Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
    That's what I mean.

Make rifle season a 2-3 week season like a lot of other states, then back to archery and muzzleloader at the tail end or something.

I think Wisconsin has a 9 day rifle season. Then. Short Muzzleloader following. Wisconsin I'm pretty sure stands over any other state when it comes to B&C bucks.
    Perfect. Let's do all we can to drive a large number of hunters OUT of the sport.

Comment

That's what I mean.

Make rifle season a 2-3 week season like a lot of other states, then back to archery and muzzleloader at the tail end or something.

I think Wisconsin has a 9 day rifle season. Then. Short Muzzleloader following. Wisconsin I'm pretty sure stands over any other state when it comes to B&C bucks.
      No way. No way to harvest enough animals to keep numbers in check in a 2-3 week season. Too many deer in Texas. And too much money involved to shorten the season. It will always encompass Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. And there are WAY more B&C quality deer killed in Texas than Wisconsin. They just don't qualify for the book cause most come from high fence ranches. Id bet there are more acres under high fence in Texas than most states have under low/no fence, so its really not a fair comparison

Comment

Personally, I would like to see doe tags issued to landowners in east texas and allow them to be used any time in general season. And I would like to see a Primitive Weapon season for the first two weeks in January that included archery and muzzleloader. Leave the rest of it alone.

Comment

How would it cost them money

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
          No way they would get rid of archery only. That would cost them money. They might add a muzzleloader stamp just like archery to make a little more money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            Perfect. Let's do all we can to drive a large number of hunters OUT of the sport.
            So I guess that's what these other states are doing? I think more people would adapt and take on to archery rather than just quit hunting.

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
            No way. No way to harvest enough animals to keep numbers in check in a 2-3 week season. Too many deer in Texas. And too much money involved to shorten the season. It will always encompass Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. And there are WAY more B&C quality deer killed in Texas than Wisconsin. They just don't qualify for the book cause most come from high fence ranches. Id bet there are more acres under high fence in Texas than most states have under low/no fence, so its really not a fair comparison
            I don't mean all of Texas. There are a lot of different deer densities depending on geographical area and county. Just like some counties are AR restrcted, some counties you can shoot does all year and some you get archery season and 4 days during Thanksgiving.

Not all, but I'll bet there are some counties that would benefit from a shorter rifle season, at least for a little while.

Your comparison to B&C numbers between Wisconsin and Texas isn't even close to being relative.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
              Personally, I would like to see doe tags issued to landowners in east texas and allow them to be used any time in general season. And I would like to see a Primitive Weapon season for the first two weeks in January that included archery and muzzleloader. Leave the rest of it alone.
              Agree

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                I wouldn't mind having a month long gun season , Thanksgiving thru of December. And an extended season for Archery an muzzle loader to Last weekend of in January. Archery season start Oct 1st. Keep MLD properties as is. Landowners would probably get behind it as well.

As far as not harvesting enough deer I don't think it would have much affect. More people would take up hunting with muzzle loaders. Or another idea is to make buck season as mentioned above.
                Someone gets it

Comment

Someone gets it
                  One thing that Kansas and a lot of Midwestern states do is keep guns out of peak Rut. If you open up gun season thanksgiving thru December the majority of Texas is past peak rut, with the exception of South Texas. This would allow more bucks to survive.

Comment

One thing that Kansas and a lot of Midwestern states do is keep guns out of peak Rut. If you open up gun season thanksgiving thru December the majority of Texas is past peak rut, with the exception of South Texas. This would allow more bucks to survive.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think shortening any season will hurt the state money wise, a lot of places hunting is the number one money maker. Also, if you shorten it, like Dudley, you wouldn't be able to harvest enough and then we would get even more populated and I believe it would hurt the trophy type bucks even more because some people would shoot one that's too young or one that could be really something in a year because they don't want to eat their trophy tag.

Our place would benefit from it, one reason is because it would get more feed out during one of the harsher times of years during certain seasons, we put out a lot of corn on the roads during season and after season ends it pretty much stop, so the deer aren't getting fed as much when they're in the worse shape that they've been in all year. Also, we stop buying corn like we were because we aren't using as much and that's revenue out of the feed stores pockets. Yes we start feeding protein but we would be doing both at that time and that's more money.

Comment

Your comparison to B&C numbers between Wisconsin and Texas isn't even close to being relative.
                        Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your point. I thought you were trying to say the reason Wisconsin produces more B&C bucks was due to a short season and Texas would be wise to follow their lead.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having a month long gun season , Thanksgiving thru of December. And an extended season for Archery an muzzle loader to Last weekend of in January. Archery season start Oct 1st. Keep MLD properties as is. Landowners would probably get behind it as well.

As far as not harvesting enough deer I don't think it would have much affect. More people would take up hunting with muzzle loaders. Or another idea is to make buck season as mentioned above.
                          Someone gets it
                          Exactly

Well, I'm not too keen on being force- fed someone else's idea of deer management. And more restriction.

Keep those yankee notions out of Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            Well, I'm not too keen on being force- fed someone else's idea of deer management. And more restriction.

I'd rather hunt the Midwest anyway [emoji51]

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                              I think shortening any season will hurt the state money wise, a lot of places hunting is the number one money maker. Also, if you shorten it, like Dudley, you wouldn't be able to harvest enough and then we would get even more populated and I believe it would hurt the trophy type bucks even more because some people would shoot one that's too young or one that could be really something in a year because they don't want to eat their trophy tag.

Our place would benefit from it, one reason is because it would get more feed out during one of the harsher times of years during certain seasons, we put out a lot of corn on the roads during season and after season ends it pretty much stop, so the deer aren't getting fed as much when they're in the worse shape that they've been in all year. Also, we stop buying corn like we were because we aren't using as much and that's revenue out of the feed stores pockets. Yes we start feeding protein but we would be doing both at that time and that's more money.
                              I really don't think you will see a significant drop. Statistics show the majority of deer are killed opening weekend of Rifle season, Thanksgiving Holidays and Christmas and New Years. Incorporate the Rifle season to include the Holidays you will cover probably 60-70% of deer killed in Texas. The hardcore hunters will go buy a bow and/or muzzleloader to fill the gap. As far as feed store loss it would be minimal if any. Most people don't hunt every weekend and those that do usually are places that are MLD and exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post

Quite right. The notion of shortening rifle season to force people to take up bowhunting is the most insanely SELFISH thing I think I've read on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X