2015 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 Pushmataha County Thread

Booner. Great update! Yall are getting some stuff done. It mud be nice the kids are getting to the age where they can appreciate what all goes into this. I am so glad we don't have to deal with bears like yall do! We haven't had one on camera in the last 4 years .

So I was able to check my Moultrie cameras today. As expected this was the best card pull I have ever experienced . I realize that we do manage our place and take the time to plant plenty of food each year but I never expected we would have the deer we have this season. A few them are well known from the past a a few are deer that have yet to be named . Here we go...

T-rex-well known, have his sheds the past 2 seasons. 6 yr old

G1 (the wide tall brow buck in pic) well known as rex . 6 yr old

Spike (the 5x5 with the flyer of his g2) well known as well, both sides from last year. 6 yr old

Towers-very well known, sheds from last 3 years. 6 yr old. Didn't amount to much.

Skyscraper -well known, sheds from last year . 5 yr old . Very unique deer.

No name 6x6-unsure who this is. Looks to be mature from pictures.

No name non typical . I recall this deer from last year. 4 yd old .Definitely has potential and will get a pass.

Willy wonka- don't have much history with this deer. Snapped a few pics last year and he really blew this year. Not a whole lot of good pictures either. 5x5 with. Deep fork.

The best part is these pictures only come from 2 feed locations! Haven't checked cameras yet in megatrons neck of the woods as well as our land across the road . This is proof that se ok will grow giant Midwest type deer as long as it's managed.

The game plan is to get the 60 acre irrigated food plots planted in the next 2 weeks. We will have to wait and see what the weather does before we plant the rest .
    Last edited by q-all; 08-24-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Great update. Continue to be amazed by the quality of deer you guys are growing. Great example of maximizing potential and letting them grow!

Comment

Going up Saturday to get a pig hunt in, move a camera, put up a new camera, put out another pop up and brush it in, put out more protein blocks and maybe put in some poor man plots. We will see how much we can get done over the weekend. Hoping for rain next week. Maybe next year we can put up exclusion pens for the feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by B G View Post
          Going up Saturday to get a pig hunt in, move a camera, put up a new camera, put out another pop up and brush it in, put out more protein blocks and maybe put in some poor man plots. We will see how much we can get done over the weekend. Hoping for rain next week. Maybe next year we can put up exclusion pens for the feeders.

Sounds like a packed weekend! Please pass along the LDPs once you return.

Also, how big, roughly will the poor man plots be?

Comment

Hoping to get in about 4 about 20-30 yards square. Most of them in areas that have been cleared to bare dirt by the hogs. Not going to be anything fancy at all this year with it being so late in the year and it the first year to have the lease. I'll be taking my weed eater with the tiller attachment just in case I need it.

Justin Seed has their Fall Food Plot blend $19.00/50 lbs. and I'll grab some Arrow leaf clover to mix in with it.

Put a camera up on our small pond last time I was up, set to take video. Can't wait to pull that card, also want to see if the protein blocks and rice bran had any activity.

But we have to put some pressure on those hogs so I'm hoping for a shot or two while I'm there. Maybe MWW982 and I can take out a few.

Comment

Hoping to get in about 4 about 20-30 yards square. Most of them in areas that have been cleared to bare dirt by the hogs. Not going to be anything fancy at all this year with it being so late in the year and it the first year to have the lease. I'll be taking my weed eater with the tiller attachment just in case I need it.

Justin Seed has their Fall Food Plot blend $19.00/50 lbs. and I'll grab some Arrow leaf clover to mix in with it.

Put a camera up on our small pond last time I was up, set to take video. Can't wait to pull that card, also want to see if the protein blocks and rice bran had any activity.

But we have to put some pressure on those hogs so I'm hoping for a shot or two while I'm there. Maybe MWW982 and I can take out a few.

I'm in on those plots. Hope you have some good ground to work with. Ours is rocks on top of rocks with what possibly was dirt at some point in time. Tough sledding.

Good luck on the hogs. They are wiley boogers up in this neck of the woods.

We will be back up second weekend of Sept to put our plots in. Praying for rain.

Comment

We have some decent spots but there is a lot of rock in the ground. Going to spend the next month prepping for deer and hopefully KAP or two in the mean time.

For you guys that have been hunting this area in the past have you had any issues with bears taking out or destroying your ground blinds? I know and have experienced one destroying my feeder as seen by a previous post.

Comment

Good luck on the pig killing!

What's harder on the food plots then anything planting early is when we get a few days of rain then none at all. As long the seeds don't germinate then they are fine in the ground until we get a little bit of consistent rain (like once a week) we were in the same boat as well at first with the really rocky ground but after a few years it has gotten much better.

I bet you will have some action on that camera on water .. The deer seem to consistently visit those little watering holes a few times throughout the day in my experience . We actually have sets on a few them and have had luck hand Corning around the bank.

Comment

we have had little luck with plots at our place. lots of rocks.

Comment

i use the justin seed at my place here in collin county though and love it. its a far better deal than the throw and grow crap at academy. much cheeper as well. We do not plant until the first week of october though each year.

Comment

Haven't been on here in awhile been trying to catch up on what everyone's been talking about. Those are some great bucks q-all !!

Comment

The deer have all but disappeared and there are bear everywhere. Actually seen one Friday evening while out corning some roads. They are doing some heavy logging on the surrounding places so I think that has all the bear pushed onto our place, I'm sure that has pushed our deer out.

Comment

several of the guys on our place went up last weekend and said they saw deer everywhere. even said they saw a couple shooters while filling feeders. we don't have anything ready to log on our place for at least another five years. the short pines (12-20') are the most productive spots on our place. we don't mess with the river bottoms as much now that we have them patterned.

Comment

Also we just now filled feeders and set cameras. I expect to see some bears on camera this year. anyone wanna buy a bear hunt from me? I'll sell it cheap. i hate the dang things.

Comment

We seen plenty deer while out riding around but our hand corn spots where we have been getting pictures have slowed WAY down. We don't have any cameras on feeders. There have been a couple shooters seen on the roads pretty regularly. Our best spot is in some short pines where it transitions into oaks back to pines.

Comment

Working...
                                X