deer pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
    there is a black spot on the top of the inside of the upper left ear on the 3 and 4 year old pics... It's there both years... but not on the 2 year old year...
    Wow, excellent observation. Is it possible for such a marking to appear on an animal as they mature?

Comment

Originally posted by DBHIII View Post
      Wow, excellent observation. Is it possible for such a marking to appear on an animal as they mature?
      anything is possible, but that is the most distinct difference. I still could be wrong. They made their decision on field observation not photos.

I've personally called a deer the same between 2 years and then have the real one show up and change my mind.... Or have someone point it out. Wheni look at deer sometimes I get blinders on...

Comment

awesome bucks

Comment

Great thread. You always have awesome pictures!

Comment

Trail cameras

man nice deer , them trail cameras are awesome equipment to have out in the feild.

Comment

I'll share

My uncles ranch in Freer.
              Attached Files

Comment

nice buck

Comment

he lived to see another season....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Gunther; 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Wow. Love those drops. You get to hunt that uncle's ranch?

Gunther, is the 3 and beam on the left broken on that rascal?

Ear marks and throat patches and general color and facial characteristics are all great tools in IDing deer. The young deer doesn't have the black mark, but I don't know how good they are in IDing deer year to year. I don't know what causes edge blackening. Is it rubbing of the ear on the horns or an injury in the brush? I know tooth tears and nothches are great IDers. Once there, they're always there. If a deer has a notched ear this year, it'll be there next year. It's how we knew that MLD went from a 163ish deer to a 226.

Here's an example. This deer has had the notch on his right ear since our first encounter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghosst notch ear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	23873077

The next year, he added a black spot on the top of the left ear and an additional notch.

Name:	ghost 07 2.JPG
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	23873078

The notch allow us to know it's him even when he sheds his horns.

Name:	ghost antlerless.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	23873079

Here he is this year. I have to crop off the horns to stay out of trouble, but you can see that he has the notches, but the black spot is gone.

Name:	crop horns.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	23873083

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
                      Wow. Love those drops. You get to hunt that uncle's ranch?

Ear marks and throat patches and general color and facial characteristics are all great tools in IDing deer. The young deer doesn't have the black mark, but I don't know how good they are in IDing deer year to year. I don't know what causes edge blackening. Is it rubbing of the ear on the horns or an injury in the brush? I know tooth tears and nothches are great IDers. Once there, they're always there. If a deer has a notched ear this year, it'll be there next year. It's how we knew that MLD went from a 163ish deer to a 226.

Here's an example. This deer has had the notch on his right ear since our first encounter.

[ATTACH]81380[/ATTACH]

The next year, he added a black spot on the top of the left ear and an additional notch.

[ATTACH]81381[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]81382[/ATTACH]

Here he is this year. I have to crop off the horns to stay out of trouble, but you can see that he has the notches, but the black spot is gone.

[ATTACH]81390[/ATTACH]
                      Yeah tears etc all always there for sure... color variations/blotches etc can go away..

Ear edge coloring(like the tips and rims) generally stays the same but can fade or darken due to color/light condition of picture...

Through 5 years of life... eartips always have black/brown on them and a ring around the inside of the ear...

Comment

wow encinal, heck of a deer. can you share the score with us

and tuthdoc awesome pics of great deer.

Comment

like 229 and change or something... i have other examples of those ear marks, but since we paid a lot of attention to that deer a 5 year history was most easily accessible by using him. I really wonder what he looked like at 3. My picture records only start to be in depth in 02-03.

Comment

[QUOTE=tuthdoc;1287689]Wow. Love those drops. You get to hunt that uncle's ranch?

QUOTE]

Could this be Ghost?

Comment

Encinal, I have had that 3rd picture as my laptop background ever since I found it on your website, I like that picture a lot. The twins are on my other computer

Comment

hehe cool deal... I updated my profile and put a bunch of pictures in the new album feature of some deer from the ranch over the years

Comment

Working...
                                X