When is everybody planting fall plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is everybody planting fall plots

Have the fields almost all ready. dad is wanting to plant this weekend I want to wait until the following weekend and hope/wait for a better chance of rain. Whats y'alls thought?

probably in a week in 1/2 or 2 weeks
    waiting on the rain, not looking good right now

Comment

Well looks like Weather Bug and Weather Channel is giving us 70% next Wedensday and 70% next Thursday. We may be planting this weekend after all.

Comment

We planted Saturday.

Comment

So what all are you planting? Turnips, rye, etc. getting ready to plant one in a couple weeks, just wandering what is best to plant.

Comment

We planted Oats and chicory.

Comment

We are planting a mixture of oats, winter wheat, and purple top turnips. We have had good success with this in the past. On one of the Smaller plots I am going to experiement with some winter peas and clovers thrown in. Never had good luck with these but we never used a heavy arse cultipacker to firm the seed bed after planting.

Comment

I planted a mix of oats, wheat, peas and clover on 8/24. I usually plant the last week of august so come bow season I've already got some decent plant growth. I do however have an irrigation set-up. Its not much but it helps supplement between showers and get the seed germinating.

Comment

I usually plant in Mid-Sept before a good rain but have waited until October depending on the weather. Its a crap shoot in September because of the heat.

I have planted in Sept and had to replant in October because it germinated and then got 2 weeks of hot weather and no rain. Once cereal grains and clover germinate they are very vulnerable to 90+ temps.

Comment

Some of the guys at my lease planted last weekend. ..

Comment

We will plant mid-September.. Mixture of oats/clover. Deer tore them up last year!

Comment

I just spoke with East Texas Seed here in Tyler. Sounds like they have some good mixes for east Texas. I'll be planting this weekend.

Comment

I will plant at the end of Sept. to the first couple of weeks of October depending on rain forecast. Any earlier and we tend to get extremely hot weather that stunts the plants. I plant wheat in the bigger plots and have a small plot that will have wheat, turnips, and peas. It can be irrigated, though.
                          Last edited by HC Sniper; 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I had planned on spraying for weeds in 3 plots today but got rained out. Seed broker said no Ebon Rye this year due to crop failure 2014. They are saving the seed for harvesting seeds in 2015. So I will be trying some other rye grain this year, along with winter oats, winter wheat, 3 different clovers and Chicory. Soy beans nearest my stands for early season hunting. Planting will start in about 2 weeks. And I'm leaving the summer soybeans for pods this year, to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              Have the fields almost all ready. dad is wanting to plant this weekend I want to wait until the following weekend and hope/wait for a better chance of rain. Whats y'alls thought?
                              I hope Thurs or Friday

Comment

Working...
                              X