Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a Moultrie 6V PowerPanel work w/ Primos Truth Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd either cut the wire between the panel and plug or splice into it... Throw in two alligator clips or Female connectors that slip over the terminals to your battery, and roll with it.

Here's some for a bushnell 6 volt cam I did... Still Working like a charm: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=285229

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
      I'd either cut the wire between the panel and plug or splice into it... Throw in two alligator clips or Female connectors that slip over the terminals to your battery, and roll with it.

Here's some for a bushnell 6 volt cam I did... Still Working like a charm: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=285229
      Remember though Coach, the Powerpanel is a "solid sealed" system. You start splicing the wires and it would stand to reason it would short the internal battery. There is no way to get inside the panel to disconnect the power to work on it.

No doubt Moultrie intended to try to force you to buy their more expensive 12v power panel system for $70!

What if i was able to rig wires from a 6v battery inside the cam and connect somehow to the internal "posts" where the D cell batteries connect?

Comment

Man.... All this talk about rigging this, splicing that and adding a battery and that convenient power panel now becomes less convenient than a standard panel anyway. I'd be putting it back in it package and heading to Academy or ordering from Amazon..

Last edited by Smart; 07-05-2013, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Man.... All this talk about rigging this, splicing that and adding a battery and that convenient power panel now becomes less convenient than a standard panel anyway. I'd be putting it back in it package and heading to Academy or ordering from Amazon..

http://m.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stor...attery&Ntk=All
          Yeah, you are right. What I saw as the big advantage of this unit was the fact it is one piece and self contained.
          If I have to build a box for a battery now any way that's not accomplishing very much IMO.

Like I said I already have plenty of rechargeable 6v batteries. I will just get a solar panel and build a "rig" if indeed the troubleshooting methods mentioned above don't prove the powerpanel will work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by rascalarms View Post
            Remember though Coach, the Powerpanel is a "solid sealed" system. You start splicing the wires and it would stand to reason it would short the internal battery. There is no way to get inside the panel to disconnect the power to work on it.

No doubt Moultrie intended to try to force you to buy their more expensive 12v power panel system for $70!

What if i was able to rig wires from a 6v battery inside the cam and connect somehow to the internal "posts" where the D cell batteries connect?
            It's 6 volts of power... Just cut it and splice it with it on... If it encounters a load it will only be 1volt of power.

Everytime you work on a solar panel it has juice flowing through the wires... Unless you're in absolute darkness.

Cut it, split the wires (the wire with wording or white on it is +) splice in your connector and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
              It's 6 volts of power... Just cut it and splice it with it on... If it encounters a load it will only be 1volt of power.

Everytime you work on a solar panel it has juice flowing through the wires... Unless you're in absolute darkness.

Cut it, split the wires (the wire with wording or white on it is +) splice in your connector and be done with it.
              So what you are saying is...just basically use it as the "solar panel" in the tgil style rigs?

Like I said, still have to build a box for the battery and now this little unit becomes just a "more expensive" solar panel.

Comment

If you have extra batts laying around its pretty simple to wire in one
                Use this

And one of these

And wire the batt between the to plugs, plug your solar panel into the female plug and
                Plug other end to your camera

Comment

Yall made me bust out my old moultrie powerpack. I set it outside for a day. It shows 0 for the internal charge level. I'm assuming the battery is toast. Has anyone ever took one apart and tried replacing the battery?.

Comment

So what you are saying is...just basically use it as the "solar panel" in the tgil style rigs?

Like I said, still have to build a box for the battery and now this little unit becomes just a "more expensive" solar panel.
                    Yup.

Comment

Update!

DING DING DING DING!! UPDATE!! GUYS, WE ARE IN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

Took the Moultrie PowerPanel back to Native Outdoors where I bought it. Had to argue with them for a bit and actually break out my voltmeter and my Truth Cam 35 (& show them the amp draw) before convincing them to "humor me" and break open a new package to let me test it!

WELL, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT! THE NEW POWERPANEL WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!

All this hassle could have been avoided IF the original one I bought wasn't defective!!!Thanks for the help Brotherhood TBHers! I was about to drive myself crazy trying to figure this thing out? I also learned a thing or 2 about batteries...the voltage may test GOOD when the battery is JUNK!

Oh well, I even bought another one while I was there (making sure to test it before I left the building!)

PASS IT ON GUYS...THIS WORKS!!! PICS TO PROVE...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good to hear!

Comment

Glad you figured it out!, but go figure a new out of the package moultrie product was defective! Let us know how long your new panel last.

Comment

Originally posted by ngyoung27 View Post
                            Glad you figured it out!, but go figure a new out of the package moultrie product was defective! Let us know how long your new panel last.
                            Yeah, and just think? IT ONLY TOOK 100+ DARN POSTS AND BARELY A WEEK TO FIGURE IT OUT!!

Comment

I'm sad this thread is over. TBH used to be full of threads like this. They have been replaced with other types of threads.

Comment

DING DING DING DING!! UPDATE!! GUYS, WE ARE IN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

Took the Moultrie PowerPanel back to Native Outdoors where I bought it. Had to argue with them for a bit and actually break out my voltmeter and my Truth Cam 35 (& show them the amp draw) before convincing them to "humor me" and break open a new package to let me test it!

WELL, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT! THE NEW POWERPANEL WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!

All this hassle could have been avoided IF the original one I bought wasn't defective!!!Thanks for the help Brotherhood TBHers! I was about to drive myself crazy trying to figure this thing out? I also learned a thing or 2 about batteries...the voltage may test GOOD when the battery is JUNK!

Oh well, I even bought another one while I was there (making sure to test it before I left the building!)

PASS IT ON GUYS...THIS WORKS!!! PICS TO PROVE...
                                Woo-Hoo! Thanks for the PM. I'll be investing as well. Great thread. Kinda the story of most of my projects as well. Always some trivial issue to keep me from easy success.

Comment

Working...
                                X