Or, you can just get lucky. Matt's probably killed more pigs than anybody but the trapper and he's probable spent more time in the woods than the trapper has. It just takes time and patience.

I've spent hundreds of hours (yup ... hundreds) in the woods. Baiting feeders, watching cameras, and just scouting around. I think I've killed 5 pigs in three years (well 2 1/2 forgot about the shoulder deal).

Pigs are not dumb. If anything they are smarter than deer by a long ways.

Somebody mentions a hog pipe ... my experience with them is that they are cattle and raccoon pipes. The cattle and coons work them over pretty well. Just a feeder works better, once you figure how to coon proof it. Keeping the cattle away is another story. An added bonus is the corn seems to attract the turkeys.

Comment

Working...
                                X