When is everybody planting fall plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I usually plant in Mid-Sept before a good rain but have waited until October depending on the weather. Its a crap shoot in September because of the heat.

I have planted in Sept and had to replant in October because it germinated and then got 2 weeks of hot weather and no rain. Once cereal grains and clover germinate they are very vulnerable to 90+ temps.
    Same here.

Comment

I planted the first week in August, but that was in Wisconsin. Food plots are a lot more work than I thought they would be. From what my friend is telling me they are growing slowly.

I planted a clover and Whitetail Institute Pure Attraction (Oats/Winter Peas/Brassicas).

Comment

Late Sep / Early Oct

Gets too hot for new growth in Sep if there is no rain to keep it growing - planted opening weekend of bowseason last year

Comment

Forecast where I am is calling for rain this weekend and next weekend. Never know though, but hopefully this weekend will germinate the seeds, and the second rain will be an 1"!

Comment

I planted last weekend and it rained so much that I'm afraid it's going to hurt my plot. Rained again yesterday and supposed to all this week. I'm probably going to replant once it dries out some.

Comment

Bow opener for me in Brazoria county to avoid heat & worms. I had an awesome stand last year, so no reason to rush it. .

I'd really like to disc, but its too wet at my place too.

BTW, bucks are rutting pretty hard right now. I drove my mule 30 yds from a nice 10pt, and he just stood there with his doe. He didnt care about me.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                I usually plant in Mid-Sept before a good rain but have waited until October depending on the weather. Its a crap shoot in September because of the heat.

I have planted in Sept and had to replant in October because it germinated and then got 2 weeks of hot weather and no rain. Once cereal grains and clover germinate they are very vulnerable to 90+ temps.
                Did the same thing 1 time. Sucked and expensive. I've learned now to wait until the last of September or first of October. Dried sowed the last 2 years and it's worked ok.

Comment

Brandon, I just looked at the forecast and the rain chances look pretty good 10 days out. Im going to turn my fields this weekend and get ready to plant.

Comment

Does anyone plant rye grass? If so when do you put it out?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Have the fields almost all ready. dad is wanting to plant this weekend I want to wait until the following weekend and hope/wait for a better chance of rain. Whats y'alls thought?
                      As it stands right now, I am 2 weeks late. Rain will be come scarce from now till Nov. I missed my window of opportunity last week for sure.

Comment

Why would u plant rye grass when wheat, rye, clover,chickory and such things can be planted the same way, just spread it on the dirt. The deer prefer all over the grass

Comment

Going to plant 9/20

Comment

We planted Friday, it rained Friday night, and finished Saturday morning, then it rained Sunday and Monday. Looked at one plot yesterday and it is already green.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                              Why would u plant rye grass when wheat, rye, clover,chickory and such things can be planted the same way, just spread it on the dirt. The deer prefer all over the grass
                              I thought you had to plow and plant wheat, etc. Where as rye grass you can just throw on top of the ground without plowing under. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ck40711 View Post
                                I thought you had to plow and plant wheat, etc. Where as rye grass you can just throw on top of the ground without plowing under. Am I wrong?
                                Wheat is borderline for the broadcast method.....you probably need to double the seeding rate. Cereal Rye, clover, chicory works very well just broadcasting on top....they have a smaller seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X