Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randal View Post
    hope it isnt shot out by then.. usually goes quick..
    Yup, but that's o.k. It's something I expect and one of the reasons I don't really put much emphasis on the area. It used to be one of my favorites 3 or 4 years ago, but the pressure has gotten EXTREME in it the last couple years (23 also, not as bad as 115, but close).

I just wish there was a way to make those areas more equitable for the part time/occasional hunter. There is, but not sure I'd be happy with all areas on Hood being guided either. So, for the most part, I just stay out of the way and take the leavings, whatever they may be. I'm good with that. Shot more than my share of deer in my life so other than meat in the freezer doesn't really matter. I just look at my license fee as a donation to Hood hunting. If I get something in return, it's a bonus.

Gonna give it heck come Monday though.

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
      Yup, but that's o.k. It's something I expect and one of the reasons I don't really put much emphasis on the area. It used to be one of my favorites 3 or 4 years ago, but the pressure has gotten EXTREME in it the last couple years (23 also, not as bad as 115, but close).

I just wish there was a way to make those areas more equitable for the part time/occasional hunter. There is, but not sure I'd be happy with all areas on Hood being guided either. So, for the most part, I just stay out of the way and take the leavings, whatever they may be. I'm good with that. Shot more than my share of deer in my life so other than meat in the freezer doesn't really matter. I just look at my license fee as a donation to Hood hunting. If I get something in return, it's a bonus.

Gonna give it heck come Monday though.
      Wait till ya see next years map areas are supposed to renumber next year

Comment

Gl too all this weekend may your arros fly true

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
          Wait till ya see next years map areas are supposed to renumber next year
          Oh No! Not again! I was just getting used to the 6, 7 numberings to 23 and 115. There's still old stands in 23 and 115 with 6 and 7 markings on them. Not to mention one old one that somebody apparently got lost and thought it was in 7, when the 6 folks placed a notice on it saying it was in area 6. Sounds funny today, but in the days before gps it wasn't that hard to miss by a few yards.

Comment

Whens the quota coming out?. I'm hoping tomorrow so we can see what we have to work with...

Comment

Has anyone heard if the south east region is going to open or not?

Comment

No quota yet

Comment

do you guys ever mix your corn with Pig Out?
                  I'm trying it around my stand says its supposed to attract deer too. Pig or Deer im an equal opportunity arrow slinger

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

whata joke...ranges shut down for a bike race???every military instillation ive ever hunted had road restricition notices for events just like these..... It reads like this
                    " Bike race utilizing west range road...hunters wanting to access areas ***x have to use 116, shell mtn., ect"
                    what is the problem with management?

Comment

Like I said its going to be a rough opening weekend more than half of post closed to hunting most my spots are in that group and the ones that aint are going to have 20+ people trying to get into them. But I will hope for the best and see how things go tomorrow @ 1600 Good luck everyone and hope one of us puts a big boy down this weekend! Here we go!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordyanimal View Post
                        whata joke...ranges shut down for a bike race???every military instillation ive ever hunted had road restricition notices for events just like these..... It reads like this
                        " Bike race utilizing west range road...hunters wanting to access areas ***x have to use 116, shell mtn., ect"
                        what is the problem with management?
                        As I recall it happened last year too. It's just a matter of priorities. The bike thing is a one time deal and hunting goes on for awhile. Do I agree with it? Of course not. It is what it is. Being military sponsored events (bike race/hunting) the priorities are what they are. Our only options are ...... hmmm .... realistically we have none. So, we take what we are given and be glad we aren't paying for a lease someplace. Sucks, but it is what it is, and better than not having a hunting opportunity at all.

Comment

Did they open the south east region?

Comment

Originally posted by 1poorboy View Post
                            Did they open the south east region?
                            If past experience means anything ....Late Friday is when we will know. After three years of shut down my assumption is that they will open it up. What the quota will be is anybody's guess.

Comment

I thought the quota was supposed to come out today?

Comment

Dunno ... In the past it has usually been the day before opening. I have no idea what the reasoning is behind that logic, but it's what it has historically been. Just one of several reasons why having more than one area planned is a good move.

Comment

Working...
                                X