Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Extending the season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess a problem could be that if you have gun hunters across the fence while you're trying to bow hunt, it could be discouraging and people may drop out of hunting. Tpwd would sell fewer tags, possibly. I don't know

Comment

Good question

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
      Is the archery or muzzleloader season ultimately necessary? I mean from a herd health standpoint. I can see having a weekend or even a week set aside for youth to encourage youth involvement, but I don't see any other special season as ultimately necessary.
      I was actually wondering if the Rifle season in between is necessary!:-)

Comment

In between what?
        And, I'm not advocating one way or another, just spitballing.

Comment

i doubt it. the extended season is part of the incentive for land owners to enter the MLD program in exchange for deer population data and habitat management practices

Comment

No way they would get rid of archery only. That would cost them money. They might add a muzzleloader stamp just like archery to make a little more money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bookend

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
              In between what?
              And, I'm not advocating one way or another, just spitballing.
              Rifle season is between muzzle and archery.

Comment

It'd be nice if they just had Jan. and Feb. as bow only. Most of our vegetation doesn't die off until mid Dec. most of the time and the late season would probably be productive at feeders/food plots.

Comment

I'd be all over it IF they limit the harvest. In other words, don't give everyone 5 months to kill 5 deer. It's bad enough hunting around ranchettes where everyone and their brother comes to get their limits every season. No need to give them more time to wipe out the entire herd.

That said, anyone advocating for lengthy periods of archery-only hunting seasons need to move to the Midwest.

Comment

The rumor to the story is that looking at things statewide we are over populated. I know in my area we definitely are not. I hunt on a little 100 acre place with the rest of my family next to a 50 acre place that they blast anything with fur. So believe me I know the hurt of the small land owner. I love bow hunting and enjoy bow season but I dont see how getting rid of bowseason will cost the state money. The number of guys that are that hardcore are few. And for everyone one of them you have at least one out of state guy that would love some early season action. So at worst I think its a wash for the state either way. But I think they will have to look real hard at the harvest limits. Cause they could fall real quick in some areas of the state. I think more people now a days are about horn hunting than meat hunting or conservation. So it could potentially put a dent in the big buck heards with extended seasons. With be all ends of the spectrum across the state. Just like with the 13" rule. Works in some areas and not in others.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                      Rifle season is between muzzle and archery.
                      Oh. I never paid attention to when muzzleloader season is.

Comment

I hope not....

This next season will be interesting with the big MLD changes to every small ranch in Texas who gets doe tags

Comment

Id like to see a extra month at the tail end of regular season. Even shorten gun season some.

Comment

Originally posted by rcm719 View Post
                            you watch your mouth, that's blasphemous!!

I'd be ok with a shorter rifle season if the time knocked off was added to bow season.
                            That's what I mean.

Make rifle season a 2-3 week season like a lot of other states, then back to archery and muzzleloader at the tail end or something.

I think Wisconsin has a 9 day rifle season. Then. Short Muzzleloader following. Wisconsin I'm pretty sure stands over any other state when it comes to B&C bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                              That's what I mean.

Make rifle season a 2-3 week season like a lot of other states, then back to archery and muzzleloader at the tail end or something.

I think Wisconsin has a 9 day rifle season. Then. Short Muzzleloader following. Wisconsin I'm pretty sure stands over any other state when it comes to B&C bucks.
                              Well hell I'm all for it then

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't mind having a month long gun season , Thanksgiving thru of December. And an extended season for Archery an muzzle loader to Last weekend of in January. Archery season start Oct 1st. Keep MLD properties as is. Landowners would probably get behind it as well.

As far as not harvesting enough deer I don't think it would have much affect. More people would take up hunting with muzzle loaders. Or another idea is to make buck season as mentioned above.
                                Last edited by BrandonA; 02-07-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X