No announcement yet.

Somerville WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiki, I'll tell you I am new to public land hunting and am just as concerned about it as you are. I was out there from the 8-9th and was trying to figure out how to not disturb anyone. Surprisingly, never saw a vehicle at any of the entry points except #1 and he only came in around 10 to scout on Fri morning. I really didn't have the time to make it out there early on to scout so I think that put myself or anyone who did at a disadvantage. Seems there's gotta be better way to not stumble over each other. Maybe as simple as putting a map on the board with your route and stand marked? I know most want to keep the secrets, but hell if you don't say where you are it would be hard to expect someone not stumbling upon you, espescially in the am. I actually kept track of your posts, others activity, and maps and started out at #4 thinking there would be plently of room. Nails definately looked more promising and hit that Friday am. End result, didn't see a single deer either day in the units, wind was strong so thought that would help but not, and saw tons of does and only two small bucks at rocky creek park that would be in the regs. fun nonetheless. Oh yeah, grass in # 4 is a ...... and found a newer stalker extreme with what looked to be a rage mech stuck nearly vertical in the ground that I couldn;t see coming from any nearby tree. Still there if owner wants it back.

Keith

Comment

Keith
      That is the reason I always try and wait till 10:00 am to move . I haven't had the problem of people walking up on me this year. Only a little traffic on road other side of fence. As I have said in the past " that is public hunting".
      Wiki,
      Trey and I are going to try and make it Thursday , Friday and Saturday if we don't get either washed out or blown outa the trees. LOL

Comment

Keith bumping into each other is going to apper. I try not to worry about it to much. I just think between daylight and 9:30ish everyone should stay in there stand. But it's not going to happen. Sounds like you are on some deer. I passed on a border line 8 this past saturday morning. The hunting I think gets better in Dec. and there is alot less traffic.

Tommy see you this weeek end. Good LucK!

Comment

I didn't see any deer in the wma, only in the corps parks. What time are you guys getting in your stands? I think it is a fun and challenging way to hunt, but really need to put some time in to do any good. I'll be lucky if I can get another 3-4 days out there this season but next year should be that much easier. My wife and kids really enjoyed the park area as well so it looks like a spring break trip will also help.

Comment

It was only my 2nd day bowhunting this year. But I gotta say any of ya'll that didn't hunt this week missed out. They were rutting heavy. I stuck a nice buck at Nails Tuesday 9 am. Single lung hit. He ran 200 yards thru brush & crossed a fence. With the landowners permission, my dad and me & two park rangers started helping us look for him about 1 pm. The buck crossed another fence, dropped the arrow, ran another 100 yards, crossed another fence and we lost him in a creek bottom. With four of us looking we gave up about 5 pm

I didn't count points, but I'd say he was a decent legal 16-18" 8 point, and one tough S.O.B. I'd sure like to have that one back.

Comment

Sorry to hear it.

Comment

Is the grass cut at nails or is it still waist high?

Comment

Man Cal sorry to hear. I kinda guessed the rut would be starting, if not on the verge already. It seems to be getting later and later every year.

The grass is chest high in the open places where I hunt/walk though on the Nails Creek side. Not sure about Yegua.

Comment

I got a family place I hunt 11 miles out of Caldwell and Deer are all over my trail cameras mostly at night. This year I have three hunts in and have yet to produce a shooter from there due to all the acorns and grass. December should be better and probably the same for that area as well. Oh yea, have done a little Copperhead killing as well on our place. Must have been all the rain this year. Hunted with a friend south of Canyon Lake and put the whack on three in two days with a big boy going to see the Taxidermist. This makes hunting at my place a little easier.

Comment

Cal,
                      Sorry to hear about your loss. I hunted out there yesterday and today. Saw a decent deer yesterday at about 60 yards moving parallel to the creek. Way to far when you are 25 foot off the ground and limit your shots to 25 yards. I saw a pig 15-20 lb this morning shot under it. Oh well. I was also up there last Friday (after Thankgiving) had the fletching come off an arrow on a pretty nice deer. I guess that is why the call it hunting not killing . LOL Are ya'll hunting off the 1697 side of Nails creek? Maybe we will run into ya'll sometimes . I drive a '04 silverado with bed cover and TBH sticker dead center of the back glass.
                      Tommy

Comment

Hunted up there this morning and found a ladder stand just off a trail. Sat in it and saw about a 180 class 12....thanks Wiki!!!

Just kidding...sat in my usual spot, windy as heck, and had a couple passing showers. Saw 2 squirrels, no deer and no hogs. Be back Friday depending on the weather.

Comment

Trey I seen that ladder but I don't think that one is mine. It does look like it's in a good spot. I sat this morong till 8:45. I did not even see a squirrel.

Comment

Kornsqueezer & the other regulars,
                            I drive a '04 white chevy dually with green Vermeer stickers. This is my third season out there and I just heard about this forum. I have a couple spots but that morning I hunted at Nails off 125 the north end. I stuck that deer only a few hundred yards from the parking lot. I was more scouting than hunting. I stopped to sit under a big tree, set by bow down and then looked up as a doe just about jumped in my lap. The buck that was chasing her stopped 15yds away and saw me & froze long enough to get a shot off.

I didn't know it at the time but I shot that buck about 40 yards from a ladder stand with an orange strap. Sorry if that was the buck one of ya'll was after.

I'm glad I found this site & I'm looking forward to comparing notes with ya'll other guys about Somerville.

Cal

Comment

Dang Mike I thought that was yours, I've noticed that ladder out there a couple times. You're right its in a pretty good looking spot. These deer (most of them) have me guessing out there this year, but I'm sure it'll work out.

Cal, I drive the same color truck Kornsqueezer does, except mine's a 2000 model Silverado. That's funny about shooting that buck right by the parking lot. In past years I've seen some really good deer right outside the parking lot. A couple years ago a guy shot a 135 class 200 lb 8 point right outside the parking lot on the Yegua side (unit 8 I believe). First come first serve is what I say on public hunting, so no need to apologize for shooting a nice buck, there are plenty of deer out there....wait a minute there are no deer at Somerville ....hogs either!!!

Comment

Cal that is my ladder stand. I had been seeing an 8 that I drew on but I could just not garuntee he was past his ears. If you are saying 16 to 18 inches not him for sure. Have you been hanging the orange tape? I am with Trey no hard feeling at all. Just wish you would have gotten a recovery.
                                Trey I too have not been seeing the numbers of deer that I normally see. But I have not been logging many hours either. I have not been out for an evening hunt since Oct. Up untill Saturday morning everything I seen was bucks. I leave next Saturday for BAO so I am hoping on at least a doe. I get back from there on Weds. Depending on the outcome there I am plan on spending some time on stand out there a couple days.

Comment

Working...
                                X