Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
    Thanks! Interesting info. We don't use feeders much but have been pretty serious food plotters as long as I can remember, and at some places I hunt the deer feed heavily in bean fields. I'm sure those factors also contribute to concentrated numbers of deer as the article mentioned. I have considered feeding protein, I'm just not sure the deer would take to it very well so I don't want to make the investment. It's been interesting to read about y'alls set ups. Makes me wonder what my bucks might do if they'd eat that feed
    Our bucks took to the protein very well. We were very pleased to see them take to it within a week of setting up the protein feeders. We started feeding in March of last year on our current lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
      You should consider where the author lives to honestly interpret that article. His anti feeding, CWD agenda driven, angle is obvious.

Supplemental feed can do wonders for your local deer herd. It WILL add to a buck's potential and lifespan, enhance a doe's ability to reproduce, and ease the struggle of a fawn to reach adulthood. It WILL reduce the individual deer's consumption of the habitat.

Anytime deer are concentrated on a local source of nutrition they will spend more time in that area. On a small scale, they will forage more close to a feeder. If they can spread out, they will travel for a sweet spot of habitat to feed if needed. This is also true with food plots or feeders. Problems may exist on a small HF property, or a LF property if it is an island of good habitat. The author doesn't mention the effect of concentration in the veins of habitat around a corn field in the MidWest.

If we can improve their nutrition, lifespan, reproduction, and hunter opportunity, why not feed? If you can't feed through the antler growing season, there is a benefit to only feeding protein instead of corn during hunting season. Winter months are the hardest on deer in most of TX. Either way, supplemental feed works.
      Peyton- I think the author is actually from Texas. I only posted that link because I felt like it directly applied to Razrbk89's original question. Whether the author had a hidden agenda targeting the culprit of diseases such as CWD is beyond me. Either way, I did think it was a very interesting read.

I do not disagree with you at all on supplemental feeding. Good post.

Comment

another good rain last night down south where we are

Comment

More protein falling from the sky.

Comment

Put out another 1750 pounds yesterday, that's 10,150 for the year since Jan 25. There was a decline for 10 days or so but the past two weeks they have it hard again.

In regards to the article, I read it tongue in cheek the entire time. With each sentence read, I had enough thoughts totaled to write my own paper with an opposite opinion.
            Last edited by Patton; 06-21-2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

We got another 4" of rain earlier in the week. Protein feeders are getting filled this coming week so I will have an update then.

Comment

Our protein consumption has slowed way down around the Freer area. We are considering swapping back to corn slingers next month.

Good idea or keep the protein going?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Our protein consumption has slowed way down around the Freer area. We are considering swapping back to corn slingers next month.

Good idea or keep the protein going?
                  I would keep the protein available so if they want it then it is available. A few corn singers wouldn't hurt. Your does should be dropping fawns pretty soon and your bucks should be approaching the next 2 months of critical growing season for antler development.

Comment

On my small place they are still hammering it and we have been pounded with rain this year. Last week we got 12.5 inches in 6 days and 42 for the year so far.

Eating around 200-250 lbs a week at one location and 250-275 at another. Both are 600 yards apart

Comment

About 3 tons a week . Bucks are looking good. Herd will be reduced this year!!!

Comment

Feeders got filled today. Deer ate 2,600 lbs in 3 1/2 weeks.

Comment

Havent been able to checkit lately....flooded out of my lease.

Comment

I'm checking ours tomorrow. I've got a feeling they will be empty it's been two weeks.

Comment

My deer still have not messed with it. Filled them in January and they are over half full. Seeing plenty of deer, but they are not real interested in protein this year. It may be because the grass is up to their knees and still green as can be. They are going to the corn feeders some.

Comment

Consuming it on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X