Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Mary(and other Kingwood folks), some food for thought... In the big rain event in '94 there was no hurricane, just a big rain event caused serious flooding on the San Jacinto River drainage... Kingwood high gym had 3 feet of water in it... Some houses in Mills Branch flooded.... West Lake Houston Parkway was completely inundated. Water went over the guard rails on the 59 bridge... In 2001, with the big flood, it was a lesser rain event, yet many of the same areas flooded worse... back then, that big area where Costco in Humble is now was low lands and marsh... The big gated community that is in River Grove Park area was also just marsh drainage... All the development along Mills Branch and Ford roads was not there back then... The drainage has been seriously diminished since we had a bad storm... Ike did not bring that much rain... yet, Kingwood was seriously damaged by wind with fallen trees, and 3 weeks of no power...

After reading Johnny's post, he said what I was thinking... IF the hype comes true, The rain AND wind Driven with a long duration event, could inundate area of Kingwood that have NEVER flooded. Plus, with the watershed in deteriorated shape from silting and all the development in and around the Kingwood area... You might want to consider GETTING OUT!!

I'm gonna try to get my daughter/son-in-law/grandsons to leave... They've never had a problem other than no power during storms, just regular old garden variety rain/thunder storms... Out here on the prairie we might get lots of rain, but it will run off pretty quick... I hope they will come on out...

Good luck to y'all!

I've seen pics of the 94 flood, and it is pretty scary. I am definitely neck deep in wishful thinking and will continue to watch things closely in case we need to roll. Our street has never accumulated water since we've lived here, but I am in no way cavalier about that.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
      Howdy neighbor!

This afternoon at 4 I drove up Mills Branch to Porter looking for gas and propane. Had to go all the way to New Caney for gas and struck out on propane. Took over an hour to get home. I am not aware of any evacuations starting from areas this far East or north, but folks are already jamming up the roads. San Antonio is going to be super jacked up just from the people evacuating CC, and I think just about everywhere south of Livingston across to Waco to Llano will be too.
      I lived at 59 and Weslayan when Ike hit....I left for Dallas and it took forever and there were cars stalled everywhere. That is what I am afraid of tomorrow. I have a full tank of gas so no worries there (I headed the TBH warnings early and beat the lines ), but getting stranded somewhere on the road with me is one thing, having mom in the car brings my stress level way up. I'm going to go to work in the morning, look at all the new reports, and figure out my strategy at that point. Tonight, my head is stuck comfortably in the sand.

Comment

We had planned to ride it out since we evacuated kids to seguin but looks like we are heading to seguin in the morning. Hope everything's ok when we get back but if not so be it. We will rebuild or move. Still a lot of people here in Rockport.

Comment

By the way...my neighborhood FB page says that HEB got more gas tonight, if you need more.

Comment

People in college station are even going crazy. Tried to go grocery shopping and get some stuff since my parents are coming here to get out of league city and HEB was insane. No water,bread,peanut butter and very little meats/fruit/veggies.

Comment

Curious, does anyone know the size of this storm as far as miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                People in college station are even going crazy. Tried to go grocery shopping and get some stuff since my parents are coming here to get out of league city and HEB was insane. No water,bread,peanut butter and very little meats/fruit/veggies.
                Every college kids mom called them and told them to get supplies.

Comment

When's the next official update?

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                    You'd think there'd be plenty of food and that the beer shelves would be empty.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

And I guarantee you there is no beer or totinos left.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        And I guarantee you there is no beer or totinos left.

Haha. I did manage to stock up on some of that.

Comment

My mom could have called me and told me that when I was in college and it wouldnt have mattered......I never had enough money to stock up on anything. I had to live 6 pack to 6 pack back then.

Comment

All I did was say what a lot of y'all already knew. Its just one of them things we are just gonna have to put our heads down and get thru. Bring it.
                            Man I've seen them all that have hit Texas since Carla in 61.

Johnny this one has me bothered a little because of the amount of water that it may dump for days.

I'll be on the dirty side of it if it comes in south of POC but I'm hoping the winds won't be CAT 3 at my house.

Pretty concerned with my cabin northwest of Edna though but nothing I can do about that and it's insured.

Good luck everyone who is with us here on the coast.

Comment

KSAT 12 in San Antonio just showed a live Helicopter view looking south on IH-37 and Loop 410. Traffic moving northbound is bumper to bumper as far as you can see on IH-37.

Comment

Made a last second trip down to Freeport to get a few more things taken care after the rapid development this morning.

Harvey has been dealing with some internal issues(maybe a bit of dry air?) For the most of the evening. However, over the last hour he once again looks to be intesyfying, and recon is seeing that with pressures dropping and wind increasing.

Still looks to be on track to me, minus a wobble here and there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X