Spring/summer plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
    Your seed beds make my back feel a whole lot better just looking at them! I do no-till with a broadcaster, so I get to feel every hog divot
    They turned out good but I'm still sore from walking on ground that looked like post 208 in my thread. Those dirt clods are no joke after a few miles. I keep telling myself it is good for me. Not sure how much longer I'll listen to myself though. The little bit I have left I'm going to try the lazy way with my wife driving and me sitting on the tailgate of the gator running the spinner. Not sure how that will work but I know it will be easier on my body lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      I have ordered enough Sunn Hemp to plant 5 acres this year. I will do 1.5 acres in drought resistant soybeans and 1 acre of some sort of sunflower mix
      My navarro deer love sun hemp, I usually go with the spring plot mix and add more buck wheat, sun hemp and some grain sorghum and sunflowers

Comment

3.25 inches rain on my plots, should get a nice stand

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
          MBS Seed out of Denton used to have them. Havent planted spring plots in awhile so not sure if they still have them.
          I liked MBS selection too, there's a dealer for them in McKinney but MBS's seed was more expensive.

Comment

Looks like I will be waiting a while to plant. My plots are still producing a ton of usable forage. The crimson clover is starting to flower pretty good and the arrowleaf is coming along very well. Oats are starting to seed, but cereal rye has not put on seed heads yet.
            Attached Files

Comment

That crimson looks great, bet you have some happy bees. It's interesting because some of your rye is headed out, but the great majority isn't. How heavy is your deer utilization?

Great looking plot

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                That crimson looks great, bet you have some happy bees. It's interesting because some of your rye is headed out, but the great majority isn't. How heavy is your deer utilization?

Great looking plot
                Thanks! Yes, bees are definitely not hurting for flowers to work on right now. I have actually considered trying to find a local bee guy so that I can get some honey, but haven't followed that very hard.

Good question on the utilization. Last time I was there I had quite the differential between my exclosure pens and the pasture (maybe 8 inches of difference), but the pigs decided that knocking over and moving every exclosure I had was the thing to do, so now I don't have a good measurement to go off of. I can say that nearly every day there are 5-10 and even more deer that frequent these specific plots.

Comment

That plot looks awesome EastTexun!

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
                    That plot looks awesome EastTexun!
                    Thank you! It took several years of learning what and what not to do but all that perseverance is finally coming to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                      Thank you! It took several years of learning what and what not to do but all that perseverance is finally coming to fruition.

Good on you man, definitely paying off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have let tine get away from me, march and half of April have flown by. Haven’t even prepped my new plots yet. Got all my seed delivered last week but really need to get after it asap before the heat of summer hits and we get dry.

Comment

My Eagle forage soybeans and JointVetch is coming up nicely after last weeks 4inch rain

Comment

I plowed my oats under with a 3 bottom plow at 12 inches deep, then ran a disc over the plots and planted. No herbicide sprayed, trying to plow to suppress the weeds and build up the organic matter but I also know that plowing is hard on the soil structure. There seems to be more discussion on plowing again and using less herbicides in some ag articles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plot80.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	24710643

Name:	plot81.jpg
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	24710644

Comment

My seed mix this year was 350 pounds of IC peas, 50 pounds of Peredovich sunflower, 25 pounds of sunn hemp. I set my drill at 60 pounds per acre and adjusted the seed cups for medium seed size.

Name:	plot85.jpg
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	24710645

Name:	plot87.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	24710646

Comment

7 acres total this year.