A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Im glad you are confident in age because i would kill that double tine, freak kickered, crazy beamed, massive tine length sucker ..Opening day!
    x2

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      Wanna guess which one we will try to shoot this year?
      I am sure its the big six point but you are a better man than me! I don't care if he was a yearling the one in the middle would be DRT first chance I got!

Comment

How old is that 6 point? I know it is not the best for genetics, but it would be interesting to see how big of a 6 point you could grow.

Comment

He's a handsome buck for sure. Also the first to shed velvet. We found a pool of blood in the corn big enough to think a deer had been killed. Then this guy shows up fully stripped. Have seen that before where there is lots of blood around a camera when deer start shedding.

Refer to post 2173. Game fences offer the OPPORTUNITY to manage herd dynamics. We are certain this is a 5 yr old as we have been watching him for 3 yrs. The ramifications of shooting him now are many. We are committed to letting the best bucks fully mature which may be next yr for this dude.

There is lots of chatter about culling inferior deer to improve genetics. While I don't believe in the validity of that, what is really accomplished if we shoot the 6 pt [ which is at least 3 ] AND shoot the big one? Our strategy is to thin from the bottom of the class and leave the top of the class as long as possible. The thinning is for population control which also impacts nutrition.

And won't it be fascinating to see what one more year can do for this guy. He has made big jumps the last couple years. You can't grow 200"+ bucks if you shoot the big ones with the potential.

Of course, all that said...my neighbor just might shoot him this yr. But I won't .
          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah... i would kill him.. Giant deer Rusty. Im sure i have some polished today. Friday i had two with cracked velvet.

Comment

Looking good Rusty.. I bet a bunch of deer will be polishing this weekend going into full moon.

Comment

This is why the buck in the above photo will not get shot. Don't look at antlers rather the body. He has a ways to go yet.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is why the buck in the above photo will not get shot. Don't look at antlers rather the body. He has a ways to go yet.
                  Im the first to admit i suck at aging deer from pics. I see what you are saying but.... i would probably kill him anyway.

Comment

Thats a beautiful deer. Im afraid I couldnt pass that one. Which I have never shot one that big.

Comment

fun photo. Little more age on this group
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like some fun months ahead on the farm rusty. Lots of nontypical bucks this year!

Comment

Delicious

Comment

Found a target for this year. Very special
                            Attached Files

Comment

Call me weird, but that deer is awesome!

Comment

Ancient!!!!
                                Do ya'll still eat those super old deer? Just curious, I rarely get too see them where I hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X