No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2010-2011 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen quite the number of them over the years, rattlers, cotton mouths, but only 1 copper head. And the rattlers do swim there . Some areas have more than others. Course there are a few areas that they have regular dens in them every year . And there are some areas are almost completely free of them. Most of the rattlers are smaller ones there. I once stepped over a small downfall while pourig out corn back in the 1990s, only to have a small head poke out 3" from my left heal. I had rubber boots on as usual. So I brought my right foot over, then just stepped straight away. I moved down the dead fall a little and turned it over. It was a 1 button rattler that had just swallowed a small frog or cricket . Pretty lil thing! Gald he was full . I've worn tennis shoes most of the time when I don't have rubber boots on. Just ask someone who's been with me. I did buy a pair of snake boots today, my first pair ever! But they won't be worn come deer season . Only before the deer season.

The rules and regs did state last year, that no snakes are to be harmed . Only game animals and gamebirds of sorts. So I just leave-em lay now. I really ain't intrested in rattlers unless they are +3 foot anyway . Less than that and they are almost to small to eat, to many small bones .

Comment

I'm not one to kill a snake just because i see it, now if it bites me at least one of us is goin to die.

Comment

Used a day of vacation yesterday and drove down with my lil girl to get my permit. Drove her around and we saw some roadrunners and a few deer but all she really wanted to see was a hog. Best part of the day was getting ice cream and a lil place off FM 933 called the "sweet spot"(i think). Man was that good. Chocolate Peanut Butter Malt sure hit the spot. Wildlife, ice cream and my lil girl made for a great birthday.

Comment

Oh and I wear snake boots all the time down there. Only seen one snake down there but just watch your feet and you're fine. Heard about a guy getting bit while dove hunting a few years back by Plowman Creek Park. Not sure what kind it was though.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            The rules and regs did state last year, that no snakes are to be harmed .
            Really? Just as I was getting all excited about eating some rattlesnakes.

Grizzl probably talked 'em into that rule. He's not big on killing snakes, you know.

Comment

you also have the lbj caddo national grasslands in decator.i will be hunting there this year,becaus unfortanatly i wont be able to hunt at whitney this year.i have been blocked this year because i forgot to turn in a hunter sucess report.Im so kicking myself in the butt!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Check out the tpwd public land. you can access the mapss online. Lots of land, not too far off. It might make do for us who are learnin a lesson this year.

Comment

does
                  anyone no some good spots on aquilla for some hogs

Comment

I just got snake boots but only because they are wAterproof. I had 2 big copperheads cruise past me one evening on aquilla

Comment

Originally posted by buckshot179 View Post
                      does
                      anyone no some good spots on aquilla for some hogs
                      Well....Welcome, and there are suposedly hogs at aquilla. You just have to go and look around. The hogs I've come across there are worse than gypsies...There is no pattern to where they go. Just get out there and scout, scout, scout.

Comment

yep the hogs come and go on aquilla. ive only taken one out there.

Comment

hey fellow whitney/aquilla hunters those of us left anyway!! what are the chances of a game camera getting stolen , damaged or taken out there?

Comment

Welcome buckshot179. Lotta good info and good folks on here. Best thing to do is get out there and start stomping the weeds and brush. Public land hunting is hard earned work for most (but the rewards from it leave a person feel-n pretty awesome!) And info given out could easily lead to a place being over hunted. Those are words of experience. I once had a honey hole at LBJ. I took a young feller there a couple of times. Then there were a few times I couldn't go. So he took a friend of his. And the cycle began again. Pretty soon, the place was full of hunters in about two years time. It was not a very large place. Over the next 5 years it got raped pretty bad. I pulled my biggest buck to date from there. Wish I'd never opened my mouth now. Hope you can understand.

Originally posted by hand grenade View Post
                            yep the hogs come and go on aquilla. ive only taken one out there.
                            I think I remember a pic . That was a couple of years ago wasn't it HG?

Originally posted by txbowcm View Post
                            hey fellow whitney/aquilla hunters those of us left anyway!! what are the chances of a game camera getting stolen , damaged or taken out there?
                            I wouldn't do it, especially this close to the deer season. Lotta people will be out scouting this weekend and through Sept. If the rangers find it, they will confiscate it as abandoned property per ACE rules. Same as tree stands being left out. But if ya wanna take that chance, I can't stop ya. Just be sure to let us all know what ya find on the cam .
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-29-2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Hard headed freind of mine said he was gonna get a permit, he was gonna go down and personally talk to the director. I told him it was a waist of time. I waited in the truck while he tried to talk his way into a permit. He came out with frown, and a tear. No Notta, No way Josie! director told him no, absolutely no exceptions. Ha! he's learnin a leason too. Guess he'll be fishin aquilla this fall too.

Comment

anyone seen any sign of teal moving this way

Comment

Working...
                                X