When is everybody planting fall plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All DONE !

2 tons of pelletized lime, 2 tons of triple 13 and 1300 lbs mixture of oats, winter wheat, austrian winter peas, clover mix (alyce, arrowleaf, crimson, and ladino), lablab, chuffa and chicory planted on Labor day. Got a nice 1/2 rain that night and have had another 1.5" spread out over this week so far and more rain in the forecast for the next week.

Comment

Last week of September or first week of October.

Used to plant first of September, but have been burned too many times by early sept rain (crop comes up) and then no rain until October (crop failure).

Also, army worms aren't bad in October.

Wheat/oats

Comment

There is confusion between rye grass and winter/cereal/ grain rye. Even most feed stores will try to sell you rye grass. A lot of commercial no plow mixes have rye grass in them so you have to read label. Winter rye will grow in just about any soil and will survive the cold unlike oats. Out of any other seed ie wheat, brassicas, clover etc it is the most fool proof so it's worth using in any fall planting.

Comment

Mid - end of september depending on rain

Comment

We planted about 5 acres of milo in July and will be planting wheat and turnips within the next couple of weeks. Waiting on some moisture.

Comment

Planted a small test plot of oats today. 80% chance of rain Saturday and Sunday. Hoping they take because the cowpeas and soybeans didn't sprout at all.

Comment

End of September, learned that the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by ck40711 View Post
                  Does anyone plant rye grass? If so when do you put it out?
                  The problem with rye grass is that once you plant it you may never get rid of it. It will reseed itself every year and out compete anything else you try to grow. If you are looking for something to spread without having to plow I would go with oats or cereal rye and just plant it thick. If you can mow the plot and broadcast the seed into the grass mulch it will increase the germination rate dramatically, especially if planted after a rain onto wet mulch.

Comment

We will be planting oats in West Texas next Monday

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                      All DONE !

2 tons of pelletized lime, 2 tons of triple 13 and 1300 lbs mixture of oats, winter wheat, austrian winter peas, clover mix (alyce, arrowleaf, crimson, and ladino), lablab, chuffa and chicory planted on Labor day. Got a nice 1/2 rain that night and have had another 1.5" spread out over this week so far and more rain in the forecast for the next week.
                      Great news man. It sure would be nice to hunt where it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                        Great news man. It sure would be nice to hunt where it rains.
                        It has been an awesome year, just the right amount of rain. Last year was too much, our plots in the bottom lands just got too wet to do much.

Got another 1/4 inch last night

Comment

Too much rain? ? What's that like? I can tell you all about too little rain.

Comment

Been plowing all week. Aphids are causing me to switch to more winter crops. Will be awesome for the deer but I will have to learn how to hunt my place all over again. No more small kill plots, just 400+ acres of oat, wheat, vetch and cow peas. Hoping to get some rain this weekend to melt the clots, lightly disc again before what looks like a good chance of rain next Thursday. Finally, run the harrow and put the seed in the ground. Hope to have all this done the week before season opens.

Comment

im plowing all my plots under this weekend and ill go back over and lightly disc it then drill it on 9/20.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigt338 View Post
                                I just spoke with East Texas Seed here in Tyler. Sounds like they have some good mixes for east Texas. I'll be planting this weekend.
                                What are the recommending?

Comment

Working...
                                X