X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awwwweeee YEEEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He’s a bute Clark.

Comment

Not many can claim they killed a 10+ year old spike with a drop tine.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        Found a target for this year. Very special

Please tell me you have history with this buck, I’m dying to know it! I would LOVE to take one like that...true trophy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle V View Post
          Please tell me you have history with this buck, I’m dying to know it! I would LOVE to take one like that...true trophy!

I haven't the slightest idea what buck this might be nor any guess as to his age. Only pic I have so all I have to go on is what you see here. Does have a swollen knee. I can assure you he is the one that excites me the most and I will be chasing him and will report what I figure out.

And yep buckskin he will be turned into hamburger just like the rest.

Comment

I haven't the slightest idea what buck this might be nor any guess as to his age. Only pic I have so all I have to go on is what you see here. Does have a swollen knee. I can assure you he is the one that excites me the most and I will be chasing him and will report what I figure out.

Thanks for the response! Crazy how they can just show up out of nowhere sometimes. Sure hope y’all track him down and yes please keep us posted if y’all do.

On another note I would just like to say that I admire how you seem to appreciate age as much as you do antler size! Sure wish I had more hunters around me that thought that way too. I know growing a 200” buck is an awesome achievement and what most guys strive to do but to me a buck who can tell me what I was doing a decade ago is just as much of a trophy regardless of his headgear!!

Comment

That sucker is ancient. Cool factor all over him..

Comment

20 inch wide 3 points are hard to find. he is the only for sure shooter on this page, given the overall goal. what a conversation mount!

Comment

Lots of bucks showing up in hard antler. Also we are seeing more bucks midday than all summer. Unusual as generally late July early August is best time. I have no explanation .
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lots of bucks showing up in hard antler. Also we are seeing more bucks midday than all summer. Unusual as generally late July early August is best time. I have no explanation .
                    gosh that's a pretty buck rusty! and super fat to boot! you can tell the quality of nutrition they have to feed on by your pics this time of year.

Comment

Elgato, what would you recommend planting in black clay gumbo to increase organic matter? Would there be any benefit to rolling out a bunch of old round bales?

Comment

We are getting ready for what I consider the most important planting event of the year. Seed is in, fields are being prepped and fall planting starts today. We have a couple of different planting schemes. For the fields that are in the summer legume mix and same will be repeated next year, we are crimping the summer crop and drilling 100lbs/acre rye, 3 lbs /acre radishes and in a couple of the fields adding crimson. The crimson is for fields I intend to switch to sunflowers next year.

For the clover fields that are doing well, I'm simply going with 50 lbs/acre wheat and 3 lbs/acre radishes. I simply mow the clover fields as low as possible then drill.

There are a couple of clover fields that need refreshing so with them I am going with 50 lbs/acre wheat, 15lbs/acre arrow leaf and 3 lbs/acre radishes.

I also have a couple of fields that have been in the summer cowpea mix that I am transitioning to clover for a couple of years. I'm using the same wheat/radish mixture and adding 6 lbs/acre medium red clover. That should last a year or two before I switch them back to cowpea/sunn hemp rotation.

Lastly as an experiment I bought 50 lbs of Fixation Balansa clover that i'll mix with the wheat radish planting. That should cover about 8 acres. I understand this clover can handle very wet to standing water conditions and I certainly have some of that. First time to try...more to come on this.

No discing, not fertilizer, though we will spray glyphosate where required. Simply no till drill into the thatch. {Regular, I see no reason why this system shouldn't work in your soils. I think adding hay bales will also be valuable as long as you can get seed soil contact and for sprouts to get to sunlight}

Pics of the planting process to follow
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'll add a post script regarding summer planting.I planted some fields in straight soy beans and some in a mix of cow peas, soy beans ,sunn hemp, sunflower, and buckwheat. The weather turned cool [ cold ] and wet shortly after planting and the soybeans stalled. Even though the fields were large the deer wiped them out and the soybeans were a failure. However the mixed fields were unbelievable and are still going strong. I'll take pics as we start to crimp. Next year I will go with cow peas and sunn hemp in all the fields . Strong combo!.

Comment

Between the iron clay peas and soybeans both being legumes why do you think the peas did better that the soybeans? Just not as hearty as the peas or do the peas just handle cool weather better? In the same token how do they handle the heat?

Comment

Elgato, have you ever tried perennial peanuts? Sounds like a lot more work to establish, but heard good things about it.

Comment

Now we are having fun. Roller crimping an 11 acre field of sunn hemp, cow peas, soy beans, buck wheat and sunflower. This has been a huge success feeding lots of deer. Many of our very best bucks have been hanging around this field. The cow peas have climbed to the top of the sunn hemp which is taller than the tractor.

We will let sit a few days the spray and plant with rye, radishes and crimson. There is a 9 acre field adjacent to this that was planted in wheat and radishes a week ago and is already up doing well. So there will always be something on the table.
                                Maybe some one with better skills can rotate the pic.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X