Cull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bone View Post
    You must have missed the last no brow thread. According to them he will be a 160+ in the next couple years. I say shoot him now!
    Wrong he turned into a 170 ...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Young deer with a good frame. I would not cull him yet.

Comment

That's a trophy in my book, he'd get an arrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          It's hard to tell from a forward pic like that. If he's 3.5 I'd pass. It also depends on what other bucks you have. If he's 4.5 and you have better bucks then I say shoot him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I agree with this

Comment

CULL FOR SURE! Anything past 2.5 without brows gets a thump.

Comment

The TBH armchair "managers" are always so quick to cull.

Comment

Cull?

Originally posted by TxHuntFish View Post
                The TBH armchair "managers" are always so quick to cull.

If you pay attention you will learn to follow the best ones advice. The slow ones to cull seem to kill the best deer. I've learned to cull out the quick to culls advice[emoji12]. On a low fence place I realize buck to doe ratio is more important than culling a deer with no brows. If you have a good buck to doe ratio and have a solid different age class of bucks then you can "cull" certain ages of deer if they don't meet your management plan.

IF you are paying a lease or own the property and are itching to shoot a deer I don't think shooting this one deer will affect the heard one way or the other. Now having the cull this deer mentality and killing another 4 bucks in this age class may wipe out a whole age class on this particular piece of property.

Last edited by Black Ice; 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Depends what your management plan is, what the other bucks in the herd look like, and many other factors. There is no doubt that some deer become exceptions, but most people don't manage for exceptions.

Guess I am an "arm chair" manager, because I would take him on our place.

Comment

Oh LAWD.

Comment

Originally posted by Trexhntr View Post
                      Depends what your management plan is, what the other bucks in the herd look like, and many other factors. There is no doubt that some deer become exceptions, but most people don't manage for exceptions.

Guess I am an "arm chair" manager, because I would take him on our place.

I love these threads. [emoji12]They each remind us that there are different management plans for different herds. The management plan that doesn't work is the one that calls for an internet vote as to whether or not to cull a deer on a ranch that TBH knows nothing about. Do what you believe is best for your herd based on your experience with YOUR herd. So sit down with your family, lease partners, biologist or any other interested party and get their input. I will say the buck in question has a nice frame and lots of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhorn View Post
                        I love these threads. [emoji12]They each remind us that there are different management plans for different herds. The management plan that doesn't work is the one that calls for an internet vote as to whether or not to cull a deer on a ranch that TBH knows nothing about. Do what you believe is best for your herd based on your experience with YOUR herd. So sit down with your family, lease partners, biologist or any other interested party and get their input. I will say the buck in question has a nice frame and lots of potential.

Probably the best post yet on this thread.

Comment

Cull

Comment

Meh - he's just an OK 2yo. Not overly crappy, but not the type of deer you guys are probably looking for at 2, if you are in Freer and feeding Protein/Cotton Seed.

I would say that if you have tons of history on the place and know it produces 160'' plus deer, then knock this one out. If you are evaluating the herd year 1 or 2 - I would pass on all "culls/mgmt." deer unless they are 4yo +.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                              Meh - he's just an OK 2yo. Not overly crappy, but not the type of deer you guys are probably looking for at 2, if you are in Freer and feeding Protein/Cotton Seed.

I would say that if you have tons of history on the place and know it produces 160'' plus deer, then knock this one out. If you are evaluating the herd year 1 or 2 - I would pass on all "culls/mgmt." deer unless they are 4yo +.
                              I second this.... he looks young but for me it would depend on what else you have out there

Comment

Too young to cull IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X