• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
    I'd rather hunt the Midwest anyway [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then STFU and go hunt up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
      Well, I'm not too keen on being force- fed someone else's idea of deer management. And more restriction.

Keep those yankee notions out of Texas!
      You are being forced fed now just a different menu. If not there wouldn't be any season or limits. This is just changing the menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        Then STFU and go hunt up there.
        I do

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          You are being forced fed now just a different menu. If not there wouldn't be any season or limits. This is just changing the menu.
          Not really. I can rifle shoot a legal buck any time from November 1st to January 15th. Does & spikes two weeks longer. The antler restrictions in my opinion it is a good idea. Forcing everybody to change weapons is not.

Comment

Not really. I can rifle shoot a legal buck any time from November 1st to January 15th. Does & spikes two weeks longer. The antler restrictions in my opinion it is a good idea. Forcing everybody to change weapons is not.
            Someone gets it.

Comment

Quite right. The notion of shortening rifle season to force people to take up bowhunting is the most insanely SELFISH thing I think I've read on here.

Not forcing anybody to take up bowhunting. What I'm saying is only Antlered bucks from Thanksgiving thru Jan 1. From October till end of January doe and spikes with any legal weapon.

Comment

I really don't think you will see a significant drop. Statistics show the majority of deer are killed opening weekend of Rifle season, Thanksgiving Holidays and Christmas and New Years. Incorporate the Rifle season to include the Holidays you will cover probably 60-70% of deer killed in Texas. The hardcore hunters will go buy a bow and/or muzzleloader to fill the gap. As far as feed store loss it would be minimal if any. Most people don't hunt every weekend and those that do usually are places that are MLD and exempt.
                I see what you're saying, but still with even that 30-40% not getting killed you would have problems with population getting over grown, in some areas that might help but in others that would be bad. I'm for it but also wouldn't want it to be shortened, if it's shortened that would put more pressure on deer and make hunting even more crowded. And idk about the MLD and exempt statement, I believe a lot of people go every weekend either way across the state.

Comment

I really don't think you will see a significant drop. Statistics show the majority of deer are killed opening weekend of Rifle season, Thanksgiving Holidays and Christmas and New Years. Incorporate the Rifle season to include the Holidays you will cover probably 60-70% of deer killed in Texas. The hardcore hunters will go buy a bow and/or muzzleloader to fill the gap. As far as feed store loss it would be minimal if any. Most people don't hunt every weekend and those that do usually are places that are MLD and exempt.
                  I agree with this, but the original "suggestion" was to shorten gun season down to 2-3 weeks. Thanksgiving to Jan. 1 would be 5+ weeks. 2-3 weeks could not include both Thanksgiving and Christmas and would result in a much lower overall harvest.

Comment

Again not saying change weapons but limiting bucks for certain period.

Comment

Antler restrictions are working fine. There is absolutely zero reason to force people to use a bow during peak rut because some self-righteous purists think we need to be like Kansas or aomething.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                        I agree with this, but the original "suggestion" was to shorten gun season down to 2-3 weeks. Thanksgiving to Jan. 1 would be 5+ weeks. 2-3 weeks could not include both Thanksgiving and Christmas and would result in a much lower overall harvest.

My ideas came in as the conversation evolved

Comment

Not forcing anybody to take up bowhunting. What I'm saying is only Antlered bucks from Thanksgiving thru Jan 1. From October till end of January doe and spikes with any legal weapon.
                          **** that. You're effectively giving the middle finger to everyone who hunts east TX and would like to have a bona fide chance at a buck. You think there was a poaching problem before? Pull this and see what happens.

Comment

Antler restrictions are working fine. There is absolutely zero reason to force people to use a bow during peak rut because some self-righteous purists think we need to be like Kansas or aomething.
                            I'm not self-righteous or a purist. Just simply a suggestion. If you can't get it done with a rifle in 2-3 weeks, you're probably not going to get it done anyway. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                              How would it cost them money
                              No archery stamp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                                I see what you're saying, but still with even that 30-40% not getting killed you would have problems with population getting over grown, in some areas that might help but in others that would be bad. I'm for it but also wouldn't want it to be shortened, if it's shortened that would put more pressure on deer and make hunting even more crowded. And idk about the MLD and exempt statement, I believe a lot of people go every weekend either way across the state.
                                The reason I would exempt MLD they are on an approved management plant to improve the overall deer heard and habitat. As for filling that 30-40%, with my proposal the only thing you are restricting is when you can harvest antler bucks. You can still hunt does and spike with any weapon to fill your freezer.

Comment

Working...
                                X